VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Love the victories about to purchase a new one and have a choice of new 2010 victory vegas eight ballmodel or a new 2011. Saving money on the 2010 but is the bigger engine and 6 speed transmission really worth going to next years model?
Help me out

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
That depends on how much you are saving and how much you ride. I am pondering selling or trading my 10 for an 11 so I can get the 6 speed and the extended service intervals. I have a 106 and a 100, the engine difference is not major enough for me to trade up for the 106.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
based on your profile seems like the vegas is "your bike of choice". They are working the numbers for me but leaning towards the 2011 with the 6 speed. You like it obviously any recomendations?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Yeah, I sort of like them, 4 and counting...lol If we are talking about less then $2000.00 OTD then I would go with the 106/6 any more then that the 100/5 is looking better and better. If your not doing much long distance riding the 5-speed is great. After you get spoiled by a 6 speed it is hard to go back. Also (and this is pretty minor) the 2011 comes with the black headlight which I like better and just ordered and Ithey come with a black exhaust. Unfortunetely Victory doesnt make a black slip on for it so either way you will probably end up changing your exhaust out.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do lots of highway driving and if the 6th gear comes into play around 70mph.....I am going to have to go with the 2011

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

muckers said:
Do lots of highway driving and if the 6th gear comes into play around 70mph.....I am going to have to go with the 2011
I would say it is nice to have but it is not a must have. Up until a couple of years ago the 5 speed was the norm in allot of cruising bikes. I have had my 8-ball well over 110 in 5th gear with some more room left to go. To me it has more to do with pipe selection then the ability of the tranny. If you go with loud pipes it is nicer to have the 6 speed just because of the noise. I did a 4000 mile trip a few years back with a Suzuki C50 with an 800cc motor and a 5 speed and sat at 80mph all day long.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Funny you mention the C50....That is the bike I am moving up from to get the victory. Love the bike but need something bigger...I was thinking about putting the turned down pipes on the bike..Like some noise but my C50 was pipe and had an efi unit in it but at highway speeds RPMs are high and it lack that get an and go after 80mph. How are the turned down pipes for sound right from victory?
Nice to see you guys are just as good to talk to as the volusia riders chat siteI will be leaving

·
Registered
12,236 Posts

Oh we can get intense, just dont mention oil...lol
I like the Victory swepts, I didnt like the Ness Swepts. They have a nice throaty sound, not to loud but loud enough. But if you are looking to do any performance mods they are the worse pipes for it.
I still like them more for the looks and the sound. Pair that up with an S&S airbox and you will have allot of fun...

·
Registered
7,141 Posts

muckers said:
Where are you located in Ontario? If you are near any of the major hwys then a 6 speed is best change into 6th around 2500 rpm. Six Speed drops the revs by about 2,500 rpm, if you just ride the country hwys 6th is not needed, as Brother Don who is Follicley Challenged as well has explained the swepts look and sound great, had them on a KP, riding in the city at 2500 rpm 3rd or 4th not too loud but sound great when you crank it up a notch. With the swepts sound is some what deadened for those behind you as it is directed to the ground first enhancing the sound you hear.
Check this thread http://thevog.net/forums/display_topic/id_5647/
5th post down there is a sound bite of my ride with draggs on it.
I have listened to all Victory Stage 1 pipes from behind on the road and really I can't tell the difference in sound or loudness except for the swepts, (Quieter) as sound is directed to the road first.
Now riding with different pipes is differnt,
- Swepts as mentioned above, sound hits the road first so it refects back to you more than the guy behind you. If you are riding in the outside lane they blow up a lot of dust from the shoulder.
- Shotguns will sound louder (as they are shorterand the ends are closer to you) both to you and the rider behind, straightflow out.
- Drags do not sound as loud to me as the pipes are longer and sound exits futherback of bike, to the rider behind about the same as the Shot Guns.
S&S airbox is great but check with dealer to see if it effect your warranty, always good to know.
OT

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Up in Northern Ontario OT Sudbury so I am spending alot of time on highways to get anywhere. Going to see the stealer tomorrow and see what we can work out.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I am also a former C50 owner who went with the 8ball. I have the swept pipes and cruising on the highway is not a problem at all. Plenty of go-go left at 70-80.
The C50 was wound too high for me at those speeds. . .not the Vic. In fact, when I first got the bike, I also ordered the overdrive pulley because I assumed I would want to bring the RPM's down. After riding it for a while, I sold the overdrive pulley instead. No need to install it. Of course, the OD pulley would be a much cheaper way to get the RPM's down if that is a concern.
Personally, I wouldn't consider moving from my '09 Vic for the motor or the tranny. I would, however, consider going to the Jackpot for the fat rear tire. :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
2011 - supposed to be a smoother engine & 6th while not a have to have sure is nice (I have the 09 & no plans to trade just yet).

·
Registered
40 Posts

Strange, the UK must be in the lead...
This year I got a 2009 8ball 100 5 speed as the 2010 models were 106 6 speeds, but they were low's.
Lower seat, racked back bars and foot pegs so i got the older model as it was a better fit.
All 2010 models in the uk have 106 6 speeds one engine fitts all.
only down side is i'm looking at fitting a passenger seat, but the rear pegs are about £230!!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
UkNeil said:
Strange, the UK must be in the lead...
This year I got a 2009 8ball 100 5 speed as the 2010 models were 106 6 speeds, but they were low's.
Lower seat, racked back bars and foot pegs so i got the older model as it was a better fit.
All 2010 models in the uk have 106 6 speeds one engine fitts all.
only down side is i'm looking at fitting a passenger seat, but the rear pegs are about £230!!
All the bikes exported come with the same engine and tranny due to import regulations. Basically it is easier to get one drivetrain approved then two. Even over here in 2010 all the Vegas's were low models, I believe the same for the Kingpin.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Update on purchase status, the dealer has crunched the numbers and since the 10 comes with the swept pipes stage 1 with increase air intake and the blacked out headlight it is going to be more expensive than the 11. I do want the pipes but I am thinking ride for a year and then get the pipes gives me something to look forward.
what do you guys think?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think that any time that they want more money for an older bike somehting just doesntseem right. I agree the pipes are a want and the bike is a need. Besides who knows maybe just after you get the bike you will end up getting a little bonus and you will get them pipes. That happened to me lol. I hope that you enjoy the bike. Vic's are amazing. I absolutly love mine. But of course like any ones comment you gotta take it like that. Just someone elses comment. Get teh bike that fits and suits you and your personality best...and try to keep your budget in mind. Thats all i ever do haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.