ELECTRIC TRANSPORTATION... | Page 4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

ELECTRIC TRANSPORTATION...

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by IM12STPN, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Alonso_Ape

Alonso_Ape Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    '13 Highball. '71 Type 3. CT110! Bicycle, IS-28 glider
    Already rolling out in China is Ultra high DC lines. These seem to have been developed in China AND the US, probably independently. Once that's up, you can pretty much connect anything to anywhere. LA to NY, Perth to Sydney. You can have solar power in Sydney several hours after the sun goes down. Although obviously it ducks to be Perth

• Like Like x 1
  2. Obi Steve

Obi Steve Active Member

2013 HardBall. 2014 Flames High Ball
    Breaking news this week Fortescue Minerals, the 2nd largest iron ore miners in Oz, people seriously in the business of making money have bought two battery electric heavy haulage locomotives for their own 280 km ore railway, heaviest haul railway in the world, running 42 tonnes axle loads. It goes from their inland mine down to the port, so regenerative braking will help the 14.5 MWhr batteries, while the return run uphill will be running empty.
    Fortescue say that they expect the locos to reduce operating costs, in fuel and maintenance.
    They already have massive PV power supply at their isolated mine sites.
    I was surprised to see that while the locos are not off the shelf items, plant this size never is, they are current production build to order, BB14.5BE units from Progress Rail, being built in South America for delivery in 2023.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  3. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Truth is they don’t care, they know it, we know it, they’re just dumb enough to think their phony objections will negatively impact the free market. On the EV forums they’re called FUDders. People who pretend to have objections and questions just as a pretense to spread Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. If they were honest men they would already know that these objections and questions have already been answered. But for all their blather and drivel, they can’t handle living in a free society where people ar free to make different decisions than them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    Cost and efficiency. A car may be out in the sun all day, but very little of its curved - near horizontal surface will be directly facing the Sun light. Put the panels on a rooftop and they can be mounted towards the southern horizon and optimize the amount of sunlight. So you go to work and plug into solar powered chargers, or put a couple panels on your roof that charge a home based battery. Get home from work and transfer the electricity to the car, or use it as backup when the grid goes down, or take it with you for camping or mobile back up.

It’s a cool concept to have the car recharge itself in the sun, but the economics justify other options for solar.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour
  6. Alonso_Ape

Alonso_Ape Active Member

'13 Highball. '71 Type 3. CT110! Bicycle, IS-28 glider
    I was lucky enough to watch the start of the inaugural World Solar Car Challenge in 1988. General Motors won that year at an average speed of 66km/m. It was fascinating to see how different teams dealt with the problem of mounting solar to a car. Here's some pics

world solar car challenge 1988 - Google Search

• Like Like x 1
  7. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    I remember seeing a couple of entrants from a team at ISU, definitely cool stuff.

But a big difference between them and 5000 lb SUV’s. A couple years ago we had a freaking hurricane sweep across Iowa. I had no idea such a thing was possible, but it was 3-1/2 days before my power was back on. At the time I regretted not having one of those quiet Honda generators, but a friend that had one couldn’t get his started. Like me if I had one, his had been sitting in a box in his garage for years unused. I always wanted one, but just couldn’t spend a couple grand for something that would sit for so long. I also recently replaced my roof. So I looked into solar power and a whole house battery. Basically go off grid getting near 100% from solar. But that system was pushing 25k. Just too much. But I did come across portable systems starting out around 3k and up. For 3k it has enough portable solar panels and battery to run the basics, fridge, tv, internet etc. But, not enough battery to add more than 5-10 miles of range if I plugged my car into it at night. BUT…I can add a secondary (or more) battery to that system and around 5-7k I’d have a system that can run pretty much everything but central air in a power outage, can add 20-25 miles of range per night to my car, and all or part of it can be taken on a camping trip or a worksite, wherever. OR…for 6 grand there is an aftermarket company promising a sleek panel that matches my car’s roofline. Just going off the surface area of the pv panel, I estimate it adding 5-10 miles of range on the best sunniest day. As I see it the economics just aren’t there. I get a lot more for my money getting a home based system that I can plug my car into overnight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Idk why we are going on and on about this….we just need a little plutonium and some gigawatts. Or a Mr. Fusion.

60C57BAB-2EFF-4A7B-AA88-74ECD97DAA81.gif

• Funny Funny x 3