VOG Forum banner

Due for an oil change...

3K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  Chattanooga_Mark 
#1 ·
Anyone ever use or recommend this oil ? I want to use a full synthetic. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_V-Twin_20W-50.aspx I guess along with a k&n oil filter (kn-198)?

#2 ·
I asked the same question of a well known Vic engine expert. He advised against it because it's too good. By that he meant that Mobil 1 and the other full synthics are too slippery. A certain amount of friction is needed for all the bearings to work properly. There are different types of bearings in the engine. On his advice, I use Rotella oil. And no, he doesn't sell oil or represent the Shell Oil Co.

#3 ·
Putter said:
I asked the same question of a well known Vic engine expert. He advised against it because it's too good. By that he meant that Mobil 1 and the other full synthics are too slippery. A certain amount of friction is needed for all the bearings to work properly. There are different types of bearings in the engine. On his advice, I use Rotella oil. And no, he doesn't sell oil or represent the Shell Oil Co.
Are you using a full synthetic ? I know some people using rotella also... Where to buy it ? I hear people using a 20w50 rather than the recommended 20w40?

#5 ·
Use whatever full or semi synthetic oil you want, just make sure it's JASO-MA rated. Otherwise it could make your clutch plates slip and you could come back complaining that Victory makes crappy bikes because they won't warrant you a new clutch. Don't be one of those who fall victim to owner induced problems trying to out engineer the engineers that designated what type and rating of oil the engine and transmission needs.

#8 ·

Chicago_Mark said:
Use whatever full or semi synthetic oil you want, just make sure it's JASO-MA rated. Otherwise it could make your clutch plates slip and you could come back complaining that Victory makes crappy bikes because they won't warrant you a new clutch. Don't be one of those who fall victim to owner induced problems trying to out engineer the engineers that designated what type and rating of oil the engine and transmission needs.
Hmmm... Well this is a contradiction if I ever seen one... dont try to out engineer the engineers that designated what type (semi-synthetic) but use whatever you want...lol

#9 ·

conn-e-rot said:
Last time I looked at a jug of mobil 1 vtwin 20w50 it was not JASO-MA rated
I never noticed that.. But I did notice it was API SJ and CF rated, so I decided to look that up on api.org

SJ Current For 2001 and older automotive engines.

CF Obsolete OBSOLETE: Introduced in 1994. For off-road, indirect-injected and other diesel engines including those using fuel with
over 0.5% weight sulfur. Can be used in place of CD oils.

Why would it even carry those labels?

#10 ·

conn-e-rot said:
Last time I looked at a jug of mobil 1 vtwin 20w50 it was not JASO-MA rated
Appears to be only API SJ, CF rated
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_V-Twin_20W-50.aspx

#11 ·

I too use the Mobil one synthetic Vtwin engineered 20/50 motor oil. I use mobil one on all my stuff and have had good success with it over the years. I noticed the motor did run cooler right out of the gate, which is a must for me living out here in AZ. On a rare occassion, my Vision will slip just slightly between first and second gear. Some Walmart stores will have it in stock. Runs about 10 bucks/quart. You can pick up the Wix oil filter at Oriellys autoparts for about 9 bucks.

My philosophy is why spend 75 bucks on Victory semi synthetic/oil filter when you can buy the synthetic stuff/oil filter for 60 and save a few bucks in addition to being ableto stretch it a little bit between oil changes vs every 2500 miles. I know with the Victory Vision there were BMW motorcycle engineers involved with the development of the bike. With that being said, the recommended oil for BMW motorcycles is mobil 1. To each is own, but I wouldn't personally use the stuff if I felt it was inferior to the Victory oil.
(Doing CPR on Squirrel).

#13 ·
Is this what I need ?? I have an 07' kingpin 100ci Are all filters the same mo matter what year ?? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=180960171988&globalID=EBAY-US Sorry for all this... Decided I am sticking to victory.. Just want to know if this is what I need(correct filter part number)?

