VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to move up from a VStar 950 to a bike with touring / 2 up capabilities. I must admit, I have not looked at Vics in the past. Actually, I haven't really looked much at any of the touring class bikes.

Now, I see Visions and CCTs and think they are awesome. In my mind, they are superior to HDs and they are selling around here at a discount to HD.

But..... what about the future of parts a trained mechanics? ( I can wrench the basis but can't diagnose electrical stuff or crack open the engine ). My local dealer ( former Vic dealer ) says Polaris has been good on providing parts all along for other discontinued lines as they sell all types of toys beyond bikes.

So the question: If I buy a 2012-2014 Vic and plan on riding it for 5-10 years what will the future look like for routine maintenance and whatever problem may arise?

If I'm in some far off location 2 years from now and have a problem, will there be local support? My gut tell me the there will be service and parts but I'd like some thought from others.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
I have a 2013 since brand new and it has over 47,000 on it now. It’s been to the dealer exactly twice - once when they took initial delivery, and once for the 500-mile checkup. The only thing it’s needed was fuel, oil, brakes, and grease.

Reactions: KeepRidin!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Simple answer Yes
I was at Uk bike show yesterday and I was looking at the Indians stand and the dealer asked what I thought of the roadmaster I said it’s nice but that had spoilt me with the vision expecting him to give a load of well this is better and that’s better no his reply was yes there great bikesI have 2 and love them then kept chatting about them for 1/2 hour

·
Registered
17,114 Posts
Polaris, especially with motorcycles, is more of an assembler than a manufacturer. Things like engine cases and crankshafts may bet hard to find, but things like fuel pumps and starters are sourced from third party manufacturers, many of which have other automotive applications so they will be available. A mechanic may be harder to find, but probably not. New tires, belt replacement, fork oil service...one doesn’t need to be a Victory specific mechanic to do those things.

It is posssible you have a headache down the road getting something fixed that would be easy if it were another brand. But that’s why you can get such great bikes for such low prices. Save a bunch of money now and maybe have a longer harder time with a repair later, or pay a lot more now for a Harley or Honda that can be repaired anytime anywhere. That’s the two choices as I see it.

• Angry
Reactions: Erich

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Actually thinking about buying a second one, myself.

·
Registered
12,827 Posts
I have 2. A 2011 since new. And just purchased a 2016 X1 Stealth this summer.
Better hurry and get you’re before their all gone !

Reactions: MagVic CCT

·
Registered
403 Posts
Don’t know why people worry about parts you can’t get stuff for modern bikes so it’s same boat .most things can be fixed or made just society has become lazy at looking for answers and a throw away society.

·
Administrator
2,904 Posts
My 2015 Cross Country 53,000 miles in the shop for a brake line recall, that's it. Shift shaft seal popped out also but was an easy fix.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is posssible you have a headache down the road getting something fixed that would be easy if it were another brand. But that's why you can get such great bikes for such low prices. Save a bunch of money now and maybe have a longer harder time with a repair later, or pay a lot more now for a Harley or Honda that can be repaired anytime anywhere. That's the two choices as I see it.
You pretty much laid it out Bob. I'm trying to make the wise choice between A & B. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Your main concern is service should you need it. You don't say where you are so nobody can suggest sources for you which may be right down the road.

If you take the time to get the bike checked out and find a good low-mileage used one with no pre-existing hidden problems it's going to last you the years you are looking for. Hell, even a brand new HD product from a few years ago has been in the shop more times for recalls than mine has been in the shop for repairs. (zero, by the way) On the down side, you will need to get used to the transmission.

If you've been happy with the Yamaha and can get the level of service you're looking for from your existing dealer maybe stick with their offerings.

