VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2008 VV TP this past June. I upgraded from a Kawi 900 classic, man what an upgrade! So the main reason for getting the new bike was my desire to do some touring. So we decided we'd ride to Mackinac City Michigan and tour the UP. Well, we just got back from a 3 day trip where we logged 900 miles and although we had a great time, we certainly learned what touring can be all about.

We had looked at the weather forecast and saw it was supposed to be crummy the first day and better the next several days, so we rode part way and stopped for the night in Holland MI, cool town and we had a great time. I had chosen a route that would take us along the west coast line up to Mackinac so we could ride through small towns and just enjoy the ride. Well, the weather worsened, the wind picked up, gusts, to 30mph, the temp dropped and the sun disappeared and we rode through pockets of rain. 8 hours later we arrived in Mackinac in a down pour, thie winds were howling and we both pretty beat. Got a place for the nite, went and had some dinner and looked at the weather report for the next day... Colder still, windier still, more rain... We decided we weren't gonna make the UP afterall, so we went outside looked across the strait and saw the UP.... it's as close as we got!

The next morning we loaded up, and took off in 50F weather, with high winds and rain. It got as low as 48, this pattern lasted for 200 miles. Finally the rain stopped, and it warmed up a little! However the wind was relentless for the entire trip. So, we made it home after 420 miles in some grueling conditions, but we really had a good time. It was just a shame it didn't work out a little better!

Now given the description of our trip, there is NO OTHER bike I would have wanted to be on! The wind and rain protection was great, the handling in the strong cross winds was confident, the seats never got uncomfortable, and heated seats and grips helped a lot...

Moving to the Vision has been a big learning experience for me. It's a much larger bike than I was used to and has taken a lot for me to get comfortable on it, especially two up... but I can honestly say at the end of this trip, I am more confident on it than my last bike! Anyway, we'll probably pick up some more day trips before the season ends this year, but our next road trip will be next year... We're thinking something a little warmer next time!

Ride Safe
Bix

PS, it is beautiful here today... no wind, no rain, sun shining... doesn't it just figure! lol

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

Vission's are a GREAT bike!!! Enjoy

·
Registered
58 Posts

Great post; I love it! Lots of people ride, but only a real rider would comment on how great the ride was after dealing with those rough conditions. After riding 200 miles this summer with my brother(Nomad) and bro.-in-law/sister(RoadKing) in perfect conditions on gorgeous Great Smokey Mountain roads, all were tired and ready to be back at my sisters house. All, except me and my wife, who called the relatives "wusses" for not wanting to ride the next day; pretty funny, especially considering that her and I rode on my bro.-in-laws "other" bike, a '92 Softail!!
The VV is the perfect bike for, uh, riders - real ones!! Enjoy!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad weather on your trip, sounds about like the first trip to the UP we had, rode in rain and fog for 400 miles.Our last to the UP was great a little windy, but great. Temps in the mid 80's all the way to copper harbor. I would highly recommend a trip up to copper harbor. I'll post some pic's soon in my gallery. Ride safe friend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.