Failing regulator? | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Failing regulator?

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Blackened, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Blackened

Blackened Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Vegas 8-ball
    So I was doing a little late season maintenance today. Fresh oil, tires and just a general once over because I'm planning to ride to NY from VA on Thursday.

I recently got a fixed dash voltmeter for my VFR and had a USB plug/Voltmeter power outlet (Cig lighter style) that I moved over to the Vic. I fired the bike up after the oil change to check for leaks and noticed the voltmeter reading around 13.8. I held the engine throttle at about 2000 RPM's and it went up to 14.4 where it bounced back and forth between 14.3 and 14.4. When the engine is off I'm getting around 13 and with the key in the ON position about 12.7

I unfortunately didn't have any earlier readings so for all I know this has always been like this. I took a multi-meter to it and it was off by about .1 from what the gauge was showing.

I'm not sure if this is normal or if I'm about to cancel my ride. I really didn't want to have to drive. :(

Anyone else got some readings they can share? 2013 Vegas...

2. Blackened

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    I might have jumped the gun here...

All of my specs seem correct. If anyone feels this is wrong let me know!

3. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Your numbers look good.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Pauljp

Pauljp Well-Known Member

2014 Cross County Tour
    It is only my opinion but, the only job the regulator/rectifier (R/R) output has to do is keep a steady voltage no matter what devices you have running and no matter what RPM you are at.
    It should maintain about 14.6 volts DC. It should be rock solid at that voltage and not move even in the slightest.
    If it varies the voltage then the R/R needs to be replaced. The guy in the video you attached said that the R/R is bad on that bike. 16-18 volts that he was getting will fry the expensive electronics real quick.
    Anyway, as I said, it is just my opinion. You said with your bike running you were getting between 13.8 and 14.4 volts. I would replace the R/R

5. Blackened

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    Yeah, my VFR reads about 11.6 at rest and then something like 12.4 at idle. I think that is what got me concerned.

Thanks for the response Paul. It maintains about 14.4 once the engine rev's up. Idle will always produce a little less than when the engine speed is brought up. It's supposed to shunt the overcharge once it gets to a certain point. the guy in the vid went up to 17+ and even mentioned it would have kept climbing had he not let off. Mine isn't doing that.

Ats mentioned earlier, I think the R/R is fine, though it shifts my concern as the VFR is considerably lower in numbers making me question the battery I just bought a few months ago. Anyways... That was what got me thinking the Vic was overcharging in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    The first thing you should check when the charging voltage starts floating around are your cable ends, all of the grounds and positive cables, clean and tight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. John G

John G Active Member

Victory Vegas 8 ball
    I’d say the Vic is good. Voltage will fluctuate as demand comes and goes while it’s running. It will never be rock solid. I had a 2007 VFR. the voltage on yours seems low to me. On your vfr, after checking tightness of terminals and grounds, check the voltage when you are riding. I would expect to see around 14 volts or so. Key on, engine not running on any bike you will be reading somewhere around 12 volts or so plus or minus, depending on your battery condition.

any bike is consuming battery power while running, ignition, lights etc so the charging system is constantly feeding it. The “ overcharge “ voltage on most 13 volt systems is 14.2 to say 14.7. A 12 volt battery is the nominal rating of 12 volts. Not the operating voltage necessarily. I hope this helps.

8. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    When your bike is running and your riding does the voltage reading ever climb above 14.5,6,7 ?
    If not then your RR is doing it’s job. As Jmustang pointed out ..... check all connections. Clean those connections. I found my 40 amp circuit breaker had a stripped lug. The cables attached were loose enough to spin around easily. While it was apart I also went to all connections including the ground by the starter. Cleaned and re attached. Got a couple 1/4 turns out of the positive on the starter too. You know I cleaned the battery terminals as well. After all that and a new 40 amp CB. Rock solid.

9. Blackened

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    I got the chance to get it out last night for a pre-trip shakedown and everything seems okay. At 3500 rpms it was running a steady 14.4.

Apologies guys, I definitely let my paranoia get the best of me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kaitiff

kaitiff Well-Known Member

14 XC/07 KPT
    We are our own worst enemy sometimes. I had an 800cc Suzuki Volusia before I got on the Vics and I did the homebrew upgrades to it, jet kit and filter mods. It ran fantastic! We were out on a ride, my buddy on his Volusia too and he mentioned that he smelled gas when we pulled up at a light after getting on it pretty good through some twisties. Once he said that I was hyper-aware of every little thing.. and eventually tore into the carb and started screwing with it. It never ran as good again. I didn't have access to a dyno, at least not one that didn't want to charge far more than I was willing to pay so I just 'lived with it'. It didn't run bad or anything, in fact after I got my vic my son inherited the Volusia and rode it for a while afterwards and really enjoyed it. Glad your problem turned out to be between the handlebars and the seat, and not the bike. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Mine started dropping when I came to a stop and it turned out to be the battery went bad FYI.

12. Blackened

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    Well I made it to NY and everything was fine. Reg is definitely doing its job. That said, I'm getting one as a back up.

I did run into another weird issue though. Vibration.

Seems like I, hit 15mph and the bike gets this weird vibration in the front end until I hit about 20. Tires are new and they used balance beads in them which I've used before with no issue. I don't think it's the wheel bearings as it was smooth as glass prior to the tire swap. Tires look fine, belt is snug, tire pressure is good, at highway speeds it is smooth enough... Any thoughts or suggestions here guys? I can't seem to find anything amiss here.

13. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Active Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    Could b the tire, had a new car tire that couldn’t b balanced once & they ended up swapping for another tire.

14. Dan050

Dan050 Well-Known Member

Cross Country Tour
    You said belt is snug. But TOO snug can cause a vibration that seems like its coming from the front. Mine sounded like big truck brakes at slow speed when belt was too tight.

15. Blackened

2013 Vegas 8-ball
    Thanks Dan. I did tighten it a bit when I put on the rear wheel. Bet that is what it is. I'll loosen it up, to see if it helps.

• Like Like x 1