VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of a couple of dogs that ride on full dresser Harley's...and I think it's pretty awesome....

Anyone ride with their dog?

Oddly, the dogs that i've seen have no harness or anything...they just sit on the back seat. Seems cool, but also scary... if you have to take a dive or stop quick what happens to the dog?

Someone suggested a sidecar...but I don't think that's my thing. I'd have a dog TODAY...but my wife would be less then happy to give up her spot....

:)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Thought about buying a side car a few years back so my "second son" could ride with me..even looked at buying a Ural with side car or Royal Enfield? The more I looked the more I realized he wouldn't be able to get in by himself and sit with his legs down in the compartment for them, would have had to build the car special..too much $ and all too soon I had to put him down. He loved car rides and always was out on the driveway when I worked on or cleaned the old bike.

He was 167 lbs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have two Goldens (pics in gallery) and I wouldn't think of letting them ride- sidecar or otherwise- any more than I'd let my kids ride in the back of an open pickup.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I remember from the 70s "Cookie" the wonder dog used to race in the desert on the tank of his masters Husky (the bike not the dog) he would grip the tank that was wrapped in carpet. Yes he would race the whole baja. He was even featured in the movie (my favorite movie) "On Any Sunday"

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with the masses on this one.

Personally, I think it's cruel to place a dog on a motorcycle or on the back of a pickup truck. In the case of a quick stop or an evasive maneuver, you'll most likely be saying goodbye to "Man's Best Friend."

Yes, I have Dogs in my family. I've always had Dogs in my house and I hope I always will. I treat them with respect and dignity. They treat me in the same manner.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
At least in the last picture with the trailer, he dog cant go flying across the interstate if a mini van cuts you off. Its well ventilated and looks like its padded inside.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have always had LARGE dogs so taking them on bike was not an issue.

Some dogs take to riding others don't. I used to leave have to leave Emma at home while at work and off on rides. Fortunatley I found her a great home on a 300 acre Peach Orchard with 5 other dogs. Best thing I ever did for her.

I actually sold Roxanne an jacket that she make riding gear for Diesel. He was an abandoned pup left at a gas station in the middle of no where that ran over to her and jumped on her bike!

When in college, there was a guy that had a PARROT and a perch on his gas tank the he rode with his bird!

I do agree that not all dogs are suited for riding with. The do make crates for dogs you can buy specifically for that purpose.

My dogs have always LOVED trucks. You put them in the cab without a seat belt they will get launched just the same. I think of putting your dog on your bike, if the dog will sit still and not freak, the same as carrying a passenger. You have to be responsible.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
The one thing about a parrot is the fact that if you start to go down , they will fly away.(damn selfish birds lol) where a dog doesnt have a whole lot of options.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts

Before I bought my 07 Triumph our Boxer Ruby loved to ride in my open jeep. The harness she is wearing is designed to act as a canine seat belt.
I really want to get her a side car I know she would love it

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Trekwolf164 said:

Before I bought my 07 Triumph our Boxer Ruby loved to ride in my open jeep. The harness she is wearing is designed to act as a canine seat belt.
I really want to get her a side car I know she would love it
Great Photo! And yes, it's Dog Friendly!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a Road Hound pet carrier. It is secured to my Road King using the docking hardware that is also used for a tour pack. It is made from the same material as golf club heads. It is very sturdy and I believe the safest way to transport a pet on a motorcycle. The only problem is that my little guy does not appear to enjoy it. He seems scared. He loves riding in the convertible with the top down. It might be the noise. I am selling the Road King and not going to fit the Kingpin for the carrier. It is for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
814 Posts

A little off topic but seeing as how parrots were mentioned it reminded me of an old freind of mine who had a rooster (named Elvis) that would ride around town in his convertible with him. Was pretty funny.
Another freind of mine owns a Goldwing trike. She had a custom made tent/cage made for her springer spaniel so he could ride as a passenger with her. Looked pretty safe and was well attached to the bike.

·
Registered
181 Posts

My wife and I have a 2 year old ****z-hu that rides on our 09 Vision Tour. My wife has a harness which fits on her chedt (like a backpack except for the front) and the dog sits in it wearing her doggles (you can find them on line).
We have had many drivers slow down to look and a few that took pictures. THe dog loves to ride and often puts her feet on my soulder to see out while we travel

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.