VOG Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried Lloyd'z already, they said they made one a long time ago for one of their bikes.

VicVisionBulldog - I get some belt noise, I can quiet it down by lubing it but I live on a dirt road and it gets dirty. I get a little worried about little stones getting in the belt as well.

·
Super Moderator
26,107 Posts
We have a member here that has a ton of Iron Butts completed. He took his Vision places a Vision was never intended for. He had a run flat snow tire on the back and a knobby one on the front.

I grabbed this pic off one of his post. It's of the belt guard he made for his Vision to protect it on some of his crazy rides. He took his Vision down ATV trails and through off road mountain trails.

His handle is Rollin. Use the search feature and look up "belt guard" and specify post from Rollin to see more about this and the crazy rides he's completed.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
Conquest customs might make you one but the two pulleys might cost over $700 bucks

Victory & Indian Motorcycle Parts | Custom Bikes & Exhausts
With custom adapters front and back I'd figure you could use a common sprocket so gearing would be entirely up to the owner.
I'd consider changing to a chain just because if you break down on a long trip repairs would most likely be much quicker than trying to find a belt, pulley or two, and a lift.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Two years ago I was at Indian of Charlotte with my CCT on their dyno for an adjustment. The Lloyds dyno technician said there’s no reason for a chain conversion. None, not worth even considering it for a road bike. They built massive HP Victory motors with turbos, super chargers and big bore kits etc. They repeatedly tried to break the oem belt with zero results. ‘Lubing” the belt to quiet it down is one of the worst approaches anyone could take. Everything in writing, Owners Manual and Service Manual say not to do this. No belt dressing, no lube, no soap etc etc etc.

A ‘noisy’ belt is caused by too high a belt tension, poor belt alignment and/or a worn/warped rear pulley. Very rarely a worn front oem pulley. Period. Correct the foundational basics of the belt drive, leave the belt dry and you’ll be fine.

My CCT belt, in 85K miles made noise once. When the technician ‘adjusted’ my belt after a rear tire replacement. I always tell them to add DO NOT ADJUST THE BELT to the work order. I went directly back to the dealer and asked them to adjust it to the loose end of the spec. It was fine after that. I’ve also never in those 85K miles cleaned the belt. I gets clean enough when I ride in the rain.

Way too many over think the basics of a belt drive system and cause more issues than they’d ever cure by avoiding the basics of belt tension and alignment.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've ridden with belt drives since 1980 when H-D came out with the FXB, the front was a problem but the rear, never. Never broke one.
Rode a '96 softail 30k with a hole punched through the center just to see what would happen. If it were me I'd keep the belt and maybe do the guard mod.
Too many Harleys and Vics have ridden places that could kill a belt for me to even think about going to a chain.
The only reason I might is if I were going to race it and wanted to be able to change the gearing.
Check out Trask and TCbros.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.