VOG Forum banner

First oil change!

6K views 63 replies 27 participants last post by  kindredghost 
#1 ·
I just changed the oil (all by myself, even) for the first time (other than the break in service). I used the 6qt Victory oil change kit, one of Witchdoctors K&P oil filters and topped it off with a black Mastiff dipstick. (Thank you Jon and Capt Dipstick!) I didn't warm up the motor but it's been sitting in my 90* garage since yesterday. I drained the oil until it barely dripped then sort of shook the bike via the rear tipover. A few seconds later, the oil started flowing again (somewhere between a drip and a stream...NOT like it did when I first removed the drain plug). Once it got back down to an occasional drip, I put the new crush washer on the plug and started to screw it into the bike. Then I removed the plug and removed the old crush washer (then put the plug in with the new crush washer). Adding the new oil is a PITA. That "funnel" thing Vic includes in the kit is only sort of handy. 1/2 way through adding the oil, I went searching for another funnel (which I couldn't find). (Note to MaVic: For $70, add a real funnel.) I checked the oil and found it was about a 1/2" higher than the top mark on the dipstick. I figure this could be because all the old oil wasn't drained, I had the bike slightly too far to the right when checking it or there really is too much oil. Unless I hear otherwise, I think I"ll leave it. If it's too full, it can't be by much. No leaks and I think I wiped up all the lost oil. If I go with the Vic kit next time, I'll be sure to get the 4.5qt kit as it's almost impossible to get exactly a 1/2 quart from a 1 qt bottle when there's no clear measuring area in the bottle.
It's supposed to rain tomorrow but I'll ride it to work on Thursday. I guess, as long as it doesn't blow up, it's a success.

See less See more
#3 ·

Capt Dipstick.... now thats funny

#4 ·

Good job Monkey
one way to get that half qt.,, i have a plastic bottle bought brand spanking new at the dollar store, it has markings indicating ounces, all the way up to one qt.I just dump a quart of oil in the bottle until its at the 1/2qt. mark hell its almost like magic.LOL!

#8 ·

dsjr70 said:
I have to ask... Why buy the oil change kit if you are going to buy the oil filter from Witchdoctors? Why not just buy the bulk oil and save the money?
My dealer didn't have the oil in bulk and for this oil change, I wanted Vic oil. Not sure what I'll go with next time. I also wanted a new crush washer and I thought the "funnel" was actually, you know, a funnel. I figured it would be the best deal. I may have been mistaken. :)

#9 ·

Good job on the oil change. The Vision is pretty simple and much easier that it was on my old Yamaha Roadstar. Why did you go with a K&N oil filter instead of the Vic filter that comes with the kit? Also note that the 4.5 quart kit is nearly the same price as the 6 quart kit. Might be a $10 difference? However, with the 6 quart kit every 4th oil change is free.

#10 ·

bikergeek said:
Don't overfill the crankcase, too much oil can be a bad thing!
True but I'm not sure how much 1/2" over the filled up line is. It might not be a big deal. Since I have an extra qt and a half, it wouldn't be a big deal to loosen the drain plug to drain some out. If I accidentally drain too much, I can top it off. On the other hand, I don't want to screw with that if I don't need to.

#11 ·

Gambit said:
The key to getting all the oil out is to sit on bike and stand it straight up for about 30-60 seconds. That should get that last bit out. I can only speak for Visions.
I was just following radioteachers oil change video. Thanks for the tip. Next time, I'll stand the bike up for a minute or so.

#12 ·

MeSeaHunt said:
Capt Dipstick.... now thats funny
I think I forgot his name in one of the emails between me and his OL before I ordered the dipstick. Since he's overseas (in the military, I imagine), I referred to him as Capt Dipstick. Seemed apt. :)

#13 ·

Years ago i had a drain plug on my Jeep that you could drain the oil without removing the plug,worked very good even doing hard core off roading.
Going to look around & see if i can find them.

