VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am in the process of hopefully buying a Cross Country by next spring. I will be selling my Yamaha Raider to get it. Test drove a 2011 yesterday and I think with a few mods it will suit my needs just great.
The one thing though, that I wish the bike had was an earphone jack so I could still use the iPod controls on the handlebars with my ear buds in. I have noise cancelling ear buds that sound great and completely eliminate wind noise that I like to wear on longer rides. Has anyone had any success installing one or have any suggestions?
Also, I am used to the 113 on the Raider so I was fairly disappointed in the low end torque department on the CC. Does doing the PCV and exhaust make a big difference in torque? It seemed like it had decent power in the upper RPM range, but just doesn't have the throw you back in the seat and hang on for dear life feel that the Raider has.
A windshield and lowers will definitely be a first upgrade as well. I couldn't believe how windy it was with the fairing, but if I ducked down just a couple inches it was smooth as glass. It seems odd to me, as I have just a little Memphis Shades Pop Top on the Raider and seems like the top of the w/s on both bikes is just below my nose and the Raider does a much better wind management job. I guess its because of the slanted back angle of the CC w/s where mine is more straight up and down.
Also, does anyone know if they make a heel toe shifter for this bike? I love how big the floorboards are and the infinite positions you can put your legs in, but feel it should have a heel shifter.
All in all it looks like an awesome bike and I can't wait to get one. Love the styling, storage capacity, FUEL capacity, the cruise is great(no more tickets from the throttle lock for me!), seat is better than any other stock seat I have sat on, and all the creature comforts in the fairing sure are nice!
Thanks in advance for your help,
Josh

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

If you are not satisfied with power and torque output of the 106 Lloydz can fix you up. How fast do you want to go, how much do you want to spend??? I just can't see someone not liking what the standard Vic-106 offers IMHO. Don't complain about traffic tickets if you can't keep your hand from the "twisty" smile.
Heel-Toe shifter: #2876577 $169.99 Pure Victory Gear, p17. Some people say that it decreases foot movement space and one ride (doan remember who) made the heel part smaller (by grinding the suckeroff) to avoid this issue. Personally, I'd rather have the room, and$170 is expensive, so I think it is not needed. Adapt - you are the customer and you are NOT ALWAYS RIGHT in the Vic scheme of things. It's your wallet to lighten....
Search for ZZedmonds - he has done a lot of things with sound/amp/etc mods. Maybe he knows what you are after...
eta moya dva rubles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess.
I wasn't "complaining about traffic tickets," I was complainingabout a throttle lock and its inability to maintain speed through varying grades, winds, etc, which resulted in a traffic ticket because I wasn't paying attention as I was 984 miles into my Iron Butt "Bun Burner" ride. Hence, the very attractive feature of electronic cruise on the CC.
As far as the power thing goes, the CC definitely has some, its just tough going from one of the most powerful cruisers on the market to one with not quite as much power. I guess once I started riding it consistently I probably wouldn't notice, but since I rode my bike to the test ride, it was very apparent. I will look into the mods Lloydz offers, I was just wanting some feedback on the PCV and if it makes a noticable difference.
Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went from a VTX1800, which is all torque, all the time, and while I occasionally miss the huge freight train appeal, I've found that the CC is actually more fun to ride, especially in the twisties due to the CC's lack of torque and higher gearing. With a torque monster, you can pull out of any turn easily and it's just a big, horsey cruiser; the CC requires much more finesse with the need to get the gearing right to exit a curve correctly. The CC keeps me more involved in the ride...

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have a '11 blue CC heal shift is not $170 they fixed the problem of throwing away a perfectly good toe shift by making a bolt on heal shifter $100 (look at the shifter next time you are next to a CC or CR) mine came in today can't wait to put it on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Roamer said:
Re: earphone jack. I used the rear speaker connection under the left sidecover to add an earphone jack. The connector can be sourced at www.pscconnectors.com/12047931.aspx.
I'm trying to hook up my aux input to my J&M CB which is an earphone jack,so that I can listen to the radio through my headset in my helmet.Would you have a diagram of your jack hook up,or a pic.
Thanks
Geo.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Josh, good to see ya here, you Raider Trader LOL. Which dealer you using.
And congrats on your Iron Butt, must be nice to be young again.
Did ya make it to Severance? Cops were everywhere.
Good luck on the bike deal. Jack

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Perhaps I'm missing something but the comments about the Raider and VTX having so much more power than the Vic 106 motor just aren't backed up by real world numbers.