PS. If a friend of mine was looking for a new bike and had to rely on others for all of the service needs I would not recommend a Polaris product. Especially on a touring bike which implies being far from home a lot. The network is non-existent. Service is easy, parts availability is the problem when you're a thousand miles from home.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hmmm guess none of you have had to buy a none service parts for a Honda then in the Uk my 06 goldwing was a pain even when it was under warranty to get parts not to mention the amount of things it needed so I will stick with my vision thanks.
As for servicing why is this a problem if you can’t do it yourself then any motorcycle technician can work on these as like all classic style v twin motorcycles there simplistically at its best service parts like clutches,brakes,cables,hoses ,tyres ,exhausts,battery’s are all available as aftermarket brands (interchangeably between manufacturers for most parts)plus victory have to supply parts for another 9 years and unless you’re like me most people will have gotten rid of ther bike by then

·
Registered
53 Posts
To answer your question, Really check the bike over...even take a friend familiar with Victory's. If you like/love the bike...go for it! No need to worry about repairs or service, because you have all the fine people here to help guide you if a problem occurs. More than likely, it will not. I 've had them since '03, and really believe they are the best motorcycle out there. I do have a great wrench who gives both of mine the once over every spring, which gives me even greater confidence to fill it...and cruise. I do my own basic maint. myself...oil changes, spark plugs, etc.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Without too many notable exceptions, Victory's have proven themselves to be almost absurdly reliable. From your other post, it looked like you weren't necessarily planning to do a lot of touring. That could very likely change if you buy a Vision ;)

I recently did a solo trip to Death Valley. I keep my Vision maintained, and don't worry about break-downs, but on a road trip, you have to factor in the possibility. In the event of a problem other than a flat tire, my contingency plan was to check availability of a truck/trailer at U-Hauls in Baker or Ridgecrest and a 500 mile drive home. Didn't love the idea, but it didn't keep me from going, either.

It sounds like you have a dealer fairly close to you, and I would think that would be a more important consideration for getting done any work you can't do yourself.

As others have written, there should likely continue to be solutions to the parts question. The only thing I think about from time-to-time is the availability of body parts for the Vision should the bike ever go down hard. If replacements couldn't be had and the insurance company totaled my Vision, I'd buy it back, strip it down and find a way to keep it street-legal riding it in its "Platinum" state.

The Vision would make one B.A. rat bike, that's for sure.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I question your sanity. I have a 2013 Vision and I love it but I have no illusions. My bike is worth far less at retail today than it would be worth if Victory was still making bikes. If you do not already own one, why would you want one? Yes they are great bikes but the brand is dead. We still have some support from some vendors but how long will that go on. Who knows? If you have money to risk I suppose there is a possibility that Victory bikes will continue to get support. I do have enough financial independence to chance it with my Vision but I know that I would be a fool to take the bike on today if I didn't already own it.
I fully expect this post to be slammed by my fellow Victory owners but that is how I feel.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you are out in the middle of nowhere and you have an issue that the local non victory mechanic cant fix, you'll need a tow truck to get it home and an end to the trip because it is a HUGE problem.....like a blown engine or a crash.

What im saying is, they are very reliable and so simplistc that anyone can fix them. Worry not. Support will be here for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I question your sanity. I have a 2013 Vision and I love it but I have no illusions. My bike is worth far less at retail today than it would be worth if Victory was still making bikes. If you do not already own one, why would you want one? Yes they are great bikes but the brand is dead. We still have some support from some vendors but how long will that go on. Who knows? If you have money to risk I suppose there is a possibility that Victory bikes will continue to get support. I do have enough financial independence to chance it with my Vision but I know that I would be a fool to take the bike on today if I didn't already own it.
I fully expect this post to be slammed by my fellow Victory owners but that is how I feel.
Not slamming Oldman, but what would you replace your Vision with? I had the idea to get rid of the Vision and buy something else with dealer support. I rode BMW Grand America and B, Gold Wing, Transcontinental (the closest to the Vision). Did not ride Indian (Polaris will NEVER get any more of my money) or Harley (not into the whole "lifestyle" thing). My Vision is a nicer bike (to me) than any of these. I am thinking of selling my 2011 and buying a new one, while they are still available. They are that good...

Plus, after having Rylan and Gabe from the Vic Shop do the 30K service and talking to him about it, he said why would you buy something else...these bikes are bulletproof!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.