VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a few weeks and alot of driving to finally see the color I wanted... and then a few days of phone calls to dealers and many vastly different stated MSRP's and "great" offers. Supposed to be delivered in 3 weeks or so.. The IPOD cable I do want to get fer sure... Is this something that any intelligent person ( my wife is laughing as i type the intelligent part ) who does all his own bike maintenence can easily do? The seat comes pre cut for a drivers backrest Utopia or Vision factory back rest? I know absolutely nothing about either backrest so if anyone has experience I am all ears. Will post more questions as they pop into my brain.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
The IPod cable is easy. Are you mechanically inclined at all? Either way, get the Service manual if you want to work on your bike, would be a good investment. Don't know about the backrest, sorry.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Congrats on a great decision! Go to you tube and check out the Utopia Seat install video for the Victory Vision. That'll give you a measure of what it all requires.

·
Registered
6,128 Posts

I have the Utopia backrest and I can almost guarrantee you that the stock "cutout design" for the driver's backrest will NOT work with the Utopia.....JMO. I would say the Victory backrest is going to be the one you will need to get.As for the Utopia,the producthas been great but check before you buy.They are a First class company with service that is second to none.
Just my opinion so I would definately ask your local dealer if you decide to go the "Utopia route".

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
iPod cable is a peice of cake, the other part you need is the audio harness and although it was simple half your bike needs to come apart to install it...

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I agree with Mark. I also have the utopia and i absolutely love it. But i doubt the cut in the seat is the same location as the factory one. If it does, i would get the Utopia. I also have the easy out option on mine. (69$ option)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dsjr70 said:
iPod cable is a peice of cake, the other part you need is the audio harness and although it was simple half your bike needs to come apart to install it...
Audio harness?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts

Congratulations on the new bike. Is yours the blue and sand one? Can you tell us a bit more about all your phone calls to different dealers and how different the OTD costs were?
Thank You,
Mark

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

ammo said:
dsjr70 said:
Audio harness?
Yep, the iPod cable is a short 6" cable that plugs into the audio harness (140.00?). The audio harness runs from the back of your radio to the back of your bike and it allows you to hookup the XM radio, iPod and the CD player(I think). You have to take off the dash console, seat and trunk to hookup. I would recommend if you are going to get the XM radio do it all at one time.

·
Registered
207 Posts

ammo said:
Took a few weeks and alot of driving to finally see the color I wanted... and then a few days of phone calls to dealers and many vastly different stated MSRP's and "great" offers. Supposed to be delivered in 3 weeks or so.. The IPOD cable I do want to get fer sure... Is this something that any intelligent person ( my wife is laughing as i type the intelligent part ) who does all his own bike maintenence can easily do? The seat comes pre cut for a drivers backrest Utopia or Vision factory back rest? I know absolutely nothing about either backrest so if anyone has experience I am all ears. Will post more questions as they pop into my brain.
Congrats on the new purchase. I don't want to discourage you, and it may be different depending on where you are located, but when I ordered my 2010 Tour Premium ABS the dealer initially suggested it may be in in about three weeks. That eventually changed into an eight week wait. It was just shipped from the factory last Friday and will take another 8 to 10 days to get tomy dealer near Toronto. It was officially ordered on Nov 30th.

