VOG Forum banner

Florida boy in for a big surprise...Chicago

4046 32
Hello everyone. I am picking up anchor pretty soon and headed to the Chicago area from Jupiter, Fl. I have never lived north of tallahassee and I know I am in for a HUGE shock. BUT, I was wondering if all you northerners could give me a few tips, pointers, etc to help extend my riding season and what is needed for winterizing the scoot when i cant ride anymore.

Whether I need it or not, I went ahead and ordered the heated grips, heated seat, and the soft leather closeouts. I know a lot of people ride with heated jacket liners and other stuff and I guess I will find out more as I get into it BUT you guys of course talk to other people and have a good idea of what is typically needed to stay warm and prolong the riding season. I am just looking for some of those tidbits.

Also, is there a pretty standard practice that everyone follows for winterizing the bike after the riding season is finally over? How late in the year can you usually ride and when can you head out again? usually? That is going to be the hardest thing of all. Not being able to hop on the bike for a full day of riding in January.

Lastly, I heard Randy’s bike shop up there is pretty good but is that the only one around worth using?

Lastly, hopefully I can meet up with some of you guys that are local. I’ll be leaving the familiar and friends behind down here in Fl and it would be nice to meet up with some other fellow Vic riders.

Thanks in advance.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts

We ride when the snow is not too deep, when that happens we hook up the raindeer to pull us around.
Just pulling your leg. We do ride till the snow falls up in the real north. As long as the road is clear with no ice or salt.
As far as storing I just cleanher up, top off fueland unhook the battery
Regards

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I ride through the winter but I stop using the bike mid November.In parts of Canada it is law to install certified snow tires on vehicles (not 4 season tires) because it is fact that tires loose their traction and stopping power at temperatures below 7*celcius (45*farenhite) so us bikers should be aware that our relatively soft bike compounds loose much of their characteristics so be aware Trickel chargers are a good idea for your battery but I just disconnect mine and store it indoors. Clean her up some and you could add a fuel stabilizer to the tank but I have never done that and it always starts easily in the spring (June) and all my previous bikes were Harleys so I don't expect a lick of trouble from my Vic. Welcome to the beginning of the NORTH

·
Registered
2,909 Posts

That is a good thing with winters tires, Your province is the only one that does this as far as I know, it should be considered here in Ontario as well because we have a pile of idiots here that think they are driving in summer conditions, something to do with were they came from I guess
Regards

·
Registered
797 Posts

marty said:
I ride through the winter but I stop using the bike mid November.In parts of Canada it is law to install certified snow tires on vehicles (not 4 season tires) because it is fact that tires loose their traction and stopping power at temperatures below 7*celcius (45*farenhite) so us bikers should be aware that our relatively soft bike compounds loose much of their characteristics so be aware Trickel chargers are a good idea for your battery but I just disconnect mine and store it indoors. Clean her up some and you could add a fuel stabilizer to the tank but I have never done that and it always starts easily in the spring (June) and all my previous bikes were Harleys so I don't expect a lick of trouble from my Vic. Welcome to the beginning of the NORTH
I'm no expert but fuel stabilizer is not only to keep the fuel fresh but it prevents varnish from building up in the fuel system including things like injectors. As with everything, too much is as bad as too little so follow the directions if you choose to use it. Personaly I use it in all my gasoline burning equipment. There was a time when we would fog the engine but with fuel stabilizer it is no longer necessary.
Nepper's nickel

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
My first thought on this matter is ARE YOU NUTS ?? Ok now that we have established that you are. Winter riding depends on you and the bike. With the Vision I can ride much deeper into the winter than most. I usually plan to ride up through the Toys for Tots Chicago ride which is always the second Sunday in December. One there is salt on the road I'm done. Salt gets into every nook and cranny and is a mother to clean. When its 0 outside its hard to use the spray washer. I usually wear a full face helmet, long johns and full leathers in the winter. (No chaps for me). As far as winterizing, last year all i did was top off the fuel (as high as you can get it) I add stabil to the fuel and i do not remove the battery. I hook it up to a battery tender and that's it. Some people lift the bike so the tires are not on the ground. Nah put about 10 extra lbs in each one and they are fine. My garage is not heated (Unless im working out there, then its 70 degrees) but even on the coldest of days it usually doesn't dip below 0. As far as Randys goes, The place is the only game in the area but its top notch !

·
Registered
6,116 Posts

You are moving from Jupiter, FL to Chicago, IL?......and you've never lived north of Tallahassee? WOW!
May the Lord have mercy on your soul. I got a cold chill just reading that.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts

In all seriousness, Randy's Cycle is one of the best dealers in the country and you'll get some great service. As for extending your riding season, keep this one thing in mind: its all about getting out of the wind. All the heated gear in the world won't do crap with that cold midwest wind blowing.
The best money you could spend would be on soft lowers for the crash bars, fork lowers, any wind deflectors, and a tall windshield. If you can keep the wind off of you then you have a fighting chance to deal with the ambient temps.
With all that being said, October in Chicago will be colder than anything you have ever experienced so take it easy this fall.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
phoenix9 said:
In all seriousness, Randy's Cycle is one of the best dealers in the country and you'll get some great service. As for extending your riding season, keep this one thing in mind: its all about getting out of the wind. All the heated gear in the world won't do crap with that cold midwest wind blowing.
The best money you could spend would be on soft lowers for the crash bars, fork lowers, any wind deflectors, and a tall windshield. If you can keep the wind off of you then you have a fighting chance to deal with the ambient temps.
With all that being said, October in Chicago will be colder than anything you have ever experienced so take it easy this fall.
+1

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
my season never ends because of cold. Freezing rain and snow end my season. I found out a few years ago that you don't want to ride in those conditions. I made it home but won't take the risk again.

Other than that, good gloves, a balaclava and chaps you should be ok for daily commutes to work and back.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input. I know it will be cold. That's the part that frightens me the most. 4-6 months of cold weather. as opposed to 4-6 days of it where i'm coming from.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The tall w/shield, heated grips, soft lowers, insulated lining in my leather and leather chaps worked for me. Also a good winter pair of gloves along with long johns and my Shark Evoline 3/4 to full helmet really did the trick. Stabil in the fuel and a battery tender is all it takes while the bike sits out the winter.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Welcome to the Great Lakes Region.
Hey, the winter just makes us appreciate our short riding season more... Yeah, thats my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Don't forget the Chicago motorcycle show in Feb. That counts for something, right?
Ken

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I used to have to do all that stuff......now I just hit the "UP" buttonfor my windshield. Works pretty good.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What kind of battery tender are you guys using? I haven't had to take my seat off for anything but i am assuming the battery is tucked under it. I know there are tenders that have an adaptor so you can use it without always having to remove the seat. is that what most of you are using?

Chaps are also something i have never needed. Jeans were as heavy as it got down here. and a LIGHT leather jacket in the winter. There are so many damn options for this stuff. Guess the half helmet will have to go too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.