E3 spark plugs ……. Thoughts | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

E3 spark plugs ……. Thoughts

Discussion in 'Tech Q&A' started by slickvic, Sep 26, 2021.

1. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 Cross Country
    I’ve decided to try a set in the magnumx1. Miy signature shows the mods that most here already know of. Why ??? You say ??? Because it was time for plugs since these are the originals and since there were a new set up for grabs with free next day shipping. Model E36. Let you know how the days ride turns out.

2. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    All the posts I've read about them on motorcycle forums it is just a marketing gimmick and waste of money. I don't think they are any worse than a normal plug but no real benefit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    My issue is that electricity passes the least resistance route. With multiple electrodes only one is going to cause the spark to arc not all three.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    I spoke with Danny at Lloyd's in NY a couple years back and he said stick with OEM. I was going to do what you are doing. Please let us know when time comes if it mattered or??? Good luck...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Snake oil, stick with the stock NGK's.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Blowndodge

2013 Victory XCT
    Don't turn this into another "Oil" thread! :badgrin:

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Our bikes do NOT have knock sensors. Your bikes are performance tuned with the OEM plugs. The E3 plugs are known to induce pinging .

Personal experience with E3 went like this. I picked them up for my Kawasaki powered lawnmowers when I couldn't find the NGKs locally.

Initial startup was great but they were short lived. Inside a month they had to go, mowers became hard to start cold and nearly impossible hot. Still running the same NGKs that I replaced the E3s with almost 2 years ago.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    From the riding I did I can say start up was quick to fire. Power was good at the throttle but not enough to show a difference. My NGKs were done so these were a try. One thing I did notice was a bit more decel popping ? Also a pop at start ups ? Wondering if these are giving more or less of a complete burn ?

As far as mechanics like Danny or Lloydz or anyone protecting a reputation……. You won’t find them recommending anything other than what is recommended from the manufacturer. It’s a CYA thing and it’s a smart practice.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. iabob

iabob Well-Known Member

Victory Kingpin
    The thing with spark plugs is it’s kinda like tires. You put a brand new set on and it’s WAY better than the old won out ones. Add a thousand miles of being inside a combustion chamber and the new plugs tend to be just like the old plugs. As long as the fuel gets ignited…they’re doing their job. Another way to think of it is like intake and cams. We have mountains of evidence that aftermarket intakes and cams add power so everybody’s onboard. It would be so incredibly easy to gain mountains of evidence from a 30 dollar spark plug upgrade if they actually outperformed the stockers. Lloyd, Rylan, Scott, Kevin, all would have been telling us for years now to ditch our stock plugs and gain 3 or 4 hp with a spark plug upgrade, if it was there to be had.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    I totally agree. In no way did I start this thread stating that I expected a difference. I saw them up for sale and I grabbed them. More of a curiosity thing. I get the design and understand the engineering but in my opinion I see no reason to buy them. Maybe they work better with a performance ignition system? One thing I did Like Was the fact that I did not have to gap them or check the gap.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Some sparkplug tech...

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  12. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    Looks like the E3 and the Pulstar seemed to perform the best in the project farm video. Funny.
    Not enough in my opinion to fork out twice as much money for a spark plug. My interest is in how long the E3 plugs last. The cost for the time of operation isn’t enough to make me never buy them again. If you compare this to something like let’s say …… hmmmm…… what can we compare to ……. Ok that’s it ……… oil !
    Compare the bargain of Rotella vs Spectro …… a measurable cost difference. They both perform their jobs of lubricating and protecting the engine. One may do it better than the other for a longer period of time. So it depends on what you like and what you believe is the best product for you. I could stand behind Spectro all day as the best product for our bikes. I can’t stand behind E3 the way I do Spectro though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flyboy

Flyboy Well-Known Member

Victory Boardwalk
    Here is the funny part on my “opinion” as I just had to replace 12 in a Porsche flat six running two distributors with 2 plugs per cylinder. That said these were the least expensive and copper core. A lot of reference to oil with zinc in it reacting to precious metals like iridium and platinum and temp variation. But I may consider platinum next time anyway if the same three prong configuration.

The point here is the air cool engine was designed decades ago and the below is the OEM and I had to change my mind about the gimmick view. They are Bosch copper-core with the three prong. I don’t use E3 and had one in a chainsaw for a bit as it provides an alternate path for spark if fouling. Just didn’t hang it that application and went back to NGK...

As to why Porsche was using two per cylinder, complete burn for EPA stuff and redundancy kinda. No power increase claimed.

A3BAC516-1C86-4CAF-B776-E614FB27E7EA.jpeg

Just FYI, from the air-cool in an airplane has two types the normal priced mass electrodes and the expensive fine wire... Here to is a lead interaction thing, though I have never seen it. I would rather just change out more often with the mass ones at two per cylinder for safety reasons there...
    650B380C-D581-41DE-99B8-D88F5977C90E.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. slickvic

2011 Cross Country
    All true. I don’t buy spark plugs for performance regarding horse power. That’s where an ignition system would come in. Then again my mostly stock motor doesn’t need it. The stock system with NGK stock plugs is more than adequate. A big bore with power adder ? That changes everything. Now we plan for only the best components. After all your spending the money right ? so these E3 plugs were $3.99 each on Amazon. Copper core and the model is E36. I think I pay around $6 to $7 at autozone for my NGKs. So why not. They work and they’re finally priced right with free next day shipping !!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Blowndodge

2013 Victory XCT
    Go ROTELLA!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2