VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a lot of years waiting for my wife to get done with school and waiting for the right deal in this Central FL housing market to appear, we are closing on our 1st house today at 1530. I am 32 and she is 29 this will our 1st home together no more apartment bull shi*. House needs a lot of work but at the price we got it at can't complain to much. We will actually be staying in the apartment for the rest of this month while we replace all the flooring, paint, and clean up. This house is 1960 block we will be the second owner since built, that's nice but the original owner retained the 1960 style until he passed away. Shag nasty red, brown, orange carpet, yellow nasty linoleum in kitchen and bathrooms. All the old pink tile in one bathroom and green in the other. At least the roof was replaced in Oct 18. I will try to get pics if I can remember of where we start and as we progress. This first month is going to be a lot of work, but will be happy I believe. Waiting on next year tax return to do the bathrooms then the following year will be kitchen. This will be a big project but at least it will be ours and we can say we did it all, wish me luck. Minneola, Lake County, here we come so long Bushnell, Sumter County.

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
So after a lot of years waiting for my wife to get done with school and waiting for the right deal in this Central FL housing market to appear, we are closing on our 1st house today at 1530. I am 32 and she is 29 this will our 1st home together no more apartment bull shi*. House needs a lot of work but at the price we got it at can't complain to much. We will actually be staying in the apartment for the rest of this month while we replace all the flooring, paint, and clean up. This house is 1960 block we will be the second owner since built, that's nice but the original owner retained the 1960 style until he passed away. Shag nasty red, brown, orange carpet, yellow nasty linoleum in kitchen and bathrooms. All the old pink tile in one bathroom and green in the other. At least the roof was replaced in Oct 18. I will try to get pics if I can remember of where we start and as we progress. This first month is going to be a lot of work, but will be happy I believe. Waiting on next year tax return to do the bathrooms then the following year will be kitchen. This will be a big project but at least it will be ours and we can say we did it all, wish me luck. Minneola, Lake County, here we come so long Bushnell, Sumter County.
You will be in a great area for motorcycling. Mt Dora and neighboring towns have great places to visit. Leesburg Bikefest is the end of April so you have that to look forward to as well. Absolutely the best place in Florida to ride ! Enjoy !

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
You will be in a great area for motorcycling. Mt Dora and neighboring towns have great places to visit. Leesburg Bikefest is the end of April so you have that to look forward to as well. Absolutely the best place in Florida to ride ! Enjoy !
My cousin owns JJ's there in Mt. Dora. A lot of bike roll through there.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Congratulations young man, let the fun begin. Have fun "doing it" in every room of the house. I know we did, :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Good Job
Home ownership is a great feeling once you are in. You can buy another house and not have to scrape the down payment
and with the Tax deductions you make a bit lowering your mounthly cost of ownership

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
congrats on the homestead but just remember it's not all kisses and love.

Things break, leak, need replacement. That's all on you now so try and keep some $$$ for those kind of surprises.

Don't try and do it all at once, take your time and do it your way, that way it becomes yours.

However home ownership is like nothing else and you'll love it looking back.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Congratulations on homeownership! Be aware while you’re remodeling in a structure of that vintage that the linoleum, adhesive, drywall joint compound, etc. most likely contains some percentage of asbestos-hopefully you got an environmental report as part of the deal so you know exactly what you’re getting into & precautions to take.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Congratulations bud! First house is always exciting.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
Having your own house is much better than an apartment.... Especially a courtesy apartment.

It's great coming home and getting to stay naked without the worry of having to deal with drunks having a loud party or trespassers having sex in the hot tub.

Now you'll get to worry about your own place and you'll always have something needing doing. I know I do.

It really is the best though. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Pretty exciting. Real estate is a wonderful investment.
I am in the middle of building my 5th house. Never lived in a used house, haha.
Pouring concrete next week, some inspections today.

Everything you do will increase the value and pay off in spades later. I usually tell folks your age to make a 5 year plan and move to the next place. The profit is TAX FREE and you can invest in another project and make even more the next time.

It sure helped me to be debt free. No mortgage or rent of any kind. Love it.

Congratulations!!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I grew up in this area, I have ridden all these places and roads.

Reactions: BoilerMan

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Even better yet! When I come visit......you can show me around !
We do the Leesburg bike fest every year. Only one worth going to in my opinion. We get to do a lot of riding and then park the bikes at night and enjoy beautiful downtown Mount Dora. We usually stay at the Farnsworth House bed-and-breakfast. Our group takes up the whole house for the whole event.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.