VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start the discussion:cool018:

Imagine Florida with a hurricane coming toward Miami. The Governor orders an evacuation. All cars head north. They all need to be charged in Jacksonville. How does that work? Has anyone thought about this? If all cars were electric, and were caught up in a three-hour traffic jam with dead batteries, then what? Not to mention that there is virtually no heating or air conditioning in an electric vehicle because of high battery consumption.

If you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating, no windshield wipers, no radio, no GPS (all these drain the batteries), all you can do is try calling 911 to take women and children to safety. But they cannot come to help you because all roads are blocked, and they will probably require all police cars will be electric also.

When the roads become unblocked no one can move! Their batteries are dead.

How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam? Same problem during summer vacation departures with miles of traffic jams. There would be virtually no air conditioning in an electric vehicle. It would drain the batteries quickly.

Where is this electricity going to come from? Today's grid barely handles users' needs. Can't use nuclear, natural gas is running out. Oil fired is out of the question, then where?

What will be done with billions of dead batteries, can’t bury them in the soil, can’t go to landfills.

The CART IS WAY AHEAD OF THE HORSE. No thought whatsoever to handle any of the problems that batteries can cause.

The liberal press doesn't want to talk or report on any of this.

In France, thousands of taxis are now stored as inoperable because the batteries are dead and to replace them would cost more than the value of the vehicle itself!

Reactions: marlake

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Exactly. It is amazing how unprepared that market is. I always said from decades ago ALL batteries for cars should have standardized sizes and R&R batteries. So you pull into existing fuel station that now has a rack of batteries and they just switch out, then recharge, like a quick type nascar tire change, so to speak. Probably multile batteries but it at least incorporated existing service platforms. They'd be smaller but you can stop and change.
When they get the graphine batteries together that'll help but I still believe it's far from being truly productive. JMHO.

Getting this today. Can't wait. Took the deal and researched/videos and I like it, especially where I live. Folding class 2 and can reprogram to class 3 with a simple mode change.

Wheel Tire Bicycle Bicycle wheel Crankset

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Perhaps we should just skip electric cars and go straight to electric multiple rotor helicopters. I will put out the bat signal to Elon Musk. When I was a young cartoon watcher, I sincerely thought by the time I reached this age we would be in the age of the Jetsons.

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly. It is amazing how unprepared that market is. I always said from decades ago ALL batteries for cars should have standardized sizes and R&R batteries. So you pull into existing fuel station that now has a rack of batteries and they just switch out, then recharge, like a quick type nascar tire change, so to speak. Probably multile batteries but it at least incorporated existing service platforms. They'd be smaller but you can stop and change.
When they get the graphine batteries together that'll help but I still believe it's far from being truly productive. JMHO.

Getting this today. Can't wait. Took the deal and researched/videos and I like it, especially where I live. Folding class 2 and can reprogram to class 3 with a simple mode change.

View attachment 590023
@BrotherWind ...Should be fun:icon_thumleft: BUT....

1. Call LLOYD'S for more HP/TQ
2. UD pulley
3. Needs fairing with stereo
4. BEST COLOR already:dance:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Perhaps we should just skip electric cars and go straight to electric multiple rotor helicopters. I will put out the bat signal to Elon Musk. When I was a young cartoon watcher, I sincerely thought by the time I reached this age we would be in the age of the Jetsons.
Just had too do it. Not so political as bat signal for some.
Some folks say my Vision looks like something out of the Jetsons.
Font Rectangle Circle Astronomical object Space

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son did a window tint job on a new Electric Hummer....it will lift front tires off ground when nail it:22yikes:

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
GM is committed to go all electric for everything except HD commercial in the next fifteen years. Pretty sure they and others are working to figure out all the hurdles to make it happen. As much as I don't want to give up my petroleum powered stuff I'm hoping that it all works out.
Who wants to be a millionaire? All you have to do is invent a noise maker for electric motorcycles that make it sound like a Harley going down the road.

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GM is committed to go all electric for everything except HD commercial in the next fifteen years. Pretty sure they and others are working to figure out all the hurdles to make it happen. As much as I don't want to give up my petroleum powered stuff I'm hoping that it all works out.
Who wants to be a millionaire? All you have to do is invent a noise maker for electric motorcycles that make it sound like a Harley going down the road.
@lou8700 ....IF sounds like a HD there's a problem....no oil in motors to "mark their spot":crackup:(can't use "chain oiler" either:cool018:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just use a clothes pin to hold a playing card against the spokes. Remember, or am I just showing my old age?:bike4_smilie:

