EZ Clutch setup woes | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

EZ Clutch setup woes

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Diamond Dave, Sep 8, 2020.

1. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    Everything is made by spectro

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Two great lube companies coming together? The possibilities are endless!

3. 1stVictory

1stVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Pearl White CC Tour
    The 3rd great lube company is K-Y Jelly. Used when the rider is celebrating a successful repair job on the bike.

4. John G

John G Active Member

Victory Vegas 8 ball
    I have a Barnett clutch cable on my 13 Vegas 8 ball. It really helped. I too, tried the EZ clutch and I could not get it adjusted. I had the same problems you discuss before even starting the bike. To get the clutch to properly engage I had to tension the cable so there was a load on it. So I removed it and returned it. Other folks swear by them.
    A possible reason for the difference in bikes could be due to poor quality control in manufacturing the clutch rod and arm down in the gearbox. I felt that if I had been able to move the arm a little further outboard and change the angle it sits at, then the EZ clutch arm would have worked. I loved the easy pull of the EZ clutch arm. After I sent the EZ clutch back I installed the Barnett cable. It really has helped.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John G

John G Active Member

Victory Vegas 8 ball
    One more thing. The difference in clutch plate thicknesses might also affect the angle of the clutch arm. I did look into installing a hydraulic clutch mechanism, but the problem is, the cylinder diameter for master and slave cylinders are the same so there is no hydraulic advantage, and Consequently, no lesser pull On the lever. If you up the slave cylinder diameter to get more power advantage, then it will take more lever travel, which will put you back to the same issues as the EZ clutch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mario M.

Mario M. New Member

Victory Vision and Cross Country
    Interesting, I install an EZ pull this Saturday. I rode around town a little (nothing long). I did check the tension the next morning to insure it has a little slack......thanks for posting this: I'll keep and eye out (don't want a fried clutch).

7. John G

John G Active Member

Victory Vegas 8 ball
    I’d say you are in good shape if you have some slack, and you can get it into gear without the bike jumping or trying to move forward when in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

8. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    A "little slack" isn't near enough with these bikes if you ride hard.

9. Motorbikerx

Motorbikerx Active Member

Victory Vegas Low 2010
    Over 100,000 miles on my 2010 Vegas 109/.495 cams, tubes, RPW pipes.
    And EZ-CLUTCH the cheaper version I might add.
    ADJUSTMENT is CRITICAL.
    If you're not into maintainance forget about it.
    One flat of the nut is all it takes every second oil change, not one turn, one flat.
    Most Vic's have a light clutch anyway and don't need the EZ
    My XC is fine stock
    My Vegas has always been heavy, I had the dearer EZ fitted without drama up till I worked the engine.
    At that time I fitted a Scorpion which was way too heavy, and EZ wouldn't work with it.
    Went back to stock clutch on good advice from HalfCrazy and Kevinx that stock clutch will cope with 130HP easy.
    2010 has the green spring which is heavier than others too.

All Vic's seem to be a little different, some will take an EZ Clutch , some won't.
    Either way Adjustment is Critical.
    If you don't absolutely need one don't even go down that road.
    I'm still on original clutch at 170,000 kms , and it sees hard riding plus dragstrip action.
    Cleaning and moly lubing the ends as well as adjustment.
    I also run Dri-lube down the inner of the Barnett cable whenever I'm doing the above, which is while the engine oil is draining.

• Like Like x 1
  10. working dog

working dog New Member

Victory Cross Country, BMW1200CL
  11. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Not sure why some have issues and some do not. Regarding the creeping issue I would think keep adjusting ( little at a time ) till it stops creeping ? IDK seems more hassle than it’s worth but in my wife’s case she can’t ride with out one.

12. HDKILLER

HDKILLER New Member

2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Just put one on last week; been trying to adjust the clutch cable since then. I have friends with them on a King Pin 100 and a Cross Roads 106 and they swear by them; but they are not producing near the power my tweeked 106 is producing. The EZ Clutch looks good, feels good, but is not for me. Best adjustment produces clutch slip in 5th and 6th gear when I really twist the throttle hard. Getting ready to take it off before the next ride. Live and Learn (all it takes is money).

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Definitely remove it. On the magnum we were slipping fourth and fifth gear high speed high rpm. After taking a little slack out that went away but now I have a slight bit of creeping clutch pulled in at a stop. Because of my wife this damn thing Hass to stay on but she knows enough to pop it in the neutral while we’re at a light and she doesn’t sit and lollygag got a stop sign too long. I may try to Barnett clutch cable next and see if she can handle that.

14. John G

John G Active Member

Victory Vegas 8 ball
    I agree with bikendad and Motorbikerx. A little slack may not be enough. After I get mine adjusted to the correct clearance to make the clutch operate properly, I take it for a ride and get on it hard, while checking I still have a latitude freeplay at the lever. That’s the most important part.

15. John G

John G Active Member

Victory Vegas 8 ball
    The fundamental problem with the victory clutch design is the amount of clutch lever movement required to engage the clutch. On my Vegas, I pretty much have To pull the clutch lever all the way into the handle bar to shift nicely. I’ve never had a bike that had to do that once you were moving, and I’ve owned 12 bikes I think.

when you install an EZ clutch, you are lengthening the arm down on the gearbox, which lightens the clutch pull, but also decreases the overall clutch movement, hence the dragging or improper engagement issues.

my Vegas is so sensitive that if the cable stretches even a tiny bit, the clutch will drag in shifting and make riding the bike a pain in the ass. I tighten it up just maybe a couple of millimeters and it's a totally different bike.

I think a soft brake lever wouldn’t change much. A longer lever, would lessen the load, but the Vic clutch levers are incredibly long now, and they are profiled to get the maximum amount if travel, due to the angles in the lever.

The First problem is poor engineering from the outset. The second is quality control: it’s pretty clear that some bikes are different to others. As I said previously, if I could change the angle of the arm that comes out of the gearbox, I could squeeze just a tiny bit more movement out of the system, which would solve a couple of issues, the amount of movement, and also it the angular change might reduce the lever pull force.

most manufacturers instal a splined connection between the clutch arm and the actuating rod that goes down into the gearbox. Victory’s is fixed. Why? Because it’s cheaper to manufacture. If I was rich, I’d buy several of these and check the angles, choosing the one that was set the furthest outboard.

however, it could be the internal dimensions of the clutch mechanism and plate stack up that are causing issues for me too. It’s possible with normal wear and tear that mine might improve. Only time will tell.