VOG Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I've searched.
I see a lot of talk about when, if etc. to replace belts but can't find a step by step "how to" discussion.
It seems to me the exhaust has to come off or at least be loosened to get the front cover off to access the belt. I'm sure I can figure it out eventually but some experienced guidance would be helpful.
I'm one of those people who, since I was a kid, can take anything apart. I just have trouble putting things back together.
By the way, I have a service manual and I can't find anything on replacing the belt. There's stuff about inspection, cleaning,analysis, adjustment, tensioning etc. but no replacing info.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
service manual should tell you.
pull exhaust pull saddle bag. pull front pulley cover. loosen axle and adjusters. Push wheel all the way forward. slid belt over swing arm and onto front pulley. Now over rear pulley. readjust axle adjusters.
By the way if your belt is not broken leave it alone. Belt should be good for 80 thousand miles

·
Banned
9,422 Posts
...there is also a special tool to put the required amount of tension on the belt that is model specific for the correct deflection that you will most likely need

·
Registered
151 Posts
i think it has to be like your tires. If your bike has 10,000 miles and its 10 years old im not sure id aim for that 80,000 mark. I think thats partly behind vics recommendation of 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
service manual should tell you.
pull exhaust pull saddle bag. pull front pulley cover. loosen axle and adjusters. Push wheel all the way forward. slid belt over swing arm and onto front pulley. Now over rear pulley. readjust axle adjusters.
By the way if your belt is not broken leave it alone. Belt should be good for 80 thousand miles
I have 126 thousand miles. Belt still passes inspection. Just want to understand the procedure for replacement. I have not been able to find the directions in the service manual.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
I replaced mine at 80,000 miles because a stone punctured thru it. Had to take both mufflers off, take bracket bolts out of crossover tube area, separate the exhaust connection in front of the crossover tube to take then rear pipe off, loosen the front pipe to swivel out of the way. I also had to remove rear passenger peg bracket to remove belt. I pulled the bottom shock strut bolt out to drop the swingarm to slacken the belt so I didn't have to loosen the adjusters. Just needed to fine tune adjusters with new belt. I didn't replace the head pipe gaskets but probably a good idea to. The rear pulley had the surface metal flaking off the teeth so I replaced it also. I bought a used belt and pulley off a late model salvage bike I found on ebay with super low mileage. Mine had a lot of rocks, tar and debris behind the front pulley laying in case recesses that I cleaned out real well. Ya, you'll be cussen some but just be thankful it's not nearly as bad as a Harley.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts