VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked through the feeds and saw various different discussions concerning exhaust modifications. I didn't see one that would answer my question.

I have a new Victory Vegas and am considering modifying the existing stock exhaust. I don't want to do the 6-8 hole thing and removing the entire baffle and losing almost all back pressure is also something I'm not too interested in. Has anyone done the punch through on the center plug in the baffle? If so, how did that turn out and does it void any warranties that you know of...other than the exhaust? Also, if anyone has done that does it require any modification to the O2 sensors? I want the bike to look stock and sound loud without a bunch of holes in the back of the exhaust. I have a drill bit long enough, just looking for advice before I pull the trigger...drill trigger.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Did it on a gunner, sounded good/not really loud, won't replace a good aftermarket setup for sound/performance though. As for warranty my thoughts on that is you pay to play so if you are worried about warranty don't play.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Warranty will depend solely on the dealer.
Some are "by the book" & others will look past it if the mod does not reasonably affect the warranty issue.

Does it look like your dealer is going to be around for the next two years (more if you have extended warranty)?
If not then screw it & modify.

The only warranty I had done was a fuel pump recall.
My bike is 3 years old & has close to 50,000 miles sooooo....

Do what ever makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
Read through this thread You can drill through the back baffles as far as the O2 goes, you have a 2017 so you'll need some O2 eliminators from someone like dobeck or dynojet

Gunner DYI exhaust mods??

@Trout is absolutely correct regarding warranty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read the Gunner DYI exhaust thread, good deal! I also looked at the O2 sensor thread for '16 and later. Will give both a try. What is the main difference between keeping cats and cutting them out? Does it affect the back pressure that much or is it just a clean air power robbing tool? Will removing them make the pipes even louder?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did it on a gunner, sounded good/not really loud, won't replace a good aftermarket setup for sound/performance though. As for warranty my thoughts on that is you pay to play so if you are worried about warranty don't play.
Some bike manufacturers are completely anal compared to others. I've heard any mod to the intake or exhaust with anything other than Victory approved parts/procedures then the warranty to the bike is void. I could see modifying the exhaust voiding the warranty on the exhaust, but why don't my forks have a warranty anymore? That's my point. What part or ALL of the warranty is voided?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Some bike manufacturers are completely anal compared to others. I've heard any mod to the intake or exhaust with anything other than Victory approved parts/procedures then the warranty to the bike is void. I could see modifying the exhaust voiding the warranty on the exhaust, but why don't my forks have a warranty anymore? That's my point. What part or ALL of the warranty is voided?
Like I posted earlier mostly it is a dealer call, think about it, the manufacturer never sees the bike unless it is a very unusual situation. They don't know unless they are told by the dealer.

The legal aspects of writing a warranty that states "if the exhaust is modified it only voids the exhaust system" is why the whole warranty is voided.
Name every part of the bike & list all the other systems it can affect?
It's less complicated to state that any modification voids the warranty.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes they are and same with car manufactures, it really all comes down to what is important to you. If having an warranty on some or all of your bike is important don't mess with anything.
Dealers can have the warranty voided on bikes for almost nothing. Talk with your dealer like Trout stated its up to them if they want to do that to you or not.
I was just stating a philosophy that rings very true to me(didn't mean to seem harsh) because I tinker with everything I own. If I void a warranty so be it, I knew the risk in tinkering.
Last thing that was brought up is, will the dealer be around if you even need warranty work. My bet is no so take that into consideration if youre on the fence.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I read the Gunner DYI exhaust thread, good deal! I also looked at the O2 sensor thread for '16 and later. Will give both a try. What is the main difference between keeping cats and cutting them out? Does it affect the back pressure that much or is it just a clean air power robbing tool? Will removing them make the pipes even louder?
The 16 O2 bypass mod does not work for a 2017 model without throwing a code. In order to bypass the O2's on a 2017 you must use the eliminators like mentioned in my previous post.

Cats are bad for steel frame Vics. You'll gain power (minimal), it will run much cooler, and it will be a little louder with the stock cans on.

When you read that pulling the cats is bad, they are talking about the aluminum framed bikes like the XC.

Reactions: Scaryloud

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, there are laws concerning modifying cars. As long as the engine is not touched by the modification part (ie cat back exhaust or cold air intake) the warranty on the drive train or the rest of the car other than the modified part cannot be voided by the manufacturer. The travesty that was the American automobile market in the 70's took care of that issue. Cars were woefully unreliable and manufacturers did ANYTHING they could to not honor warranties. The Gov't fixed that problem, but that was with cars. It didn't necessarily include motorcycles.

Now my Kawasaki Vulcan still has it's full warranty and I added the high flow air filter, removed exhaust baffles and added the Auto-tune Cobra fuel management system. I took it in for an issue with the brakes and they warrantied it fine. I asked them about the rest of the warranty and told them what I had done to the bike. They told me as long as I don't modify the internals of the engine or use improper lubricants or fail to change oil at prescribed intervals the warranty is all good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 16 O2 bypass mod does not work for a 2017 model without throwing a code. In order to bypass the O2's on a 2017 you must use the eliminators like mentioned in my previous post.

Cats are bad for steel frame Vics. You'll gain power (minimal), it will run much cooler, and it will be a little louder with the stock cans on.

When you read that pulling the cats is bad, they are talking about the aluminum framed bikes like the XC.
Awesome, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like I posted earlier mostly it is a dealer call, think about it, the manufacturer never sees the bike unless it is a very unusual situation. They don't know unless they are told by the dealer.

The legal aspects of writing a warranty that states "if the exhaust is modified it only voids the exhaust system" is why the whole warranty is voided.
Name every part of the bike & list all the other systems it can affect?
It's less complicated to state that any modification voids the warranty.
The manufacturer doesn't see the bike, but they approve repairs based on what the service center tells them. The service center still has to get paid for the parts and labor so the manufacturer has to approve any work done or its the dealer that eats the cost or the customer that pays.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The manufacturer doesn't see the bike, but they approve repairs based on what the service center tells them. The service center still has to get paid for the parts and labor so the manufacturer has to approve any work done or its the dealer that eats the cost or the customer that pays.
Exactly my point.
If the dealer does not inform them they don't know.
So the manufacturer okays the work, dealer gets paid, bike gets fixed, customer is happy.

Good dealer that wants repeat business will work with a customer.
Bad dealer who does not care will not.
It's at the dealer level 99.99% of the time.

Worked as parts manager for GM dealers in the mid 70's & have friends who are wrenches at both car dealers & bike dealers, from what they tell me it hasn't changed much, still the dealers call.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.