#14 ·

Vladezip said:
I too use the Mobil one synthetic Vtwin engineered 20/50 motor oil. I use mobil one on all my stuff and have had good success with it over the years. I noticed the motor did run cooler right out of the gate, which is a must for me living out here in AZ. On a rare occassion, my Vision will slip just slightly between first and second gear. Some Walmart stores will have it in stock. Runs about 10 bucks/quart. You can pick up the Wix oil filter at Oriellys autoparts for about 9 bucks.

My philosophy is why spend 75 bucks on Victory semi synthetic/oil filter when you can buy the synthetic stuff/oil filter for 60 and save a few bucks in addition to being ableto stretch it a little bit between oil changes vs every 2500 miles. I know with the Victory Vision there were BMW motorcycle engineers involved with the development of the bike. With that being said, the recommended oil for BMW motorcycles is mobil 1. To each is own, but I wouldn't personally use the stuff if I felt it was inferior to the Victory oil.
(Doing CPR on Squirrel).
OMG...

First I buy the kit for under $70.00
Second do you really believe it is superior if it is causing your clutch to slip???? Even slightly?

REALLY????

Thirdly...Oh and which BMW engineers had anything to do with the drive train on the Vision? I find that odd since the drive train was already around long before the Vision was designed.

Fourth BMW recommends Castrol 1, not Mobil 1 in their bikes. Castrol Power 1 Racing to be exact.

Oh, and I went through 6 different models on BMW website to be sure I wasnt mistaken.

#15 ·

yankphan said:
Is this what I need ?? I have an 07' kingpin 100ci Are all filters the same mo matter what year ?? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=180960171988&globalID=EBAY-US Sorry for all this... Decided I am sticking to victory.. Just want to know if this is what I need(correct filter part number)?
That will work but you are getting a quart and a half extra since your bike take 4.5 quarts. It's about $8-10.00 cheaper for the 4.5 quart kit.

#16 ·
dsjr70 said:
Hmmm... Well this is a contradiction if I ever seen one... dont try to out engineer the engineers that designated what type (semi-synthetic) but use whatever you want...lol
What part of "use whatever full or semi-synthetic oil you want, just make sure it's JASO-MA rated" are you having trouble with? Victory semi synthetic isn't the only JASO-MA rated oil, there are others like Shell Rotella.

#17 ·

dsjr70 said:
OMG...

First I buy the kit for under $70.00
Second do you really believe it is superior if it is causing your clutch to slip???? Even slightly?

REALLY????

Thirdly...Oh and which BMW engineers had anything to do with the drive train on the Vision? I find that odd since the drive train was already around long before the Vision was designed.

Fourth BMW recommends Castrol 1, not Mobil 1 in their bikes. Castrol Power 1 Racing to be exact.

Oh, and I went through 6 different models on BMW website to be sure I wasnt mistaken.
I usually have a policy to never comment on the oil threads, but I about fell over when I read the post that you quoted in this response. I guess this is perfect testament to that one commercial with the "French model" and not believing everything you read on the internet.
"Uhhhh, Bonjour!"

#18 ·

Chicago_Mark said:
Chicago_Mark said:
What part of "use whatever full or semi-synthetic oil you want, just make sure it's JASO-MA rated" are you having trouble with? Victory semi synthetic isn't the only JASO-MA rated oil, there are others like Shell Rotella.
Victory engineers worked very hard with Lubetech to come up with the blend they felt best for our bikes. Their final conclusion was that a semi-synthetic worked best for our clutch application. So you are in fact recommending we out-engineer the engineers.....That is what I find a contradiction...

#20 ·
..religion...politics...tires...buffeting, and oil...topics guarantee to spawn spirited discourse...

#21 ·
I'll type slower so hopefully everyone can understand this time. I said "don't be one of those who fall victim to owner induced problems trying to out engineer the engineers that designated what type and rating of oil the engine and transmission need". Like I said, use any JASO-MA rated oil you like to, just ensure you use what the engineers designated the engine and transmission need, ie: a JASO-MA rated oil. Seems so simple when I type and read slowly but you have to read each and every word. They all mean so much and are all so very precious..

