VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got about a case of Wix filters. Not counting pennies so was wondering about changing the filters every thousand or whenever I feel like it. Is anybody else doing this? I figure its not a bad idea to keep crap out of those " lifters" on the valves.

·
Super Moderator
26,158 Posts
2500? Maybe. 1000 just seems like a waste. I'm sticking to what I've been doing.

Reactions: Rollinwind

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Also it would be hard to change the filter without changing the oil. So, you'll need to add or change oil with each filter change. I think it's a waste of time and money if you have quality oil. If I did this, I'd be changing my oil every 7-10 days come spring.

·
Registered
610 Posts
It seems like a waste to me, why would your oil be getting dirty enough to warrant a filter change every 1000 miles?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yes the pan will begin to drain when you remove the filter. If you remove the dipstick it might flow a little faster. It'll be messy as well but to each his own. If it was a HD with the filter up high over the oil cooler, it wouldn't be an issue at all.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The big fear is getting some **** stuck in a lifter. Its rare but I have seen three bikes do it. Maybe more and just dont know it. For all a filter costs i can afford to change them more often. IDK. Ill be sending in my second oil sample to Black Stone labs soon this summer. That will give me a good idea how the motor is settling in under 20 k.

·
Registered
474 Posts
You will do more harm than good. No matter how hard I try, I can never quite fill an oil filter 100% full...and I never install a filter dry. Thus every time a filter is installed and the motor started, (pre-filled or not) it will require a bit of time for that filter to become completely full prior to engine oil flow and pressurization. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
2k miles would be early enough.
If you want the best change filters to a cleanable billet filter. Ultra fine stainless mess, and super high flow...pricy though.
On road trips I can go over 6K miles on full syth oil with no worries.
Regularly change it every 4-5k though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those are what made me ask this question. That filter is about 122. and does act as a oil cooler. I dont like that part so considering a ness one for around $145-165. Then I thought why not just change the wix more?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
As oil filters pick up particles and plug holes in the fibre they actually filter better than new. The trick is not letting the filter pick up so much that flow is restricted. Just an opinion but unless you've got engine or transmission problems the top of the line filters will keep you protected for much longer than the oil does.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
You’d only lose about a 1/4 quart of you spun the filter off, unless of course you did it while the engine is running. Don’t do that. ;)

as others have stated, there’s probably not much benefit from replacing early, and if you are worried about gumming up lifters, switch to an oil that you have more confidence in. I personally don’t think you’re running much risk by swapping an oil filter early. Oil is pumped so fast and with so much pressure that running an unprimed filter of that size would probably be negligible.

a lot of vehicles (not so much anymore) come with cartridge style filters where it is physically impossible to prime it and it goes on dry. These vehicles still last for hundreds of thousands of miles.

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
You will do more harm than good. No matter how hard I try, I can never quite fill an oil filter 100% full...and I never install a filter dry. Thus every time a filter is installed and the motor started, (pre-filled or not) it will require a bit of time for that filter to become completely full prior to engine oil flow and pressurization. Not a good idea.
If the logic stated above in other posts is true by just removing the oil filter the oil will drain out of the bike. Using this logic when you put on
a new filter then fill the bike with oil doesn't it then fill the filter? It must if it drains when removing the filter.

• Haha
Reactions: Rollinwind

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Is the oil pathway (circuit) from the sump to the engine to the filter to the sump again? Or does it flow some other direction like through the filter first before going to the engine?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The last time I changed my oil on my 2014 XCT I wanted to see how much oil I would lose by just removing the filter first.
The dip stick was still in and screwed down and I removed the filter and only lost about 1/2 cup of oil, a lot less than what I was expecting.
I could easily preload another filter with oil and put it back on, start the bike for a minute, shut it off and after 2 minutes check the level while the bike is standing straight up..
You will probably have to add a cup of oil to replace the 1/2 cup lost plus whatever was missing inside the new filter.
I don't think you need to do it every thousand like you are saying, but if you really want to maybe half the mileage of what the manual calls for.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If you want to keep those lifters cleared out, wind the engine out to over 4000 rpm in 4th gear and keep it there for a 1/4 mile at least once in a while, keeps the lifters happy.......oh and running Spectro 20/40.....right Slick!....;)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
@Rollinwind Wix filters are great filters and what I use also on all my gas burners, I think changing them at 1000 miles is overkill.....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hey Rollinwind, if your concerned about sticky/gummy/or stuck lifter, you might wanna try puttin in a cup or two of sea foam in your oil and then change it at 500 miles , do this a couple times and it will clean out your engine crankcase pretty good, I do this from time to time on my XC, I also throw in a half a can of sea foam in the gas tank a couple times a year just before I go on a long ride,.....so far so good

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
As has been stated, if there’s enough debris running through your engine that clogging the filter in 1000 miles is a concern, your engine has very serious issues. Many cars use a similar size and type of filter and run them 5000 to 7500 miles without incident.

I’ve heard of people changing the filter every second oil change but certainly not every 1000 miles on a road bike.

I had one of the stainless steel filter media oil filters and stopped using it after 2 or 3 oil changes. I found it to be a total waste of effort and a hassle on a road bike.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.