#14 ·

steve76t said:
Good job on the oil change. The Vision is pretty simple and much easier that it was on my old Yamaha Roadstar. Why did you go with a K&N oil filter instead of the Vic filter that comes with the kit? Also note that the 4.5 quart kit is nearly the same price as the 6 quart kit. Might be a $10 difference? However, with the 6 quart kit every 4th oil change is free.
When I bought the filter from Jon last Christmas, there were some pretty healthy debates going on about filter quality including potential issues with the OEM Vic filter. Since there's a good chance this will be the last Vic oil I'll use, I figured it made sense to buy the K&P since it's reusable. It wasn't for the looks as I bought the all black one (damn near invisible under the bike). If I happen to go with Vic oil next time (God willing, some time in the fall), I'll have to see what the price difference is between the 2 kits. For 10 bucks, I'd probably go with the 6qt kit. I thought there was a bigger difference.

#16 ·

Looks like a neat idea but they don't seem to have a model to fit the Victory and I'm not sure how well something hanging down from the bottom of the bike would work. I'd hate to rip it off.

#17 ·

Monkeyman said:
Looks like a neat idea but they don't seem to have a model to fit the Victory and I'm not sure how well something hanging down from the bottom of the bike would work. I'd hate to rip it off.
I just sent them a question,do they have them for Victory Motorcycles?

#18 ·

Monkeyman said:
I hear ya,dont know how far they hang down,shure arent flush.

#19 ·
Monkeyman said:
True but I'm not sure how much 1/2" over the filled up line is. It might not be a big deal. Since I have an extra qt and a half, it wouldn't be a big deal to loosen the drain plug to drain some out. If I accidentally drain too much, I can top it off. On the other hand, I don't want to screw with that if I don't need to.
Go to any drug store and get a large syringe and piece of tubing. Then suck out some oil. No need to pull the drain plug.

#20 ·

Monkeyman said:
...Adding the new oil is a PITA. That "funnel" thing Vic includes in the kit is only sort of handy. 1/2 way through adding the oil, I went searching for another funnel (which I couldn't find). (Note to MaVic: For $70, add a real funnel.)
I bought a Flo Tool Tight Spot funnel at Walmart and it works great. They don't have the price online but I think it was around $5 or $6

Monkeyman said:
I checked the oil and found it was about a 1/2" higher than the top mark on the dipstick. I figure this could be because all the old oil wasn't drained, I had the bike slightly too far to the right when checking it or there really is too much oil. Unless I hear otherwise, I think I"ll leave it. If it's too full, it can't be by much.
First time I changed my oil I over filled it. I cleaned my oil drain pan and drained some out by removing the drain plug but kept it close enough to put it back in quickly. Then I checked my level. Since I cleaned the pan I could put the oil back in if I drained too much.

#23 ·

goatlocker95 said:
I don't know how easy I wan't to make it to drain the oil. It might drain when I don't want it too
I might spring for one see if it is a quality plug/drain Just wating for them to answer my question ''do you have them for Victory Motorcycles''?I would guess they do not something that has a 1,000 different sizes.

#24 ·

No way I would try to put ANYTHING that stuck out lower than stock. My buddy was leaving the autoparts store on his kingpin last summer, had his son on the back. There is a slight rise in the concrete driveway leaving the place. Forms a sort of drainage path. He felt the bottom of the bike hit that slight lip, thought nothing of it. A couple days after that happened, I glanced under his bike, saw oil, and pointed it out to him. We both looked, knowing damn well that for a Victory to leak oil is a sure sign of hell freezing over. Drain plug head had been shaved down to almost nothing. Luckily for him, it was a very slow drip, and we checked the oil and it was still in the safe range. Had to lay the bike over on its side, and very carefully drill a hole through the drainplug, then an EZ-out to back it off. Needless to say, we are both extra careful when leaving that auto parts store now, especially if we are 2-up.

#25 ·

Thank you for contacting us.
Since Victory motorcycle has only one thread size on all models which is 12mm-1.5.
So a valve, F109, would be the one.

If anyone is intrested,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.