VOG Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike has a more than occasional popping habit. I've always heard that an exhaust leak could cause this. Found the clamp to the right side muffler less than finger tight. Could this contribute to the problem or does such a leak need to be closer to the head port?
Tks, RR

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
exhaust leaks cause excessive pops (as all newer vics will pop)....lotsa clamps on vic exhausts...may just be a cover clamp. Take a picture and show and tell.

·
Registered
255 Posts

Clean thoroughly around all the exhaust joints, from the heads to the mufflers. Ride the bike for a while. Rub around the joints with a clean white rag. If you get black soot on the rag, there is probably a leak. As far as I know, a leak at any one of the joints, from the jugs to the muffler, can cause popping. The loose clamp you found may be a joint clamp or one that holds the heat shield on the pipe. If it is an actual exhaust clamp and was that loose, it would be the prime suspect.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
I know this is an old thread. Rather than start a new I figure this one here is fine.
I have been experiencing decel popping lately.
I discovered 2 leaks at each muffler where it goes into the exhaust pipe.
Both clamps were tight still wheni light a match it just sucks the flame out.

Considering permatex exhaust putty to smear around the area. Any thoughts on a fix for this ?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Was just thinking about re-torquing the header pipe bolts today.
I use to do it every so often on some Inline-4 bikes I use to own. Heck, one bike I thought had a valve tap and it ended up just needing to be torqued.

Anyone here occasionally torque their pipe head bolts and if so at what mileage?

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
I know this is an old thread. Rather than start a new I figure this one here is fine.
I have been experiencing decel popping lately.
I discovered 2 leaks at each muffler where it goes into the exhaust pipe.
Both clamps were tight still wheni light a match it just sucks the flame out.

Considering permatex exhaust putty to smear around the area. Any thoughts on a fix for this ?
41 lbs torque? Thats the spec. Also if they have been on and a few times, the clamps need replacing sometimes. Check for cracks too. My front header split in two right at that junction.

Reactions: Scuba77

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
I wrapped the muffler connection with tiger tape and installed new clamps.
Did the trick. I will check the header bolts too. Should I re torque when the motors hot or cold ?

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Thanks J. Agree. I'll check the bolts. I might leave it alone and wait till I change my pulley. Then the header will need removed and new exhaust gaskets to be installed. Any idea what the bolts should be torqued to ?

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
bolts on the muffler clamps are the 41lbs. The heads cant remember. On the heads....Tighten cold, get a nice hot run, let it cool and retighten. Do this a couple times.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
Thanks Kurbs. Will do.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I started checking all exhaust bolts with schedualed maintance. I think pipes and clamps expand at different rates and they loosen. Torque with bike cold.
RideSafe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.