Dunlop E4 Mileage | Page 3 | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Dunlop E4 Mileage

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by rdeerx, Jun 12, 2019.

1. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    I was kind of forced into an E4 by strange circumstances, which (short version) involved a flat 50 miles into a week long trip, and time constraints. It's not a complaint, I was very happy to get the situation fixed and in record time, not to mention on a Sunday. Cudos to Noe!!

But, now that I've logged some miles with the tire and in some different situations, I can talk about it.

The tire is smooth running and tracks great. My bike feels very solid and runs on a rail. But.....I can break it loose a lot easier, and while in a turn than the Cobras I had. Once you get onto the edge where the 'softer' material is, it seems ok, but I'm not feeling all that warm and fuzzy about the center material. I'm sure I'll get more miles, but It seems I'm going to have to factor this into my riding.

Now, just prior to the tire change, I did get cammed and tuned, but I am not applying this power advantage to the bike in the circumstances talked about above. I think I might go back to the Excedra Max once I'm done with this tire. When I was running those, they seemed to do it all very well.

2. MagVic CCT

MagVic CCT Well-Known Member

2000 Nomad : 2012 Victory CCT
    This is my wife's mission in life......to keep the pressure consistent (and constant).

• Like Like x 1
  3. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    The best I have ever done on any set of tires was 22k on a set of e4's. I do wear my tires down further than most and the sides were bald. My fronts always look worse than the rears.

I am a bit of the oddball here, but I like the Dunlops. Last summer I got a good deal on 6 Cobra's, still have two left on one of my Visions. The other has e4's, if I was to run a competition with one, I would choose the one with the e4's.

In a competition last fall while riding in the rain I had the Cobras slide out from under me in a tight turn. I had been practicing on Dunlops before in the rain and they were holding. It was a mistake to make the switch. I am also able to wear the sides off the Cobras in less than a 1000 miles. Currently I am running Shinkos and they seem to be working quite well as they hold better on slick surfaces and cost considerably less.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Huh.... huh...you said Slick .........
    Just don’t tell me all you use is Vic oil.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. vindex1963

vindex1963 Administrator Staff Member

2015 Cross Country...2006 Triumph Rocket 3
    I stand corrected, you're right.

6. 40caliber

40caliber Active Member

2014 Tequila gold with flames, 2016 Indian roadmaster
    I was out in colorado last year. Tar snakes drove me nuts, kept sliding on them up on Mesa Verde road. i did hit a lot of rain on the way back and they seemed to stay the course. i couldn't even see where i was riding but the tires stayed true.

7. Victorya

Victorya Member

2016 XCT, 2011 XC, 2004 Vegas
    Response from Dunlop

Hi,
    We appreciate your contact and interest in Dunlop. Long story short, we still produce the Elite 3 exclusively for Victory / Polaris and is the official recommendation. As a result the Elite 4 was never approved by Victory before going out of business. However, based on rider feedback the Elite 4 is a popular choice amongst CCT riders, all reports are very positive.
    Hope this helps – ride safe!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. racky

racky Well-Known Member

rylan suggested I replace my rear E-3, with new E-4, it had 9964 miles but maybe another 1K left on it , the front still has a little less than 1/8 tread on it so , ill replace it in 1-2 K miles, looking forward to seeing how the E-4's do in the rain...(not much of it here in AZ., but when I ride up north you get it now & then)...and the ride back from Rylans to AZ, with V413 cams- dyno-Lloydz air,gear,&PC-5, and CFR mufflers....was WAY more fun than before....110hp & 117 tq ...Low & Mid Range "UNREAL"....gets up to 100mph in a blink of an eye. Previous mods were everything above...except V413 cams,....before was 92HP & 112 TQ,,,,,so now 18 more HP & 5 more TQ, but it feels WAY more TORQUEY, and pulls really hard...stock=fun 1st MODS=fun'er 2nd MODS=funnest

• Like Like x 1
  9. Potty

Potty Member

2011 Cross Country
    I'm with you MagVicCCT. I never see those kind of miles out of my tires. I always replace the front with the back. I know I can get more miles out of the front but when you do change it its like buying a new bike so I started replacing them both at the same time.

Just received a new set of E4's. I would have bought another set over the 4's but I wasn't able to find both front and rear.

10. Known1

Known1 Well-Known Member

2013 Cross Country Tour
    Holy crap, I've never seen a tire with the sides wore out like that. Is that mostly from competition riding?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FoFo

FoFo Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Roads
    I recently got 10k miles out of my rear e4 but the tire was bald and about to disintegrate. I rode it past dangerous. Probably should of changed it at 7k. It's impressive the miles some people get. On the front the e4 is now up to almost 12k and still looks pretty good.

12. DSmith

DSmith Active Member

08 Vision, 13 Vision, 01 V92, 12 Triumph Tiger, 12 Can Am Spyder, 11 Polaris Sportsman 850 EFI, 81 Yamaha Maxum
    Yes it is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    If I could stop picking up nails in mine maybe I could figure out what the E4s will give me. The E3s only got me around 10-12k. I like how the E4s ride.

14. rdhog

rdhog Member

2007 Kingpin
    When I bought my 07 Kingpin it had E3 front and Dunlop rear. Thinking rear was replacement tire.
    Anyway at 14000 looking for new tires, now to many of you this is going to be anathama to you, but researching what to mount on my bike next that was adeguate for my riding style and just getting ready to do a 7000 mile cross country trip needed something really versatile.
    Here it comes, settled on Shinko 777 series for front and rear. Wait don't go off on me yet, read on.
    Knew it maybe a risky venture, but they rated well in my research so mounted then and next day was off on my trip.
    Wow, they gripped fantasticly, in rain, hail, tar snakes, pot holes with smart cars in the bottom of them, nothing phased these tires !!!!
    At almost 14,000 miles replaced the rear with another Shinko, front still going strong, expect will probably get another 5000-8000 out of it, and here is the really great part, a set cost me less than $200.
    Now you can go off on me, but keeping the Shinko's regardless......

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. slickvic

slickvic Well-Known Member

2011 Cross Country
    Yes ! Yes ! This is what I’m talking about ! A real review of what most would think is an inadequate tire for the Vic’s. Not so and I agree with you RH. They work ! Your more than satisfied ! And your buying again. Try some Spectro 20/40 semi synthetic!
    I rode 100 plus today in this nasty a$$ heT wave in Florida with 110 index and 500% humidity!!! Lol
    (On the coast I could stand it). My motor purred and shifted like it was new. So Fukien hot here right now with that African dust BS and what ever. Avon tires and Golden Spectro and daddy’s bike runs all day long !

• Like Like x 1