VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my 2009 Vision for 10 months now. I have had it into the dealer several times for the excessive belt noise. I call it a squeek, my wife calls it a chirp, either way it is a very annoying noise.
The dealer keeps attempting to adjust the belt, but within a few weeks, the noise is back. For some silly reason, I wait a couple of weeks, seeing if the noise will go away, it doesnt, and back to the dealer.
The dealer tells me:
Belt drives do make noise, they know I am used to a shaft drive.. But I dont buy it. When it is spot on, it is quiet, and the ride is just great, but all too often, that damn belt makes noise when I start up, and any time I am under load.
Also, the dealer tells me that there are numerous complaints about this noise, and that they are waiting for a factory notice to fix the problem. So far, nothing.

So my question is, do other Vision owners have the same problem, and are just living with it? Am I really too picky that when paying for a > $22K bike, I expect quality?

Before I head back to the dealer, I would like to know what other experiences are.
Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
425 Posts

No, the belt noise isn't "normal." My dealer attempted, on at least 3-4different occassions, to fix the chirping/noise problem in the same manner as your dealer. However, a belt adjustment is NOT the cure...Victory repaired my bike under warranty by authorizing the installation of a newly designedrear pulley. Per my servicetech, who comparedthe new pulley with theoriginal, the newly designed replacement rear pulley has deeper belt groves and higher side belt guide railsthan myoriginalone.Sincethenew pulleyhas been installed, all beltnoiseis gone!
I recommend that you considercontacing yourdealer torequest thatyour orginal pulley be replaced with the redesigned one...

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I have exactly what you are describing however mine does it when the bikes been sitting for a few days. It chirps for about the first 1/2 mile or so then it doesnt do it anymore. If i ride every day it doesnt do it. Only if its been sitting.
I dont think its a real concern unless it never stops.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Idare, another note: As I've found out in the past, some dealers are moreintune with what's going on with Victory than others. Your dealer was wrong when he advised that Victory had not come up fix for the belts chirpingnoise. They have, in fact, developed a"fix"byredesigning the rear belt pulley. I suggest that you have your dealer contactVictory HQ to request a new pulley for your bike and the authorization to install it. My dealer did(Hinshaws in Auburn, WA) and they received clearance and a new rear pulley for my bikein less than a week.Per my service manager, all the factory neededwas minor documentation that thechirping problemwas ongoing and had not beenpreviously cured with a belt adjustment....

·
Registered
425 Posts
My beltdoes NOT chirp at all now (eitherwarm or cold) and I congratulate Victory for developing a cure for this problem. The bottom line for me? Victory has "stepped up" on this issue and have won backsome of my continuing support. Not a day goes by that someone, generally another bike driver, doesnt' ask me a question about my bike and it's niceto reporta good thing about the company...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yup.... I had the same problem.... AJ at Thunder Ally in Kennewick WA. had said there were some pulley issues and Victory was aware ... he ordered the new pulley and sweet silence since.
All under warranty.

·
Registered
290 Posts

I had a problem with what sounded like a bad bearing, or something coming from the pipes. It only happened while on the throttle, not cruising or just reving the motor. It use to only do it for a short bit when cold , and then it just got worse. Rode down to the Oyster run in WA last Sunday, and it did pretty much the whole way down, and back. Louder when cold, but still there a little even when all warmed up.
I searched the word chirping on the vmc, and it seems that it's a common problem with some owners. Thier cure was to rub some ivory soap on the belt. So today when I got home from work, I jumped on the bike rode down the street listening to the chirping sound. I pulled over rubbed some ivory soap on both sides of the belt, and a little on the teeth of the belt. Just the exposed section by the pipes. Jumped on the bike, and the chirping was gone instantly. Seriously it worked just like that.
Try it !

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After the first posting, I was down at the dealer and got concurrence for the new redesigned pulley. ( Within an hour).
The sad part is that driving down to the dealer, my wife following in car, with the windows up, could hear it clearly.
And when my daugthers boyfriend showed up, looked in the garage, said, "Did you take your motorcycle in for that noise?", So while I was putting up with it, everyone else noticed it.
Thanks everyone really helpful

Larry

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Highway_Star said:
Thier cure was to rub some ivory soap on the belt. So today when I got home from work, I jumped on the bike rode down the street listening to the chirping sound. I pulled over rubbed some ivory soap on both sides of the belt, and a little on the teeth of the belt. Just the exposed section by the pipes. Jumped on the bike, and the chirping was gone instantly. Seriously it worked just like that.
Try it !
I've heard of that fix as well, but from the reports of others, "the soap fix" appears to be a Band-Aid and not a long term remedy.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

I always noticed the chirp when the bike was cold but did not notice much after warm up and radio on.
While riding with the Canadian Victory group I was told your bike chirps all of the time. I then could not help but notice it.
I just had my bike in for the 10000 mile service and asked them to check my belt. I was told it is not showing wear.
I thought I would have to live with the chirp until I saw this thread.
I just sent my dealer an E-Mail I will report what I hear back.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

My dealer responded
Chris,

Thanks for the info. We have not had any communication from Victory regarding this issue, but we will pose the question through their internal system and get back to you asap.

