VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'08 Tour Premium w/S1L1, tailgunner tips. Was burping and popping, even went dead once. Got remapped after the recall came out. Did fine for about 2K, now burping and popping again, mainly on throttle release at moderate speeds. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Yep, Does it on upshifts when i roll out of the throttle. Nothing bad though, just a little pop. It never died though.
Same S1L1 as you. All maps done.

·
Registered
279 Posts

I have S1/L2..
My pops during these scenarios:
I'm rolling around slowly with the clutch engage bumping the throttle...
I'm shifting less than 3k Rpms...
On decel, I'm in to high of a gear...
By shifting at 3k and over I very rarely hear a pop....
I talked to my localVic Tech and was telling me that Victory has the mapping mapped lean due to keeping all state emmisions legal..
He recommended that I get an intake plate and fuel controller that way I can dial in my exact riding style and that should just about remedy the issues..
That's the information that I have and what I have been given...
Happy Burping...

·
Registered
126 Posts

Definitely --- the same here. I've got the VFC-III, intake plate and L1S2 pipes. I've gotten used to it and when she's first started, if I take off and then decel in 2ndto the stop sign, she's really "noisy". However, once warm, it only happens at lower rpm. I've noticed that when throttle tip-in occurs she may (or may not) pop but not often. I have noticed that when decel, if I let her get below 1500 rpm without "blipping" she get's a bit starved for fuel. She's actually died once, and that was a quick learn for me. The VFC-III has definitely helped and would highly recommend it. Of course, a lot depends on your particular riding style for sure! Ride safe and enjoy the ride.
Cheers,
VVVet

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for comiserating. I've been told that that's just the nature of the beast which is tech talk for "I don't know". I can live with it but prefer not.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

bernomad said:
Victory should be ashamed for turning out bikes that run like this.
I agree, paying over 20K for a bike and have to deal with popping??? I will get Lloyd to put his magicbox with the filter plate and tune the beast while I at the AVR. Should not have to do this!!!
It's been around 68-70 at night here the last few nights I rode, and will say that it does not pop when cooler with the S1L2 set up I have.

·
Registered
807 Posts
bubba said:
bernomad said:
I agree, paying over 20K for a bike and have to deal with popping???
Pardon me for pointing out the obvious, but since when is a manufacturer at fault when a bike is modified after the fact??
Seems to me that adding any modification to the intake/exhaust is always at user's risk, and some installers are better than others. Otherwise we'd all be putting out 150+ hp and there certainly wouldn't be any real need for forums like this one!

·
Registered
834 Posts

visioneer said:
Has anyone without the S1L2 or L2 have this issue?
I have stock exhaust and have none of these issues. Never a backfire or stall of any kind.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Dimonback said:
bubba said:
bernomad said:
Pardon me for pointing out the obvious, but since when is a manufacturer at fault when a bike is modified after the fact??
Seems to me that adding any modification to the intake/exhaust is always at user's risk, and some installers are better than others. Otherwise we'd all be putting out 150+ hp and there certainly wouldn't be any real need for forums like this one!
I have problems with Victory exhaust, Victory intake and Victory download set up with their exclusive software.

·
Registered
279 Posts
bernomad said:
Dimonback said:
bubba said:
bernomad said:
I have problems with Victory exhaust, Victory intake and Victory download set up with their exclusive software.
Not to mention that I have the Factory upgraded exhaust, done by a Victory dealer, by a Victory tech... It isn't like I'm drilling out the exhaust and hacking on something to get it do something that it wasn't intended for.. For me, the bike from the factory was WAY to quiet. So, I wanted to get more and as far as I was concerned, I went about the right way. Their response of "Oh well, that's gonna happen because we have to run them to lean..." is sad..

·
Registered
807 Posts
Okay, okay, I guess I spoke a bit hastily. One WOULD think that modifications fully authorized by the factory would work better than pure aftermarket. But again- some installers are better than others, and there are reasons that race teams pay big bucks for the best wrenches.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm becoming less forgiving about owning and riding a bike that basically runs like crap in town at low speeds. I try not to worry about it, but it honestly is not what I had in mind when I signed the dotted line for what I thought was a high quality big inch American cruiser. It's kind of inconsistent though. I have a friend who bought his bike the same day. We rode them home together. He has the same stage 1 exhaust. His bike runs way better than mine for some reason. Always has been quieter (engine noise) and smoother running.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I still love the bike. But buying a bike for over 20 Large. Puting VICTORY Pipes, Filter and download and havepopping is not acceptable. It's not the tech, it's the download that can't be changed because of the EPA. I don't really care that you don't have popping in the stock condition. I did not buy the bike to be stock. If there was a sign that said BEWARE OF POPPING WHEN USING STAGE ! PIPES AND DOWNLOADS,I would have had to make a choice. I was not given that option.
I would not have wasted $$ buying their stuff. I would have purchased Lloyds stuff and after market pipes.
This is my 4th Vic. I have never had an issue on any bikes that they did not fix. Fix this, and 08, 09 buyers will be :)!

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is my understanding that much of the poor engine function is do to the myriad pollution control measures and devices on the bikes, which cause the engine to run lean and to produce less power much of the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts

There now appears to be a proven relationship between exhaust leaks and the popping you are complaining about.

Check out this thread ( and others ) on Vision-riders.com. Varyder has had the popping stalling issue with his bike since the beginning. Recently he removed the exhaust system and replaced the washers, clamps and cleaned all the mating surfaces. Problem Solved.

http://www.Vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=3700&posts=14&mid=37520&highlight=popping&highlightmode=1&action=search#M37520

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Exhaust leak(s) was the 1st thing my guys checked when the problem originated and found none hence the response '...nature of the beast'. Then the notice came out about the S1L1 map update that indicated this had been the problem. Got the update, problem went away, came back. Perhaps now I've developed an exhaust leak. Will have it checked. Either way, not good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I really just wish I had a bike to complain about.

Although I will say that the new 08 Hammer with S1 and Vic Swept pipes did have all the classic traits that seem to run rampant with the new Vic's.

It popped when shifting at low RPM and as I pulled back into the parking lot at the dealer I pulled in the clutch and she died. I'd still give anything to have the bike, but I'm also sure that I'd be investigating the problem to try and find a good fix.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.