EZ Clutch setup woes | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

EZ Clutch setup woes

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Diamond Dave, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Jackpot
    Hey folks, setting up an EZ clutch from Victory Only, watched video on install, tips ect..
    Issue: have so it’s just tense at arm, issue is clutch-in bike will creep forward, so tightened a little more, still creep in gear..
    Worried I’m starting to set (clitch disengaged tension too tight (been warned to leave a little play to not wear plates)
    So adjusted to No-play & still creeping forward.
    #suckie-babyhands

2. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Ya, it seems to be hit and miss if you can get those things adjusted to work properly and not smoke the clutch. Is the lever going all the way against the grip as far as possible? No grip puppy foam covers or thicker custom grips?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave New Member

2013 Jackpot
    Yea, hand grip fully depressed against grip (no foam/leather)
    In order to stop the creeping, will have enough tension To start pulling the clutch lever in from off-position, which is worrysome,
    In my city, a 45min ride involves stopping probably 200times, insane over-use of controlled intersections. Gear up & down 1000’s of times more than nessesary!
    Might have to just live with not using

4. recumbentbob

recumbentbob Well-Known Member

2014 Cross Country Tour
    From what I have read about 50% who use them fry their clutch.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. topcat

topcat Active Member

2011 Kingpin
    I have an EZ pull on my KP and put one on my wife's BW. Running them for years and no problem,
    No offense to Bob but that 50% statement may be a bit of an over estimate.
    Now back to you rpost, I don't understand the sentence I quoted. Could you explain better?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Active Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    You can try rotating clutch lever upward. Lets you get a stronger grip on it. I ditched the easy clutch thing never could get it adjusted right.

7. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave New Member

2013 Jackpot
    G
    How did you adjust? In order to stop the bick from creeping when clutch depressed, i need to put more tention on the off-position, which will eventually start theClutchplates slipping when driving

8. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    By far the best 'adjustment' for the EZ Clutch is to first remove it from the bike. Then use a heavy hammer to fold it in half. Then burn it in a raging fire so no one else will ever be tempted to try it.

I understand the desire, but the reality is you'll very likely end up frying your clutch. The 'adjustment window' is ridiculously narrow and would likely need constant attention. In reality, your clutch, like your drive belt, needs to be at the very loosest end of the adjustment spectrum.

Yes, I know, some people can smoke filterless cigarettes from 9 years old to 99 years old and not get cancer. If you feel that lucky, continue to play with the EZ Clutch. Otherwise, find a heavy hammer, an anvil and have at it while you get the fire nice and hot. The clutch horror stories with the EZ Clutch are likely 10 for every 1 who post it works for them.

If you've read this far, you've been warned.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    • Agree x 6
    • Disagree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave New Member

2013 Jackpot
    Think you’re right, witchdoctors has a video, which is good, but doesn’t talk about cluch-in-creep, which i wasn’t expecting, only way to stop the creep is to adjust too far in (no play at all) will toss it.... too bad cause it looks really nice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    I realize Topcat got both his to function, buy I've read to many stories to the contrary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Take it and throw it in the trash. Our clutches need a LOT of slack at the lever to keep from slipping at high rpm's and that's not possible with an easy clutch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    I’ve had my time with it on the Magnum. Wife needs it. Think I got it and the result is almost zero free play. I think the important thing to remember using the EZ clutch is while at a stop you pop it into neutral.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Richie271

Richie271 Active Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    I have been very lucky with my EZ clutch. 75000 miles, original clutch and it still works perfectly. Knock wood.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. PreachSF

PreachSF Well-Known Member

Bullitt (07 Hammer S w/ Jackpot front end)
    ive thrown more of those pieces of crap in the garbage than i can count ....

Rule of thumb is to pull the clutch cable away from the clutch perch and you should have the space of about a dime inbetween. if you are adjusting to where there is "no play" in the lever .. that is far too tight.

A barnett HE clutch cable, that we sell (Conquest Customs) is a smoother and lighter pull than the stock cables, also our LSL levers are adjustable. just food for thought

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Beerski

Beerski Member

'12 Vegas
    Looks like you got one step ahead of what I had considered doing myself...my bike came with a brand new Victory Only EZ Pull clutch arm--really beautiful piece. Fortunately it was still in the box and after reading on here, I never actually installed it. Its a shame because it really would look nice on the bike...

You may consider swapping out your stock clutch cable for a Barnett. If I am correct, they are supposed to reduce the clutch pull by a noticeable amount--plus, it's a mod you may as well do anyways. Quality products.

THEN, if you still desire to cover up the clutch arm cover to dress up your case (like me) grab one of these on Etsy (just search Victory clutch arm cover or something, can't miss it...). 25 bucks, and this guy really makes a nice product at half the cost of most of the other options online. It's some sort of really durable plastic, and it's just a cover, not an EZ pull. I'm really happy with mine, and it looks great on my '12 Vegas. Didn't think I would like the look as much as I do since I preferred chrome, but I think it's great

Good luck to ya!

Attached Files: