Dunlop E4 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Dunlop E4

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by ledzep, Mar 27, 2021.

1. ledzep

ledzep Active Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2011 cross roads, victory fairing, 2" pullback bars, Lloyds drop in cams, timing wheel, IAC idle valve, lloyds exhuast gaskets, D and D pipes, 1/4 turn throttle ring, Barnette push and pull stainless throttle cables, PCV tuned by Klye KMC 120hp, 118 ft lb
    2nd set of E4's, the 1st set was fine but this set now with about 6k on them chirps 1st gear almost every time, any quick braking at all even at say 15 miles an hour, howl. And seem slippery when road is a little wet. Dont realy feel safe with them but have alot of tread left. 38front and 42rear psi. I have done all maintenance it ever needs anytime it needs it without hesitation. Had the bike since new so I know it very well. 11 CR 53k miles. Anyone have any thoughts? The older I get, the slower I seem to ride, dont think its my riding style.

2. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Rear PSI seems high to me.

Your comfort is most important. Changing tires is small price to pay for confidence in your ride.
    If the old set felt fine though I'd check everything else first.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. lou8700

lou8700 Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Roads, 2014 Honda Valkyrie
    Check the date code on the tires to see if they are possible old stock and slightly hard. Might be time for a set of Avon Cobra's.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. ledzep

ledzep Active Member

2011 cross roads, victory fairing, 2" pullback bars, Lloyds drop in cams, timing wheel, IAC idle valve, lloyds exhuast gaskets, D and D pipes, 1/4 turn throttle ring, Barnette push and pull stainless throttle cables, PCV tuned by Klye KMC 120hp, 118 ft lb
    I believe that is the psi spec from Victory but the rear being high is a good thought. I may try lowering it to 35 and see what it feels like. As for the date code, I did check it when the tire arrived. From what I remember it was only 3 months old, bought from Witchdoctors.

5. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I recently installed an E4 on the rear. In the city and on the HW it's okay. Get out into the country and some of the asphalt out there is like riding on ice.

If you're looking for wet traction, I second Lou's Avon Cobra Chrome recommendation. You're not likely to get 15k out of a rear CC but I'll put a bald Avon CC up against an E4 .

P.S your good @ your psi. Don't lower it, it could/will cause a blowout!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IndyVictory

IndyVictory Well-Known Member

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
    42 is the max for the E4.
    Don't go down to 35 that's crazy.
    My XCT recommends 40 psi. That's what I've run on my last 3 bikes easy to remember.

Rule out other things like the shock?

Increased noise could be rubber getting hard from age.

• Like Like x 1
  7. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Just ordered a new rear Cobra Chrome for my Xc.
    Dennis Kirk this time had the best price shipped $216. When the Magnum is ready for shows I’m going Avon Cobra. It’s wet enough in Florida a lot..... why take chances.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. skipbarberman

skipbarberman Active Member

Hammer
    Have the bike apart, traveling for work this past week. Hoping to get the new Metzeler Cruistec's finished in the next few days. Can already tell these tires will be WAY better than the stock E3/E4s. Shame too, the E3s have 70% tread, but date codes from the beginning of 2015/ end 2014 on the E3s when I bought it. Apparently, it sat a lot over the last few years. Fun fact: The 260Metz rear weighs 18.8 lbs, E3 was 21.6.

I have run Avon tires on other bikes in the past and did like them, but I'm willing to bet these Cruistecs are going to be a 'game changer'.

260/40 -18 rear for the Hammer; $199 at 2wheel. Dunlop/Avon, a LOT more.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lesterlw

lesterlw Active Member

2013XCT
    40 rear and 38 PSI in the front and if it drops down to 38 rear between pressure checks you are still good.I tried running higher pressure for a while because of advice on this forum but all it does is make you lose grip and comfort.My experience the E4 is a smooth,quiet and long lasting tire but not so great when pressure is too high.The front E4 can definitely be tricky on tar snakes and especially steel grate bridges but you learn to compensate.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    Just ran on wet roads yesterday, twisties, for first time with my new E4'S. I loved them. Still hitting twisties at higher speed and felt totally confident.
    The rain pelting my face from 20mph winds hitting me directly off my left was a *****, but tires held fine.
    NM roads get slippery when wet because they rarely get rained on. I use 40/42. C2'S was 38/42 but E4'S want 40 up front.
    First 100 miles a bit squirrelly up front and went back to 38. Then back to 40 and great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. lesterlw

lesterlw Active Member

2013XCT
    Interesting comment BrotherWind you are on a Vision and i am on an XCT so maybe not exact comparison.I am using an Intercomp liquid filled gauge which cost me $50 a few years back when I decided to get serious about tire pressure because of the high cost of motorcycle tires.Right now due to a flat rear E4 I am running a Shinko on back and finishing an E4 on the front and that is not a great combo but i will see how long the Shinko lasts and likely gat a new set of E4s after that.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Bikesofbrads

Bikesofbrads Well-Known Member

2015 victory cct & 06 katana
    @ledzep Do you ride solo or 2 up and loaded? I’ve found 38-39 psi rear E4’s on an xct to be the most consistent feel from wet to dry running solo or 2 up. I do bump it up to 40 if going to load the bike down heavily but the front E4 always stays on 38 psi. Did you scrub the tires in before pushing on them? Proper scrub in makes a huge diff

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ledzep

ledzep Active Member

I ride solo about 85% of the time @38 psi front and 42psi rear. Shock is usually at 10 psi, I dont like to put to much air in the shock because i only weigh 160, and don't need it. I ride at 40° and up and take to work almost every day and ride about 7k a year. Never had and issue with my previous set od E4's. Got 53k miles now. The rear is just not confident feeling like it used to be. I've been a mechanic all my life and always do my own work. Check out bike all the time especially when tires are off. Bearings are fine, shock seems fine, belt is proper adjustment etc...maybe just have a **** tire?

• Like Like x 1
  14. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    Really starting to sound like a compound change by Dunflop.

I was able to ride route A in the rain and it was pretty good. But just like the E3, you hit some asphalt and it breaks loose just over 2k feeding about 10% throttle.

It was warm enough for the wife to ride last week (1st time on this tire)...felt like the rear tire was down 5-10lbs? It was her 1st ride of the season, maybe she was doing something different?

• Like Like x 1
  15. BrotherWind

BrotherWind Well-Known Member

Vision tour 10th anniversary. #90
    Yes they're are different beasts. Are you using the touring, radial E4, or did you get the cruiser, bias, E4?
    Just curious. I've read some prefer the cruiser over touring buy they're significantly different. Including weight capacity.
    Bummer I lost my shock yesterday hoping it was a my rear tire. Quite a snap when accelerating in a twist. Always something.

• Useful Useful x 2