VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.
I just ordered a Penske shock for my 2014 Cross Country Tour.
I was curious if the shock raises the bike any higher than the stock shock. I'm asking, because I have a 30" inseem, and the bike is already high enough, and any higher, and I may need to order a lowering link.
I ordered the Penske, rated (>300 lbs.) 30 pounds more than my weight, but I ride 2 up on the weekends, so I figured it may be worth the extra strength.
Thanks for any input. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If you ordered the stock height shock, it won't affect the ride height.

Reactions: DarlngDave

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe they have just one shock available, with different springs, depending on weight. I guess it SHOULD be the same height.
Hopefully, it doesn't vary. Just trying to get my ducks in a row, before installation. Would rather have a lowering link ready, if it's needed.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Correct. On the cross bikes there is one option. On the steel framed bikes there were two lengths (for standard and low bikes). If you're wanting it lower, you'll need a lowering link.

Reactions: DarlngDave

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, very much. I think it's fine, as is. Sometimes, I wonder if I should lower it an inch or so, but with the wife on the back, it's low enough.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Lowering your bike an inch won't hurt anything riding two up mine is lowered 1.5 inches and i ride two up with no problems at all. If it makes you more sure footed when you stop I would do it. You sure don't want to drop your bike with you lady with you.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
@DarlngDave ,

If it's set up at a riders weight what do you do when you load up bags and throw on a passenger? 30lbs isn't enough buffer right?

• Haha
Reactions: Redrider

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If it's set up at a riders weight what do you do when you load up bags and throw on a passenger? 30lbs isn't enough buffer right?
The Penske shock has an adjustable preload that you can adjust when adding a passenger and gear.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The Penske shock has an adjustable preload that you can adjust when adding a passenger and gear.
Can that be accessed easily on the XC?

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Hello, all.
I was curious if the shock raises the bike any higher than the stock shock. I'm asking, because I have a 30" inseem, and the bike is already high enough, and any higher, and I may need to order a lowering link.
I ordered the Penske, rated (>300 lbs.) 30 pounds more than my weight, but I ride 2 up on the weekends, so I figured it may be worth the extra strength.
Why are you replacing? Did the old one fail,(how many miles?) or did you have $800 burning a hole in your pocket?

Reactions: Wild Bill

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yeah, the 30 pounds difference shouldn't be of any concern, other than a stiffer ride when solo, I suppose. I doubt it'll be very easy to change the setting every weekend, back and forth, so the added strength is warranted.
My stock shock seems ok, for the most part. It does lose some air, fairly regularly. Easy enough to add the air, but certainly don't want to chance being out somewhere, and have it go bad, leaking oil, and not holding any air. Seems like the stock shock, going bad, is fairly common.
Only about 12,000 miles on it (last couple years were bad riding seasons for me).
I'm pretty much just looking for something to upgrade on the bike, and the suspension is really the only thing left. I have all the doo-dads I want (which is a LOT), and had Lloydz install cams, etc..., so this is the next logical step for me.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
the hammer S Penske i got for my 13 hammer was slightly longer as discussed with Penske tech, it rides great even on a Jack Hammer + the 240 night dragon helps as well. Wayyyyy better than stock + well worth it for me. i remember seeing an external remote adjuster for Penske shock of course xtra $$

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just installed a Penske shock on my 2013 vegas. I did some comprehensive measuring before I took the old shock off. Now, I know my bike is a steel framed bike, but I think the shock will be similar, just maybe a different length.

My bike has the 3” shock, As specified in the owners manual. Some bikes have a 4 inch shock.

So, I measured the length of the old shock after I removed it, and the new shock before I installed it. The Penske shock was a half inch longer than the stock shock. The Penske is set up spring wise, for your weight, and your bike.

If you adjust the spring tension, you adjust the ride height. But, you can also adjust the ride height by extending or retracting the lower fork fitting. There is a limitation on extending the fitting. You can't go over .47'” as defined in the manual that comes with the Penske shock.

The reason for that is they don't want you extending it so far that there are very few threads left in the body of the shock.

Now, on my bike, the stock ride height, with the original shock was 4 3/4” high, measured with the rider on the bike with gear on, and measured from the ground to the bottom of the frame, on the right side of the bike.

My Penske shock, as set up by Scott at Conquest Customs, was also giving me a 4 3/4 inch ride height. To get the bike to give me a softer ride, I backed off on the spring compression a total of 4 turns. This dropped the ride height to about 4 1/2 inches, as far as I can tell. So, when I get time, I will most likely Extend the bottom clevis fitting a bit more, if I can, to bring my ride height back up to 4 3/4, as that is what I prefer.

I know it's apples and oranges comparing our two bikes, but I hope this will help you out with the general idea. I also compared the sag settings, even though setting sag on a victory really isn't feasible as far as I can see.

Scott at Conquest Customs is a wonderful help in advising you on how to set up the shock too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just had the Penske shock installed on my 2011 XC. Last year every ride was jamming my teeth and spine. After the install, took it out for a 100 mile ride and it was unbelievable. Better than new. Now I want to explore getting the front done. Currently 85,000kms (about 45,000mi) Been off this site for awhile pouting about Polaris, now I find there is still a lot of activity and I'm happy again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, all.
I currently run that same shock on my 2016 cross country - i ordered mine rated for 400 lbs because i carry some gear and ride two up as well (you can adjust the setting on the shock fairly easily to see what you like once you get it (as long as you know what you're doing) not sure if you are installing it yourself or having someone do it, but to me it FELT like it was riding a bit higher after i put it in... it's really not though...my wife still kicks the saddlebag in the same old spot everytime she swings her leg over to get on. you are going to love that shock - i know i do (and I DONT work for Penske - or since safer at home, anyone else for that matter) Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
if you order from Penske directly your shock is built to order! it even smootherd my 13 hammers ride along with better riding pirelli night dragon tyres, 240 out back insead of the dunrock 250 for a sportier ride! thinkin about selling my 10 mile Hammer as 73 YO is next week + bring a smaller guy its a lotta bike for me even though easier to ride than my traded 2006 porkster IMO. as noted "BUILT to order" you spec the shock length that affects ride height

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.