VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my new Dunlop E4 front put on today. Checked my records and found that I got exactly 19,775 miles out of the old one. I could have pushed it beyond the 20K mark but why chance it. Rubber is easier than skin to replace. Thx to Dunlop for building a great tire. I did the math three times on my phone calculator to make sure. I was also running Ride On balancer / sealant and it was just like their videos show.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had some put on 2 weeks ago. I hope to get that kind of mileage out of mine. With my old E3's I got right at 15k and it was really time for replacement. So far the only complaint I have is the E4's are loud on rough pavement. I spend most of my time on rural oil and chip roads and can hear when i hit a rough patch.

The tire pressure monitor on my bike is best upgrade I have made. Tires are crazy expensive.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've got a few thousand on my E4's and so far so good (VV). I do not hear them on the crappy pavement I run on in NW WI,...but I wear ear plugs and a full face helmet too. FWIW. Hoping for the best in terms of mileage and secure handling - I used to put Michelin Pilots on my Honda ST1300 and LOVED those, although they DID cup pretty early, but am sticking to OEM specs on this heavy beast.

Reactions: J.Wales

·
Registered
396 Posts
Both E3's that I had on a Gold Wing and my XCT cupped badly. Sounds like
You might have the problem licked with Ride-on. Wondering if any one else can
Chime in with their experience with E3 front tire and Ride-on?
Jim

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got ~23,000 miles out of my original E3. I run at 41 PSI with a monitor. Fantastic tire. Could have gotten 25K out of it, but why push it?

I recently replaced it with the new E4. Interesting that the new E4 runs about 4 degrees hotter than the E3 (according to my monitor).

Tire pressure is EVERYTHING to tire life.

·
Super Moderator
26,107 Posts
I got ~23,000 miles out of my original E3. I run at 41 PSI with a monitor. Fantastic tire. Could have gotten 25K out of it, but why push it?

I recently replaced it with the new E4. Interesting that the new E4 runs about 4 degrees hotter than the E3 (according to my monitor).

That's twice as much as I got on my E3s. I'm hoping my E4s give me better milage.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a rear E4 with the inside to outside style plug in it with really low miles on it waiting while I wear out its Metz replacement with a rope plug and the Ride On that was put in after the fact. I'll put Ride On in it too.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Which tire pressure monitor are you using and would you recommend?

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have E4s front and rear and have approx 10k on them. P.O. put them on new when I purchased bike.

Can anyone tell me how to check the wear of the tire? I keep hearing/reading that E4 is different wear bars than normal tires. Couldn’t find a definitive answer online.

Any advice? Pics?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have E4s front and rear and have approx 10k on them. P.O. put them on new when I purchased bike.

Can anyone tell me how to check the wear of the tire? I keep hearing/reading that E4 is different wear bars than normal tires. Couldn't find a definitive answer online.

Any advice? Pics?
This Dunlop Elite 4 Tires - First Look | High-mileage rubber says it has "innovative repeating 1/32-inch deep "dot" depression". They're circles at the end of the treads like in this picture:

When the circles disappear, the tire's done.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reactions: Oldman47
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.