VOG Forum banner

Engine will only Idle will not throtle up

5479 33
Hello I was riding my hammer yesterday and it started missing and when I came to a stop sign it would only idle any one else had this problem?
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have changed out the plugs and I do have good fire. I drained the gas tank by removing the gas line right before the injectors(?) and when I turned on the ignition switch the fuel would have a heavy flow and when I heard the pump shut off it would flow as it was draining. I have checked all the relays and fuses the relays ohm good fuses were all good

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Your going to need someone more tech savy then me. I just looked in my shop manual and it is giving about 30 things that could cause the issue. Although I like to start with the simplest and in all three sections it talks about a dirty air filter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have also removed the air filter and it looks new very clean in my point of view . I have also check the battery and it cranks the engine very good. Can the engine jump timing? Does it have timing gears or does it have a chain? The injectors is there an easy way to check them?

·
Registered
23,468 Posts

Your engine didn't 'jump timing'... These things are TOUGH. I take mine to the drag strip and run it TWENTY EIGHT passes, sometimes 6 or 7 back-to-back at a time. You can't hurt that motor...
What do you mean "when I came to a stop sign it would only idle"? Can you be more descriptive?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

DaGrey1 said:
OneThumb said:
Throttle linkage cable?
My first guess.

If it is popping coughing & sputering when you give throttle than I would check fuel pump for proper pressure, the fitting is under the cheese wedge & I hear most shops have the tools to check it.
Yup. 27psi LOOKS exactly like 49psi. You need to put a gauge on it. There is no short cuts to proper diagnostics

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Sep 15 2010, 2:37am - Reply for Half_Crazy
A little more detail I had be riding all day with out any problems and then
Yes I was coming on to interstate 35 by the use ofon ramp and was coming out of second gear when I noticed that the engine started popping coughing & sputtering and then it would go away when throttling up but at the point that the throttle reached the RPM it would start popping coughing & sputtering I was doing 80 mph at this point. I then exited off of I 35 onto I 80 with worsting conditions I then exited off of I 80 almost home had to Stop at a red light and that is where it died and would only idle. 1 1/2 mile from the house damm gremlins. I do have fire at the new plugsbut do you think a bad coil just not enough fire? The reason I think thismaybe, I had an old shovelhead in the 70's and a plug wire had burnt into on the inside of the rubber spark plug cap and this acted the same way after replacing the coil I found that problem so the plug wire was the first thing I checked and they are good. I do realize that I'm comparing two different systems but acting the same.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

Your Shovel had a carb
Check the fuel pressure Check the fuel pressure Check the fuel pressure

·
Registered
115 Posts
vinnieb57 said:
Sep 15 2010, 2:37am - Reply for Half_Crazy
A little more detail I had be riding all day with out any problems and then
Yes I was coming on to interstate 35 by the use ofon ramp and was coming out of second gear when I noticed that the engine started popping coughing & sputtering and then it would go away when throttling up but at the point that the throttle reached the RPM it would start popping coughing & sputtering I was doing 80 mph at this point. I then exited off of I 35 onto I 80 with worsting conditions I then exited off of I 80 almost home had to Stop at a red light and that is where it died and would only idle. 1 1/2 mile from the house damm gremlins. I do have fire at the new plugsbut do you think a bad coil just not enough fire? The reason I think thismaybe, I had an old shovelhead in the 70's and a plug wire had burnt into on the inside of the rubber spark plug cap and this acted the same way after replacing the coil I found that problem so the plug wire was the first thing I checked and they are good. I do realize that I'm comparing two different systems but acting the same.
You gota check the fuel pump pressure.

·
Registered
455 Posts
sounds like the ECM is acting up. Check and see there is no moisture.
When you twist the throttle I take it the butter fly opens all the way.
If the coil was bad it would still come off idle but it would back fire.
Say have you worked on the bike as of late????
If so go back over what you did.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
kevinx01 said:
Your Shovel had a carb

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
kevinx01 said:
kevinx01 said:
Your Shovel had a carb
So Kevin, what are you trying to get at? Should he check his air pressure?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll be honest that I don't much about Victory but I do know a little about engines. All engines need, Air, Fire, and Fuel. You know your getting spark. You're probably getting air if your filter is clean. So the problem has to be with your fuel. I would have to agree with KevinX01. If you have the ability to check the fuel pressure I would start there. After that I would check my fuel filter (I assume it has one). If both of those things check out I would trailer it up to a dealer and have my ECU flashed to make sure something really screwy didn't happen (least likely thing to have happened).

Just my $.02

·
Registered
397 Posts
Kevin, that guy has mastered the art of subtlety. Subtle like a hammer to the head! (Check the fuel pressure!) But, listen to him, he do know what he doin.......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.