VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2014 XC with 2000 miles on it. I have since put about 800 miles on it. When I am riding I get a pop / backfire when I shift 1-2 ,2-3 and 3-4 with me shifting between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I pulled the plugs and found that the front cylinder looks a likes it's running lean. It has some white/ gray Ash on it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
The Vic Stage 1 addition causes the popping. Mine does as well. You’re not alone. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If your bike is tuned/running fine.
Simple fix;
Shift a bit higher in the rpms.
Equals = no pop.

WW

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
If the popping bothers you like it does me than you can always stick a set of stock mufflers back on it. If the original owner didn't have them you can usually find a nice used set pretty cheap. It will still pop like they all do but you won't be able to hear it. I would disconnect the O2 sensors also.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Victory has a ****y ECM for one and a poor IAV.
All Vic's with stock exhaust pop you just can't hear it.
When you shift do a mild speed shift and you should get very little popping.
If you want to really stop it buy a Maximum and pay for a tune and that should only coast a few hundred dollars

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
If you want to really stop it buy a Maximum and pay for a tune and that should only coast a few hundred dollars

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had similar issues when i drilled out baffles,,I just installed lloydz fuel controller and air filter,,,took it out today for first time runs totally different no issues with popping or farting and way more power through the whole power band.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the popping bothers you like it does me than you can always stick a set of stock mufflers back on it. If the original owner didn't have them you can usually find a nice used set pretty cheap. It will still pop like they all do but you won't be able to hear it. I would disconnect the O2 sensors also.
I'm assuming unplugging the O2 sensor will force the ECM to run a richer map? Will it set a check engine light?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yea, disconnecting a component of the Air Fuel mixing system...that sounds like the proper fix.

Yes, it will run rich at that point, but how rich and in what areas of the map? Hhhmmmmmm.....interesting though....

Do it right the first time and don't look back. Peace of mind on a bike with a limited amount of parts support isn't something I want to mess with.

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Most of what people will tell you about disconnecting the O2 sensors is bullsh!t. Even though they don't really understand what that will do, they will still tell you all about it...

When you are accelerating/shifting through the gears, the ECU is in open loop mode and the O2 sensors are not being used at all.

When you disconnect the O2 sensors it does not cause the bike to run richer. All it does is keep the bike out of closed loop mode so it doesn't lean out at steady-state cruising. Other than that, it runs off the same fuel map as before. Part time closed loop fuel injection is a development to appease the EPA and not to enhance performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you know of a place in western PA area that would be a good place to have a tune done?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Look at the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page. Popping is common. Make sure the throttle closes completely when shifting and popping is lessened.

Reactions: Riverrat302

·
Registered
23,463 Posts
Pick one. You can't have both.
Yes, you can. Fixed fuel map full time... no way to achieve "richer" than stock. Just no means to lean it to 14.7:1 during closed loop operation.

On a basically stock bike it's not a bad idea to not allow it to "lean out at steady-state cruising".
It is never a bad idea to keep the a/f closer to 13.8 and there can be no detrimental outcome from eliminating closed loop operation. No tuner will tune to 14.7... no one would see that as desirable from a performance standpoint.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.