VOG Forum banner

Dunlop’s E4’s & first 75 miles

7K views 62 replies 28 participants last post by  Bikesofbrads 
#1 · (Edited)
Put E4’s on today & first impression after 75 miles of roughing them in is good nuff so far. I hit some major curves so could take tire from edge to edge breaking them in. Great bite & even handled gravel piles well. I did notice my old Bridgestone Exedra was lil wider but whatever. The E4’s transition well from side to side. I bought @ Honda Suzuki Polaris Can Am of Jackson because had in stock & could mount them today @ the crazy price of $623 time installed out the door regular weights for balance. I kept my old front ( still has some life ) & paid the $2 disposal for my bald rear. I meant to take a pic of it looked like a slick edge 2 edge. I haven’t rode 2 up or loaded for travel or with groceries yet but will report as time goes by. Great handling so far though

#3 ·
E3 front and E4 rear here.
Been running that for couple years.
Doesn't suck.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
#4 ·
I had a original 90/90-21 E3 up front and it was alright, but very strong rubber, I went with 90/90-21 Night Dragon after that and it's MUCH rounder and narrower, so better cornering

The E3 250/40-18 on the rear i removed even before it was finished, went to Metzler, apparently there are better tires then Metz but they are 3x better than that dunglop i had on the rear

Just my personal experience with riding style that only last 8000 to 11000 kilometers per rear tire

#5 ·
Holy crap only 8-11k’s that’s awesome for my imaginary tire stock but terrible on ur real life wallet. To each their own so ride on HARD:flame:

#7 ·
Holy crap only 8-11k's that's awesome for my imaginary tire stock but terrible on ur real life wallet. To each their own so ride on HARD:flame:
I think it's the road conditions here in Indonesia, @Motorbikerx has the same kilometers per rear tire in OZ,

please note there are no highways here, it's 7 islands connected by bridges, it's very hot and no speed cameras, if I am in the same gear for 5 minutes that's exeptional ....

In the USA you have so many highways that even if you going to the twinsies that the highway miles still rack onto the tire, so 20.000 kilometers would be normal maybe ?

Anyway WOT is always just a twitch away ...

#6 ·
i'm on E4's for the first time and i love them. very confidence inspiring and they're still looking pretty good after 9,500 mi's. picked up a nail in the back tire at 2 thou and it held a slime plug just fine till about a week ago, tire pressure was at 32 psi the other day for the first time, hoping to get at least 15 thou out of them. can't comment much on heavy rain as i'm pretty much a fair weather rider but i have been it wet conditions without issue. the E3's were noisy after 5 thou mi's and no sign of that yet out of the E4's. i'm a fan :pepper1:

#8 ·
I have E4s on both of my bikes now. They are much better than the E3s, especially in the wet. I still don't know what kind of milage I can get out of then though as I've picked up a nail in both rears and had them replaced. Just can't bring myself to ride on a plug or patch.

#9 ·
I’m curious on potential mileage as well on the E4’s.

Reactions: Im4reguy
#14 ·
I'm curious on potential mileage as well on the E4's.
On my second set of E4s with the Vision. IIRC I got about 16k on the rear and 18k on the front.

#10 ·
Put E4's on today & first impression after 75 miles of roughing them in is good nuff so far. I hit some major curves so could take tire from edge to edge breaking them in. Great bite & even handled gravel piles well. I did notice my old Bridgestone Exedra was lil wider but whatever. The E4's transition well from side to side. I bought @ Honda Suzuki Polaris Can Am of Jackson because had in stock & could mount them today @ the crazy price of $623 time installed out the door regular weights for balance. I kept my old front ( still has some life ) & paid the $2 disposal for my bald rear. I meant to take a pic of it looked like a slick edge 2 edge. I haven't rode 2 up or loaded for travel or with groceries yet but will report as time goes by. Great handling so far though
I think you are going to like them. Worked great for me since Dec. 2018. $ 623 Yikes.

#11 ·
E4 or Avon Chrome. Only 2 tires I would consider for XC or Vision. I have E3 on the magnum and I see them leaving way before they’re ready to go. I forgot how much I disliked E3 when I purchased this bike.

#12 ·
I put 16,000 miles on my last set of E4s and I could not have been happier with the confidence they give me.I had a second set of E4s installed in July of 2019 and unfortunately picked up a nail in the rear tire at 11,300 miles in October 2020 and had Vicbaggers install a Shinko Journey they had on hand to finish out the front E4.The Shinko rear and E4 front make for a strange combination when crossing a steel grate bridge it just wanders all over the place.The E4 front will also wander some on a steel grate bridge and on tar snakes but you get used to it fast.I will report on the Shinko rear when it has 8,000 miles on it.I will likely get another set of E4s next summer which costs about $500 to $540 installed with weights.I only ride in rain when I just happen to get caught in it so I have no opinion on wet handling.