·
Premium Member
14,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just use a clothes pin to hold a playing card against the spokes. Remember, or am I just showing my old age?:bike4_smilie:
@marlake ...check out my posts on laugh thread....speaking of age...more to come:cool018::crackup:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Playing cards - I wish. I probably destroyed thousands of dollars ( todays money ) in using baseball cards. Every week I bought at least a pack of baseball cards and got that bubble gum inside for about a nickel, maybe a dime.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What will be done with billions of dead batteries, can't bury them in the soil, can't go to landfills
This was my huge point with the compact fluorescent light bulbs. These were crammed down our throats. Remember if you purchased X amount of dollars at Walmart the bulbs were either free or discounted heavily. Then they contain a ball point pen amount of mercury. Not much I agree but multiply that by millions. But no plan or education on how to properly dispose of. Yeah they have bins at some stores but how many people actually knew this in the general public? How many actually bring in spent bulbs to the store to be disposed of? Now comes the LED lightbulb. Has circuit boards inside them. Many people buy these bulbs but don't understand kelvin or watts on these new types of bulbs. They throw them out because they don't like the color or it's too bright. The dimmers aren't compatible with incandescent lighting. So yeah millions of older dimmers added to landfills. Cellphones, chargers, transformers, tablets, laptops, computers, tv ect. Keep adding to the fill

So yes batteries and electronic waste is a huge concern. But not to this generation it seems. Car batteries are going to be a huge concern. They'll address that when it's too late as usual.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads

·
Registered
6,671 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ah, I’ll bite: Thing is this. There is only a finite amount of oil left int he world, and although we are good at getting every last drop now, we will run out, and not too far away. Despite what the news and politicians say. How do I know this? I worked for an oil company, or actually two of them for many years in Corporate aviation. So, we NEED oil in our lives. People don’t realize that oil and oil products are used in everything we do, from crating alternative energy, to washing our hair, or working around the house. Chemicals from hydrocarbons are in about everything.

We need alternative energy to provide things for our everyday life, and help extend the reserves of oil we actually have. Sounds stupid? It’s not.

As far as the discussion on electric vehicles failing in traffic jams: I lived in Houston for 18 years, and when a hurricane would threaten us, the freeways out of town would be jammed with gas powered vehicles that had run out of gas, died because of idling in traffic, or other mechanical reasons. It’s also not true that electric vehicles don’t work well providing AC, and other services that a gas powered vehicle provide. I own a hybrid. It’s has a tiny battery compared to the all electric vehicles, but I can assure you that even with the hybrid battery, which powers everything apart from basic essential services, it will keep things running a long time. I have proven this while being stuck in traffic jams, It also uses the hybrid electric system to power the car rather than running the engine, until the battery gets depleted. All in all, its still using less gas than the gas powered cars use. So fuel consumption is minimal. My car has a heat pump to provide warmth until the engine is up to temp, or when stuck in traffic, until the battery voltage drops enough that it starts the engine. The AC system is as effective as any I’ve ever had in any other vehicle.

Bear in mind that electric vehicles are much more efficient than my hybrid.

I love my gas powered toys. I hope I never have to do away with them, So I do a lot to try to minimize my effect on the environment by having a hybrid as one of my vehicles, and I have a solar power system to help power my house. It was a considerable investment. T/hat said, It’s just about paid for itself in 6 years of operation. While it’s saved considerable resources, a record of which is supplied by the software that drives the recording part of the system, it also required quite a bit of energy and hydrocarbon products to manufacture the panels, mounts, inverters and cables that make it all run.

Electricity is our future. With that said, Elon Musk told the government that if we switch to electric vehicles in the US, we will need twice the power generating capacity we have now. W/here will that come from? Will it pollute? If so how much? There’s a huge discussion that has to be had about that too.

Thanks for starting the conversation. it’s important to have it. I don’t want an electric motorbike. But, if that’s the only option, it will be better than sitting at home on the couch, reminiscing about the old days. Plus, I’ll just convert my Victory to alcohol, and build a still!

Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
First of all Most cars are Hybrids that require no Charging second Tesla's and other pure Electric Commuter cars have a range over 150 miles far beyond any evacuation Order I have ever seen usually they just want you to move away from the coast into a hardened structure and typically I don't go anywhere because they get the storm track wrong. Bottomline what? another Solution Generator in the Trunk or Civil Defence setting up Emergency Charging Stations Via Generators

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Everyone focuses on oil, but there is another resource that we have in abundance but are not using to it's full potential. And if pollution is a concern , then this resource also address that in a big way. Natural Gas. There remains only one real hurdle in order to better utilize NG, and that is the transportation of same in other than pipelines. Yes, it can be liquified, but that has special challenges. But it could be better.

Reactions: lou8700
1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.