Dunlop Elite 4 Available May 1 | Page 2 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Dunlop Elite 4 Available May 1

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Kingpin007, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Ariesnc

Ariesnc Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2015 Victory Magnum
    I didn't know if it was just my riding style or not but it seems others didn't like the E3 tires on wet surfaces. Well I'm sure the e4 tire will be better and provide good mileage so having more choices is good.

• Like Like x 1
  2. spamaster

spamaster Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT Black
    Bike came with E3 and I live in Oregon and ride in wet more than most and I never had any issue with them in the rain. I ran the 888 after that but picked up a nail and in a pinch had to put on the 880, when they wear out I think will give the E4 a shot.

3. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision
    I like the E3's a lot, with one caveat.
    They suck on tar snakes.

They have been great on steel grated bridges, grooved highways, high speed freeway riding in the rain, grip in the twisties, and braking.
    I have been averaging 14,000 miles per set which is nearly double what I was getting on my last bike.

I look forward to putting on the E4's when I need my next set.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ghostrider25

Ghostrider25 Lone Rider of the Apocolypse

'14 Victory Vision.......... '17 Triumph Trophy ...... '11 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    You know, I just took a nice romp through some of my favorite stomping grounds today. It had been a while since I had been up there to the four corners, and the road offered a slightly different set of challenges today. They were cutting down some trees up there so there was dirt on the road, some new ruts that were not there before and a bit of water from the recent rain.

The E3s handled all of it very well I thought. I did have to use a bit of caution when riding through the wet/dry transitions; she got a little squirrely on me a couple of times. And of course I am always surprised by how well the Vision handles in the twisties for such a big bike. I was getting some pretty nice lean angles going and some good left/right flicks, and again the tires held their edge nicely.

So for me the E3s are OK and normally I would be eager to try the E4. I am concerned about the middle groove in the front tire though. Bigfoot, if you do get the E4 I will be very interested in how they do for you. Keep us posted!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sutherland

Sutherland Well-Known Member

08 Kingpin/2013 CCT
    Well went with Elite 4 on back of bike like it so far, was going to go with same on front but they don't make 120/70R 21 so I will see what to put on front as I don't like the Elite 3 I have now tire cups and wears funny.
    Regards

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Ghostrider25

This was something I noticed with my first set of E3's, the front especially wore in a somewhat peculiar way and cupped pretty badly towards the end of its life. And right on schedule, I can see the same thing starting to happen on the second E3 front as the tire nears the end of its useful life. I will still get about 15,000 miles out of it but I would have to back it down a bit to do that because of the odd ware pattern that is showing up again, and with the rains coming soon I most likely will not wait that long. We don't really know if the E4 will do the same thing as the E3 in the front, and I still have concerns about that middle groove that the front E4 has, so I may go with Avons to get me through the Winter months. I understand the wet performance of the Cobras is exceptional.

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Well-Known Member

2011 Vision
    Dunlop claims that a Goldwing can traverse the country coast to coast 6 times before needing to be replaced.
    Goldwing's are notorious for eating tires.
    That's 18,000 miles.
    For me, that would be a 4,000 mile improvement over the E3's which have averaged 14,000 miles of safe usage on my Vision.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sutherland

Sutherland Well-Known Member

08 Kingpin/2013 CCT
    My dealer and other have stated many time that air pressure is the real culprit with this tire, that said I have never seen a tire that air pressure changes so much in in so little time. I am seriously thinking of buying TPMS for front & back wheel, just happens my GPS crapped out on me and the new one I ordered has a program that allows you to use these. I was against using these but I may have to give in as I always thought of myself being my TPMS.
    Regards

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    FOBO Bike - FOBO

10. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision
    The TPMS will just tell you what mine tells me. Tire pressures increase a lot for the first 5 or 10 minutes of riding. My cold rear pressure is 42 PSIG but after 5 minutes it usually shows at least 47 PSIG and I have seen it even higher on a warm day. If I go out on a 45ºF morning it will be down around 39 PSIG.

11. T-Rex

T-Rex New Member

2015 Victory CCT
    I agree that E3s have little traction in the rain!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ghostrider25

@VicVisionBulldog I agree, the E3's are not the best in the rain or wet. I personally have not had tar snake issues with them, but others have had that problem with the E3 as well.

I thought I was all set to try a set of E4's but then I considered that the rains will be here soon and I have heard very goos things about the wet performance and over-all grip of the Avon Cobras. So now I am kind of leaning that way.

13. s-glide76

s-glide76 Member

15 Victory CCT, 15 Triumph Scrambler, 97 Electra Glide, 76 Superglide, 06 Kaw KLR 650..
    I put an elite 4, rear tire only, still have the original elite 3 front on my 2015 CCT about 3,000 miles ago. It's handles great on both dry and wet pavement. I am a little leery about going to the Elite 4 on the front due to the tread pattern and previous experience driving on grooved roads with similar tread patterns.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Oldman47

Oldman47 Well-Known Member

2013 black Vision
    13k miles on my Vision with the replacement E3s on it. The rear is one of the newer E3 MT.

Rear
    [​IMG]

Front
    [​IMG]

The dusty strips down the center is where I rolled the bike around in the driveway because I needed to move the cars away from the street because the street was being seal coated today.

15. Jeb27

Jeb27 Well-Known Member

Victory Vision 2014
    The front tire, for me, is only squirrely on iron bridge grates. How much time do you spend there or on grooved pavement?