VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought the Vision I was warned that the gloss black panel around the key hole scratches super easily and that I shouild use just the key by itself. I disregarded that warning, as I have a nice rubber "Victory" key fob and so I used just that.
It started scratching a circular pattern even just on the ride home (5 miles!), even though it's very soft rubber so since then I've been using the key alone. Has anyone found a fob of any kind that doesn't scratch that panel?

·
Registered
10 Posts

This doesnt look good, but i use something like this to make sure i dont lose my keys and it doesnt scratch.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/KEYCHAIN-WRIST-COIL/32508959?action=product_interest&action_type=image&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=84055630278&category=0%3A5438%3A426265%3A1032639&client_guid=c0faee88-19d8-418b-9658-8044b4e90651&config_id=0&parent_item_id=32845726&guid=29e63b2d-5e7d-4488-a097-c42cb4c18e5c&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

·
Registered
6,181 Posts

I also noticed a pattern forming early on from a very soft fob. I now have a Digital Guard Dog dawg tag attached, but it is on a short leash and I tuck it in next to the key rather than let it float around on my paint. That seems to work but I wish I had seen this warning before I brought my bike home the first time.

·
Registered
473 Posts

I am with Oldman on this one. I have a Judge with the Digital Guard Dawg system and I will probably never have a "keyed" motorcycle again. I just love the convenience of a keyless system. Would be an easy fix to not scratching your tank as well as other benefits.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

I have a custom sword key for my Vision with a quick release so I can take it off my key chain or snap it onto a necklace when touring so I always know where it is. Also have the dash panel covered with carbon fiber film that's pretty much scratch proof.

·
Registered
433 Posts

No key fob for me, just the key.

·
Super Moderator
26,504 Posts

I use a very small carabiner to clip my key which only has a ring on it to another ring that has my house key and Gaurd Dawg fob. This allows me to unclip the bike key and then clip the rest to my belt loop so my fob is close while I ride. I was putting it in the trunk but after a few times stopping the bike to talk or google something I found it was easier to keep it close since my GuardDawg system kept kicking in.

I might eventually get one of the cast keys but I just have not found the right one for me yet.

·
Registered
343 Posts

No fob, but I have the aluminum console so no issue. But, I use "blackout" flat black film over part of the dash anyway to cut glare and to stop the console reflecting back on my windscreen to blur out the view (or just freakin' annoy me I hate sun glare and glare on the back of my windshield). The blackout film can cover a fob mark, or prevent it. It can also be used in places to reduce sun glare. For the Digital Gaurd Dawg...nice but no thanks it's one more thing to keep track of and one more complication in your electrical dagram. Shark

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The stock "piano gloss black" dash is a double-edged sword. New and undamaged and polished it looks really awesome. But once it get scratched, gah, it really shows. :/
How hard is applying that film you're talking about? (Bubbles, etc.) I have enough trouble getting a screen protector onto a phone without bubbles. :D
And what does it look like?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

conn-e-rot said:
I have the rubber victory key chain and my dash is covered with plati dip no scratches so far in over a year but if it does scratch I'll peel it off and reapply.
Huh, hadn't heard of that stuff until this thread. I'm reading about it on their site now. Interesting product.

·
Registered
346 Posts

I did a couple of things to solve that issue permanently. First I bought a custom key that I now leave in almost place all the time. Unless you know the Vision most people do not even realize it's the key. (The site I bought it from seems to be down, but I'm sure you can find something similar. Downed site starparts.org) Then I bought the Digital Dawg Hands Free Security System. So now when I walk away from my bike no one can start it. Walking to my bike, with the Fob in my pocket I turn on my custom key and start her up. It's plug and play and take about 10 minutes to install.

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/motorcycles/rfid-smart-relays/dgd-4v/product

·
Registered
417 Posts

ByteN2it said:

I have a custom sword key for my Vision with a quick release so I can take it off my key chain or snap it onto a necklace when touring so I always know where it is. Also have the dash panel covered with carbon fiber film that's pretty much scratch proof.
I don't want to sidetrack the tread, but I needed to tell you that's fly as hell. Both the key and the CF film.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Rider, the flat black film is called "Blackout Film" or something like that. Found it at Pep Boys. Comes in a couple sheets. Cut to size; a couple tries if you need it. Supposed to be for blacking out chrome emblems, like your Ford oval or Chevy bowtie, etc. Easy to apply, removable, cheap.Shark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.