Best Regards,Locomotion Power Sports

·
Registered
290 Posts

I'm not sure how long the soap fix lasts. I'll find out over the next couple of weeks, and repost back to this thread. I know it's a band aid solution, but from what I've read it works for some time, and if I had to do it every couple of weeks I'm OK with that for now. I plan to buy a matching billet pulley for by bike this winter anyway. Others report that the fix lasts until you wash your bike or ride through the rain.
We'll see, and I'll report back in a bit. It could be from dry weather, and heat that glazes the belt a bit causing the chirping sound.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have to add that my chirping sound was loud, and heard by others in my riding group. I rode a friends bike, while listening to by bike make this loud sound. The little bit of soap I used, instantly solved the problem. So it's worth a try instead of riding a 100 miles to you nearest dealer.

·
Registered
814 Posts

So you know now thatyour bike is acting like most of the rest of the Vision models out there. I had it on mine as well and I too had my dealer adjustmy beltbutthe chirpcame back again. I live 5 hours from my dealer so going back and forth isn't a practicle option for me. Soap, like Andy says is only a bandaid so I needed to correct it myself. So, up on the jack she went (several times).
I finally elliminated the chirp with proper tension and alignment and have lived chirp free for the summer. I know it will probably come back because it is an adjustment issue but I also know now that I don't have to put up with it and I know I can fix it. The news ofthe issue with the pulley is interesting and makes sence because I've never heard of any other belt drive bike chirping so, good on Victory if they've identified and corrected the problem.
How I fixed the problem:
I should add that I needed to solve this because I was getting razzed by my HD riding brothers and my wife kept reporting the problem to me as well. Besides when you are constantly listening for the chirp it spoils the ride.
After I would adjust the tension I would test ride. I noticed the left (driver side) adjuster felt like it had just a small amount of wiggle when I would return. It didn't feel like itwas under solid tension against the swing arm so maybe under torque the alignment may have changed while test riding. Resolution - When I was adjustingfor alignment I made certainthe adjuster was tight (no play) before I fully tightened the axle nut. Once the axle nut was tight I would start the bike and putthe bikeinto gear (make sure the bike and jack are anchored well) and I would check that the beltstayed perfectly aligned inside the pulley as it rolled. I found that I need to see that the belt isn't tight against one side as it is rotating under power. I like to see just a glint of the pulley teeth on the tightest side as it rotates. (it doesn't seem to matter which side it rides closer to just as long as it's not tight against the pulley wall) I should add that the tension I put on the belt was greater thanit was when the dealership used the proper tension checking tool. This made me a little nervous at first but I compared my belt tensionto other bikes and Visions that I've met (that don't chirp) and I think I got the tension pretty good.Results speak louder than wordsand as I said, nomore chirps for the rest of the summer and we've put on a lot of miles including pulling a fully loaded trailer so it's been under some considerable strain.
Good luckwith resolving your problem and rest assured it is a problem you can resolve so don't ignore it or it will drive you nuts listening for it all the time and you won't enjoy your bike.
Remember - Every ride is a good ride, a dry ride is a bonus. Nepper

·
Registered
290 Posts

I agree with your reasoning Nepper.
For me I wasn't sure it was a belt problem, as I couldn't pin down were the sound was really coming from. When I searched on the vmc site, and the sound others described seemed simialr to mine. I wanted to see if the soap trick worked, then I would know that that particular sound was from the belt, and pulley, and not something more serious. So for me it is a band aid solution until I get my new billet pulley.
Hey atleast it's not a bearing from the output shaft or something. So it's a good diagnostic trick to make sure its a belt problem.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I just got off the phone with Randy's Cycle and Scott ( tech) said that he has not heard of a newly designed pulley for the belt. So he looked it up and the old pulley and the latest books that they have with part #s have the same exact #. This isnt saying that they didnt just re assign the new pulley the old # but according to Scott they havent changed any designs. Just quoting what I was told.

he did say that they have had some bikes come in for this "chirping" and with proper alignment and tension they have been able to get it to stop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had The Same Problem On Mine,20,000Km,Complained To The Dealer They Contact Victiory,Who Had Them Do Some Testing & Measuring.Then The Replaced Both Pulleys & The Belt Under Warranty.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.