From what's been published around the web as well as my butt dyno having ridden all these bikes, in stock form the difference in power between the 3 motors is insignificant.

What everyone seems to forget is you are coming from naked bikes to a fully fared and bagged touring bike that weighs more and has different gearing.

If you are comparing stock vs. a modified Raider or VTX then that's an unfair comparison. Drop the same dime on the 106 motor and then come on hear and talk about lack of power.......

I'm just sayin'.....

Oh, and welcome to the Victory family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hey everyone,
Thank you for all the suggestions and comments.
Roamer, thank you very much for the earphone jack solution. Will definitely do that once I get it.
Busa,what are you doing over here lol? Did you buy a 3rd bike? I test road one in Cheyenne, but I will probably actually be buying one from my Yami dealer, they are a Polaris atv and utv dealer. Over the years and through both of our careers the GM and I have become good acquaintances and both mutual customers of eachothers'. He told me he could have one of his dealer buddies transfer him one at pretty close to dealer cost and then sell it to me for close to the same price so thats most likely who I will end up buying one from. I have not had the best experiences with the Cheyenne sales department. Twice I have gone in there to buy, whether it be a new snowmobile or motorcycle, and both times I had waited 20 minutes while sitting on the machine I intended to buy before anyone came up to me, and both times they never seemed like they wanted or cared(and price wasn't even brought up)about my business so I don't think I will do business there. As a sales professional myself, I expect a little bit higher level of service if I am going to spend tens of thousands at a place. I did not make it to Severance, but saw all the bikes riding there in the morning down 85. I had other plans that weekend unfortunately. Tomorrow if you are out riding though, my dad and one if his buddies from his Star chapter in Iowa are riding out and we are going to have a bonfire at my place tomorrow evening. Its only a short 25-30 minute ridefrom Cheyenne! Thanks for the congrats on the Iron Butt. It was a lot of fun. Glad I did it and I'm sure more are in my future! I'm now thinking the 1500(actually 1602)miles in 36 was too easy, have to go for the Gold!! Lol, we'll see how that goes!
As far as comments about the power of the CC, 1/4 mile times are only 1/2 a second apart, but their power bands are completely different animals. As I stated above, the CC seems to pull really well at higher RPM's, but that gives a totally different feel to that of the Raider which pulls mediocre at higher rpms, but rips your arms out at lower rpms. This could also be part in gearing, but since the 1/4's are close and I haven't seen any dyno graphs of both bikes next to eachother, this is my story and I'm sticking to it.
As far as modified vs stock, the only mod to my Raider is Cobra dragster exhaust which has been proven to slightly decrease performance compared to a stock bike, so that argument holds no water. The torque curves between the motors are different and that is what most butt-dynos notice. If the 106 makes the same torque at 4500 rpms as the Raider does at 2500 there is going to be a HUGE difference between the way the bikes feel.
I like the rest of the CC enough that I will buy one as truly I am buying this for a touring bike as that seems to be what I spend most of my time on a motorcycle doing, and this bike fits the bill extremely well. Eventually, when funds allow it and/or my other toy addictions fade I will buy a 2nd bike, probably another Raider that I can mod the heck out of, for my torque/drag bike feel/fix.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/help/comments. I look forward to being on here as an owner in the near future!
Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts
I run a Zumo 550 through the aux input of the XC radio. I purchased the auxiliary audio connector 2877196 from Victory, cut off the male connector and spliced on a longer cord with a female connector. I tie wrapped the connector to the handlebars near the Zumo ram ball mount.

Under the left side cover is an accessory connector. This connector has connections for rear speakers, among other things. See my previous post for a link to a supplier for the accessory connector mate. To this I wired in a cable with a female headphone jack an ran the cable up to between the tank and seat. This was going to be a temporary location until I figured out something more permanent but I may stick with this setup.

I plug sound isolating earbuds into this jack and use the volume and fader controls on the radio to set the level. There is tons of level available and the earbuds cut out the wind and road noise. Not to worry though, you can still clearly hear engine sounds and sirens (don't ask).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.