#13 · (Edited)
It’s funny they told me $510 Installed so I rode the bike in & after the install they backpedaled said if I just brought the wheels in. They charged me 1.5hrs labor for the tire change. Sad thing is was 7 employees there, myself & I only saw 1 other customer come in during my 2 hr visit, he didn’t buy anything I understand they gotta pay the bills somehow I was happy to have my Vin # ran to check for recalls & such, pleased to report my rear brake line recall had been done Sept 2017 so is all good. Funny now I remember why I always used the Kawi shop on other side of town even for Suzuki parts. Shame John’s Kawasaki of Jackson is gone RIP John, Carrol & Lil John too, Carrol sold the shop after her husband & son passed away. The new owners changed the name after couple years & moved it to Chillicothe under name Custom Power Sports. I found a shop flying the Victory signage in Wilmington Oh by Ceasers Creek called Clinton power sports so gonna check it out too just for giggles. They wonder why people buy parts online......well duh Homer Simpson could figure that out

#15 ·
@md2420 Wow 16k that'll work, my only concern is the rear E4's a lil narrower so when we're 2 up loaded I wonder how well it'll hold up & how "stable" it'll feel by comparison to the Bridgestone Exedras I had. I'm sure it won't be an issue but still I wonder. FYI, We're about 1300 lbs when loaded I think, been trying to find a scale when out & about just to see

#16 ·
@md2420 Wow 16k that'll work, my only concern is the rear E4's a lil narrower so when we're 2 up loaded I wonder how well it'll hold up & how "stable" it'll feel by comparison to the Bridgestone Exedras I had. I'm sure it won't be an issue but still I wonder.
cant really comment on this since I have only run the E4 and rarely run 2-up.

#17 ·
All that bike & only U on it seems like an injustice to the spaceship industry, guess would be handy if a school bus full of children broke down so U could give them all a ride.......@ the same time. Hell could just tow the bus to the school

• Haha
Reactions: md2420
#18 ·
...the shuttle...
if a school bus full of children broke down so U could give them all a ride.......@ the same
I never appreciated the Vision until I rode one @ Demo Days when Victory was still selling bikes. Ever since then I thought a white one would be cool with some NASA letters and numbers, with hints of tile shadows and a blacked out engine and undercarriage.

#21 ·
I am still running E4s. I have been very satisfied with them to date. Way better than the E3s were.

#24 ·
I had a set of E4s for about 14K miles. They felt good but on some pavements were very noisy. So much so that guys I was riding with commented.
The rear was getting worn but not to the bars and it seemed that they had lost some stability. The kicker was when the rear tire broke loose on a turn in the rain.
Replaced both with Michelins because they are supposed to be good in the rain. The Mich's feel much more stable and handle bridge grates better than any other tire I've had.
Looks like the season is over here and I haven't been in the rain yet to say how they will do on wet pavement. But, for handling on dry pavement I'll take them over E4s. Don't know how they will do for miles but I'm not expecting them to do as well as E4s.

#26 ·
...The kicker was when the rear tire broke loose on a turn in the rain.
Replaced both with Michelins because they are supposed to be good in the rain...
I owned one set of Mich-Pilots but, replaced the front tire 3 times due to goose-eggs! Those tires have a tendency to run GREAT then, one turn on an off ramp 'n they start to tear from the inside out. 2 of the front tires were replaced by Mich (no cost in labor either) but, I haven't bought 'nother Pilot since.

#25 ·
I find it interesting that so many have different experiences with tires on the Cross bikes and Vision. Same tire can bring negative or positive responses. I think it best to take reviews of tires and put them in a percentage of pos and neg but at the same time not all roads are created equal. Riding habits and Maint habits all play a major roll in tire performance and longevity. While the Avon’s won’t last as long as some others ( haven’t tried the chromes) I will recommend them solely for traction especially in the rain. It’s safe to say that most tires will perform well on dry pavement but wet is another world. This is where your tire counts.

#27 ·
700 miles on my new E4'S and very happy. Although I was happy with my Commander 2's, a bit more stable, I prefer these E4'S because they seem to cut into corners faster. Also a radial. I'm not a hard rider, but surely appreciate the twisties...

Interesting thing is with my skid plate and being back to oem tire size, 60 vs 65 or a .26" lower difference between the two, and bike lowered one inch I now have to use a piece of 3/4 ply to back up on to get a 3.75" oil pan under her. Pita!!! And that centerline in the E4'S does catch stuff. I could definitely see not using them if I had to travel on those metal bridges. Fortunately I left that crap back in NJ and NY years ago.

And I'm not paying a fortune for a HD oil pan!!!

#29 ·
And I'm not paying a fortune for a HD oil pan!!!
glad you like your E4s! Re: the oil pan, I invested in the HD one many years ago and it's great. I see they have "knockoffs" on Amazon and eBay for about $30. Really easy to use and a timesaver.

#28 ·
If I had any gripe with the E4's, it would be that center groove in the front tire. It was a real issue when the tire was very new, but over time it either became less of an issue or I just got used to it. I am about 1/3 through the life of the tire and now it's real nice. I am still considering trying a set of Avons next, just to see what they are all about.

#33 ·
Did another 150 ish miles on them today solo, actually pushed them a lil after initial rough in. I am very happy so far as they have great feel, are quiet, smooth & seem to grip well. No wet rides yet but will report when do.

Reactions: mister-g
#34 ·
Again no wet ride reporting !!!!!! Gentlemen gentle men ! We are waiting for wet ride reviews ! Now get your rain gear in order and get out there and test those tires ! When you get back tell old slick all about the scary tar snakes and slickery pavement. You know I'll tell you that the Cobras rule in the rain.

#37 ·
Hope he’s racing to a buffet, That’s the skinniest man alive, damn give that guy some extra butter

Reactions: BP6666VR
#38 ·
E4 Rear on my XC,....Last one,E4, got me 14,000 kms thats 8,700 miles, thats Downunder, riding hard, two-up a lot of the time, attention paid to pressures,..Scored a nail in that one a coupla days after it was fitted.
Andrew, my tyre man removed the tyre and installed a mushroom plug from the inside, it lasted the life of the tyre and cost me fifty bucks.
Good thing about owning and riding two Victorys, the tyres last twice as long,,I'm replacing them roughly yearly on both bikes instead of every 6 months on one.
E4's tick all the boxes for me, Im sticking with them, at least on the rear, running a shinko radial on the front .
And two Shinko 777's on the Vegas.
No problems with either in the rain.....as for E3's No Way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.