VOG Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to remove the reverse components to remove the exhaust system rear header pipe.

I have much of the rear end apart need to get the rear header pipe off to access the primary drive pulley so I can replace the belt. I have the mufflers off and I am trying to move the rear header pipe back enough to remove it. It looks like its running into part of the reverse gear housing. I thought about removing the front header but accessing the nuts to get it free of the head is no simple matter either.

I am removing all the grey part on my black 2009 so that I can have them painted black. I also need to replace the rear tire and I have a new drive belt to that I figured I should install while I have it all apart. There is a ridiculous number of parts and fasteners but everything does come apart. I have never seen a bike build up more dirt behind all the outside panels than this bike. I am wondering how to clean this thing up. I might roll the bike off the stand with it all apart and hitting it with S100 and the pressure washer and then dealing all the parts I have off. It is amazing how nice this bike can look when its all together yet have so much hidden dirt.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not that anyone needs to know now but sometime in the future someone will do a search and maybe this will help. I have now determined that you do need to remove all of the reverse parts to get the primary gear cover off to replace the belt. You might be able to get all the primary cover bolts off with the exhaust system in place but I could not. So the entire exhaust had to come off. Which brings up another issue. You probably will need to pull the front header loose from the head and pull it forward while banging the rear header section backwards. It was a not happening without the front header pulled which required the oil cooler to be moved aside. And on top of that the stud backed out of the head instead of the nut coming off the stud.

I think what I am seeing it the result of a bike running 80k mile over ten years and much of the parts have never had to be removed. For example after I removed the three bolts holding the primary cover on the cover had to be banged on and pried on to get it off. The amount of dirt that built up inside the cover was significant. I think I have taken enough off to see most everywhere you might want to get at. Now its time to roll this naked beast back out in the driveway and hit it with some S100 and high pressure water. Maybe we will even hook up the hot water to the pressure washer. I realize I may not see some of these places for a long time but at least they were cleanup at this age.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.