VOG Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
View attachment 496419 View attachment 496417 View attachment 496413 View attachment 496415 After a very brief experiment with radials on my 07 Kingpin tour with windshield, bags and trunk I decided to remove the rear radial after 2 tanks of gas. The bike danced around at highway speeds...not fun. Put Shinko bias plies on and they work well. Anyway, if anyone in the St. Louis area would like to take it off my hands it's yours for the low low price of "free". If no one near me wants it I'll check into shipping it to someone in the lower 48. It will still be free, just cover the shipping. Hopefully it will be reasonable to ship. The tire was around $130 from AmericanMotoTire.com and the date code says it was made in 2017. I just hate to see it go to waste when I know some guys have good luck running these without the bags and/or windshield.
John

·
Registered
102 Posts
My experience with the Bridgestone radials has been positive and I'm running the same setup on my '09 as you. My Pin is very stable with them on and here in NM the winds can be a bugger! But conditions and machines are all different and what works well for one doesn't work well for another.

If nobody takes you up on your offer, PM me.

Darrin

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Yeah if you want to check what shipping is to Des Moines, 50317, I’m interested as well.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've been a proponent for Shinko for several years now. Unfortunately they don't work well on the front of the Vegas. Once I hit 85'ish they start to rub. Disappointing for sure. I'll finish out this season with them but chances are will ditch them in 2019.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My experience with the Bridgestone radials has been positive and I'm running the same setup on my '09 as you. My Pin is very stable with them on and here in NM the winds can be a bugger! But conditions and machines are all different and what works well for one doesn't work well for another.

If nobody takes you up on your offer, PM me.

Darrin
I actually had a stock Dunlop bias ply on the front and rear and I asked a dealer to install whatever the stock replacement should be on the front. He said Dunlop E3 was the latest version so that's what they put on. Only it was a radial. I didn't know enough about tires at the time so I didn't pay any attention to the R designation in the tire size until the tire was mostly used up. It worked fine with the radial on front and bias on the rear (both Dunlop's). The bike was rock solid at any speed. Well, 90 mph is fast enough for me with a barn door for a windshield. Totally opposite of what I've heard others say about mixing bias and radials. (Supposedly a radial rear and bias front is ok) So I put the Bridgestone radial on the rear thinking two radials would be fine but it was terrible (mixed brands). Then put Shinko 777 bias on front with no improvement. Then put Shinko 777 bias on rear too and my problems went away! I read that mixing brands can be a crapshoot on a motorcycle so that may be why you've had good luck with a matched set. I'm going to stick with bias ply tires for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting that mixing brands would cause problems. There are a few threads here that address mixing radial/bias ply, although I don't remember what the order is. While the thread should be an easy find, if what you're doing works then I'd say stick with it.

Darrin

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I'm intrested. Pm me. Maybe I have something to trade. Free for free.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bassaholic was first to respond so I’m going to check on shipping costs to him. If he decides to pass I’ll move on to the next responder. Seems like the only fair way to choose. I wish I could do something to help everyone out on this forum. I’ve saved a lot of money just by reading other people’s posts on the VOG. I just should have dug a little deeper before I started messing around with tires. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.