·
Registered
207 Posts
dsjr70 said:
ammo said:
dsjr70 said:
Audio harness?
Yep, the iPod cable is a short 6" cable that plugs into the audio harness (140.00?). The audio harness runs from the back of your radio to the back of your bike and it allows you to hookup the XM radio, iPod and the CD player(I think). You have to take off the dash console, seat and trunk to hookup. I would recommend if you are going to get the XM radio do it all at one time.
I was led to believe that you only need the longer audio harness for your i-pod connection if you want to be able to carry / store the i-pod in your saddlebag instead in the glove box. I ordered the i-pod connection cable with my bike (which I am still waiting for) and the sales rep didn't mention anything about having to order a second wiring harness.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Unfortunately or fortunately you will learn more on the web then your dealer ever will. The outlet in your glove box is a mini head phone jack. Yes you can hear your iPod or MP3 but you can not control them. The jack in the back of your bike controls and charges your iPod. If you spent 49.99 on the adapter you will still need the audio harness..
Andy or Kevin please correct me if I got to close to the glue...lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
dsjr70 said:
Unfortunately or fortunately you will learn more on the web then your dealer ever will. The outlet in your glove box is a mini head phone jack. Yes you can hear your iPod or MP3 but you can not control them. The jack in the back of your bike controls and charges your iPod. If you spent 49.99 on the adapter you will still need the audio harness..
Thei-pod cable I ordered was priced at approx. $150.00 CDN. Based on the picture I saw of it, itappears to havethe proper connectors to plug into the factory harness, but it doesn't look like it would be long enough to run from the stereo to the rear of the bike. I know there is an optional audio harness that is also required if you want to install the CB radio. I do recall reading that the extended harness is required if you want to locate your i-pod somewhere other than in the glovebox. I guess I will find out for sure once my machine arrives in another 5 to 10 days.

·
Registered
92 Posts
phoenix9 said:
I have the Utopia backrest and I can almost guarrantee you that the stock "cutout design" for the driver's backrest will NOT work with the Utopia.....JMO. I would say the Victory backrest is going to be the one you will need to get.As for the Utopia,the producthas been great but check before you buy.They are a First class company with service that is second to none.
Just my opinion so I would definately ask your local dealer if you decide to go the "Utopia route".
I sent my seat to Utopia for them to fab a new bracket for the 2010 bikes. The 2010 mount is or should be available very, very, soon. My seat with bracket should be back today.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
ManWithAVision said:
dsjr70 said:
Thei-pod cable I ordered was priced at approx. $150.00 CDN. Based on the picture I saw of it, itappears to havethe proper connectors to plug into the factory harness, but it doesn't look like it would be long enough to run from the stereo to the rear of the bike. I know there is an optional audio harness that is also required if you want to install the CB radio. I do recall reading that the extended harness is required if you want to locate your i-pod somewhere other than in the glovebox. I guess I will find out for sure once my machine arrives in another 5 to 10 days.
I recieved a call today about the information I gave on this topic. My info is a little off. The iPod cable that is $49.00 is all you need and your iPod will mount in the glove box. I installed the harness on my own and had the iPod cable installed for me because I just didn't want to mess with it. My installation is not a typical one, the tech that did the install also has a Vision and when he seen my mp3 player figured I wanted both and since the mp3 doesn't have controls he left it in the little glove box and mounted the iPod in the side bag. He spliced the mp3 player into the cd input of the audio harness, I just checked it out and both work fine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
dsjr70 said:
ManWithAVision said:
dsjr70 said:
I recieved a call today about the information I gave on this topic. My info is a little off. The iPod cable that is $49.00 is all you need and your iPod will mount in the glove box. I installed the harness on my own and had the iPod cable installed for me because I just didn't want to mess with it. My installation is not a typical one, the tech that did the install also has a Vision and when he seen my mp3 player figured I wanted both and since the mp3 doesn't have controls he left it in the little glove box and mounted the iPod in the side bag. He spliced the mp3 player into the cd input of the audio harness, I just checked it out and both work fine.
It is a wee bit confusing as the one they show on the Victory / Polaris site appears to come with the short cord and the long audio harness. The listed price is $120.00. Maybe I'll just get a really long USB extension and leave the pod plugged into my CPU at home (lol). I enjoy dismantling things anyway, So if I have to take the bike apart to install it I'll have lots of time to get it back together before spring arrives. Although the dealer did say that any accessories that I order with the bike would be install at no extra charge!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I believe the cord you are looking at is the one for the XC. The Vision has the connector right at the left glove box, just went out and checked since I have it apart anyway...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whoooaaaa.. now I'm confused...

So the 50.00 dollar short ipod cord that goes into the left side tank pocket will allow you to control the ipod thru the visions radio?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

ammo said:
Whoooaaaa.. now I'm confused...

So the 50.00 dollar short ipod cord that goes into the left side tank pocket will allow you to control the ipod thru the visions radio?
Yep, I was told the longer one is for the XC because it goes in the saddlebag

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.