VOG Forum banner
181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Just goes to show my non knowledge of pvcx , I thought it was like a power commander, I'll just slowly back out of the conversation.:biggrin:
Flash tuner that is more user friendly than a Maximus I think but I've never used a Maximus.

Reactions: wickman

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maximus does data log without wide band system, but..... it's almost useless feature.
For comparison reasons (DynoJet PV CX vs TechnoResearch Maximus) follow up, I have connected and linked/married my newly purchased (from WitchDoctors) Maximus to my 2016 XCT (after inserting the O2 sensors black receptacle into the sensor's connector to bring the O2 narrow band sensors into usage) and was able to perform a data log (mobile dyno session). The wide band system is in transit to me, and so will make the data log feature usable. The selection to use the motorcycles (narrow band Lambda) O2 sensors doesn't allow the recording, or even showing their readings! What a bummer.

Not that I can find a PV CX, and now that I've purchased the Maximus and TRO2 Wide band system I'm not switching, but out of curiousity, can anyone confirm the PV CX can display and record factory narrow band O2 sensors?

(I would think so since it has been said that the PV CX can (to a certain degree) tune using only narrow band O2.)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not that I can find a PV CX, and now that I've purchased the Maximus and TRO2 Wide band system I'm not switching, but out of curiousity, can anyone confirm the PV CX can display and record factory narrow band O2 sensors?

(I would think so since it has been said that the PV CX can (to a certain degree) tune using only narrow band O2.)
Thanks for the useful info.

As to your question, PVCX does not display narrowband lambda readings either. When narrowband flash tuning is done on our 106 Vics, lambda is inferred indirectly from target AFR and fuel trim.

Our Visteon ECU is pretty minimal in its capability and only supports short-term fuel trim (no long-term fuel trim). After putting most of the bike's operating range (except near WOT) into closed-loop mode, a street run is made which records target AFR and (short-term) fuel trim in a log file.

Since fuel trim tries to compensate for measured AFR (lambda) -- which is not visible to us in both PVCX and Maximus -- falling below or above target AFR, it is an easy matter to solve the equation that computes fuel trim to find the hidden narrowband sensor O2 AFR.

From the inferred measured AFR and target AFR, a correction can be applied to the relevant cells in the VE table. Hence if Maximus logs target AFR and fuel trim with narrowband O2 sensors during street runs, narrowband O2 tuning, in principle, can be done with Maximus.

With the caveat that if DirectLink does not support the aforementioned inference of measured AFR based on logged fuel trim and target AFR, then the information in the data log would need to be decoded to calculate and apply the corrections.

By copying the VE table values into different software (Excel would do), make corrections, then copy the values back to DirectLink so that the updated VE tables can be flashed to the ECU.

I think TwoManyXS1Bs mentioned that he took a look at the log format of Maximus and determined that it was binary and not a standard format such as csv.

So the question "does Maximus support narrowband tuning" means does DirectLink have the aforementioned software support for 106 Vics so that we can click on a button after a log session and the VE table updates are automatically carried out.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Replied in other thread.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Just saw waterhog post.
Great explanation.

Does Maximus have any sort of script running capability? That is where the magic happens with the DJ powercore software is running scripts to modify table values.

·
Registered
394 Posts
...Does Maximus have any sort of script running capability?
Not that I'm aware of.
When you activate DirectLink's Mobile Dyno session, it starts logging data when the Maximus is reconnected. When you're done logging, you 'end' the session and the Autotuner automatically fires-up. It pops-up a logging map and starts reporting the values (# of hits, target AFR, front cyl actual AFR, rear cyl actual AFR) for each cell.

Here's what it looks like:

Kinda fun to watch, as it reports in fasttime what your logging run did. Like if you spent some time in the 2,500 - 3,000 rpm zone, followed by more time in the 3,500 - 4,000 rpm zone, you'll see the cell values diddle like a fast playback of your run. Important to watch this, if you can remember how you did the run, because there's the chance that you've missed some cells. A learning experience, helps to strategize and plan your logging runs, so you won't miss any cells. Difficult at the more-open-throttle high-rpm cells, since these beasts don't like to linger. Long/steep remote hills almost necessary.

After it finishes the logging map, it'll pop-up the fueling tables and immediately adjust their cells.

Then you're left with 3 maps displayed: The logging map, front cyl table, rear cyl table

Review them, make changes as desired, then apply those changes to the tuning file.

Takes a few iterations of this to get the hang of it. Certain cells tend to get wonky, like at the far corners, from spurious data at shutdown.

This area *could* use some improvements, like highlighting "low-hit-count" cells, some sort of "auto-ignore" for single-hits, or limits on outrageous values.

You could study and analyze the cells 'till your eyes bleed.

Or do what I do. Screenshot each map, and copy each map to a spreadsheet for later off-line study. Then fix the obvious bad hits, apply the changes, and save the tunefile. Later, like after lunch and a good nap, fire-up the spreadsheets and study them, adjust whatever as necessary. When satisfied, copy the spreadsheet maps back into the tuning file at a later time, when it's more convenient...

Reactions: waterhog

·
Registered
724 Posts
Looks like we won't know for certain if Maximus allows for narrowband tuning for 106 Vics unless someone tries it out. Based on what TwoManyXS1Bs indicated, autotune seems to engage automatically when a mobile dyno session terminates.

That likely means the wideband controller that communicates with the ECU and Maximus over the CAN bus induces Maximus to create a log file containing measured AFR. DirectLink detects that in the log file and enters autotune.

Although far less accurate, AFR measurements from factory narrowband O2 sensors could be used instead, obviating the need to infer AFR from target AFR and fuel trim in PVCX. Whether this is the case for our Vics would need confirmation. If so, it would be a more user friendly feature than PVCX where its tuning software requires running Python scripts.

In general, scripting support in PVCX is a more powerful, user configurable feature that allows the type of VE table calibration that TwoManyXS1Bs pointed out to be carried out in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yep I'm happy with my PVCX. I did narrowband but now that I caught the wideband kit on sale I'll be playing with that. Check my work on my narrowband tuning and check areas I never put into narrowband. Should be fun tinkering ahead. :)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Got my wideband kit delivered.
I know the ECU can't read these and I usually disconnect my PVCX and remove from bike when I'm not actively tuning. Guess I'll be running all open loop for a while.

Reactions: TwoManyXS1Bs

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Well isn't this annoying. ECU plug only has constant power and it's not on the pin with the included harness. So I'll have to use my 64" cable and keep the WBCX powered on. It's that or sourcing the connectors so I can get switched power on the correct pin. Little box probably doesn't need much power anyway.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well isn't this annoying. ECU plug only has constant power...
You too, huh?
I added a switch for mine.

Post #34.
Texican gets a Vegas

I wanted to be able to conveniently switch it on/off to not only control when it datalogs, but to prevent constantly sending power to it and the 2016 wideband O2 sensor heaters while the bike is turned-off. Those pull a lot of current, drains the battery...

Reactions: waterhog

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
You too, huh?
I added a switch for mine.

Post #34.
Texican gets a Vegas

I wanted to be able to conveniently switch it on/off to not only control when it datalogs, but to prevent constantly sending power to it and the 2016 wideband O2 sensor heaters while the bike is turned-off. Those pull a lot of current, drains the battery...
Never thought about the wideband heaters. It's just a Delphi connector. I'll add the wire to the appropriate location with switched power.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Textile Purple Automotive design Material property Tints and shades

Got what I need to bring in switched power.

181 - 193 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.