#22 ·

Chicago_Mark said:
I'll type slower so hopefully everyone can understand this time. I said "don't be one of those who fall victim to owner induced problems trying to out engineer the engineers that designated what type and rating of oil the engine and transmission need".
Like I said, use any JASO-MA rated oil you like to, just ensure you use what the engineers designated the engine and transmission need, ie: a JASO-MA rated oil. Seems so simple when I type and read slowly but you have to read each and every word. They all mean so much and are all so very precious..
Mark,
I think everyone gets that you are comparing the oils based on them both meeting JASO-MA rating, but how are you making the argument that a FULL synthetic and SEMI-synthetic are the same? Victory engineering calls for a SEMI-synthetic oil....how is using a full synthetic oil not "out-engineering the engineers" when they say to use a semi-synthetic? You split one hair (using the word "rating") to make your argument but ignored the second piece of the argument.
Personally, I don't care what anyone uses...hell, use cooking oil for all I care, but I think we can agree that you are talking about one issue and dsjr is talking about a completely different topic.
BTW, I appreciated you typing slow, it helped me read!

#23 ·
phoenix9 said:
Mark,
I think everyone gets that you are comparing the oils based on them both meeting JASO-MA rating, but how are you making the argument that a FULL synthetic and SEMI-synthetic are the same? Victory engineering calls for a SEMI-synthetic oil....how is using a full synthetic oil not "out-engineering the engineers" when they say to use a semi-synthetic? You split one hair (using the word "rating") to make your argument but ignored the second piece of the argument.
Personally, I don't care what anyone uses...hell, use cooking oil for all I care, but I think we can agree that you are talking about one issue and dsjr is talking about a completely different topic.
BTW, I appreciated you typing slow, it helped me read!
The Shell Rotella at WalMart is full synthetic and it's JASO-MA rated. Valvoline and others make a 10w-40 JASO-MA rated oil. No problem, the rating is what matters, not that it's a full or semi synthetic oil. In my book, trying to out engineer the design engineers is using brand XXXXX simply because you like it or think it's a better oil regardless if it's JASO-MA rated. I used Mobil 1 15w-50 full synthetic in my Moto Guzzis for many, many years. Since the Guzzi has a dry clutch, just about any automotive engine oil would work fine. I'm no oil expert but I think the JASO-MA rating the Victory engineers tell us to use has to do with the additives package and that rating means it won't make the Vic clutch slip. I would never use the same non JASO-MA rated Mobil 1 15w-50 automotive oil I used in my dry clutch Moto Guzzi in my wet clutch Victory. If I'm wrong and the JASO-MA rating doesn't mean Jack, Diddley or Squat, please let me know as I don't want to be ignorant on these things.

#24 ·
yankphan said:
Are you using a full synthetic ? I know some people using rotella also... Where to buy it ? I hear people using a 20w50 rather than the recommended 20w40?
I use the T3, it's Dino oil. This is different for me. I use full syn on my cars and used it on my previous bike and the Hammer before my conversation with the expert. I get the Rotella at Walmart or an auto supply store, $13-$17. I also use the reusable KP filter. It's all worked fine for me; good gas mileage, good power and no clutch problems. I also use Top Teir gas whenever possible. I believe more important that which oil is: change it at least once a year (twice if you Dino) and let the oil warm up before you go blasting down the road. Engines are complex devices that are prone to problems if not treated respectfully.

#25 ·

I have a lot of money in this engine. I use Amsoil 10W-40 MC because I want it to wear as little as possible and have the best cold start/oil adhesion possible. I don't 'need' friction.

If using a good synthetic motorcycle oil is making your clutch slip, the problem is the weak clutch spring. I would upgrade the clutch rather than downgrade my oil to suit my sh!tty clutch, but hey, it's your bike.

#26 ·
Half_Crazy said:
I have a lot of money in this engine. I use Amsoil 10W-40 MC because I want it to wear as little as possible and have the best cold start/oil adhesion possible. I don't 'need' friction.

If using a good synthetic motorcycle oil is making your clutch slip, the problem is the weak clutch spring. I would upgrade the clutch rather than downgrade my oil to suit my sh!tty clutch, but hey, it's your bike.
Thanks man.... By the way.. The tires you recommended are getting put on today... Lets not go there now !! Look what happened to this oil thread.... Didn't think it could be worse then the tire thread I started ! Anyhow, thanks for your help cra?y

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.