VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No secret, I bought a new 2010 HD with zero miles, it's a US bike and I'm Canadian.

First some background, Deeley Canada has had the sole import rites for HD into Canada since TV was invented, perhaps longer. They set Canadian pricing on the bikes and accessories. Canadian bikes are $4,000 ~ $5,000 higher than the same bike in the US despite our dollars being close to par for several yrs now. Many Cdns are buying used US bikes that still have warranty and bring them into Canada, (can you blame them?)

As of July Deeley changed the rules, there is no longer warranty coverage for US bikes sold to Canadians and imported into Canada. But, they provided an out, if you bring the bike into a HD shop and have it inspected, pay Deeley Canada $375.00, and buy a metric Speedometer, send it along with your US speedo to Milwaukee for calibration they will cover you for the remainder of the 2 yr term, $1,000 in total.

Now the latest, as of Monday Oct 4th, there was a service bulletin out to all the dealers, US and Canada. Somehow Deeley has persuaded Milwaukee to not allow it's US dealers to provide warranty on any US bike owned by Cdns.

I guess Deeley must be having problem putting fuel in one of his Yachts.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts

If they had to to that there it must have been a big problem for them, a drop in sales up north at least along the bordering states. I doubt doing that will solve their problem. It might plug the hole for a while but the hull is wearing a little thin.
If our dollar goes above the USfueled by Oil Production out in Alberta (I heard last week on the oil industry) it could prove to be a very interesting 2011.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Candubrain said:
No secret, I bought a new 2010 HD with zero miles, it's a US bike and I'm Canadian.

First some background, Deeley Canada has had the sole import rites for HD into Canada since TV was invented, perhaps longer. They set Canadian pricing on the bikes and accessories. Canadian bikes are $4,000 ~ $5,000 higher than the same bike in the US despite our dollars being close to par for several yrs now. Many Cdns are buying used US bikes that still have warranty and bring them into Canada, (can you blame them?)

As of July Deeley changed the rules, there is no longer warranty coverage for US bikes sold to Canadians and imported into Canada. But, they provided an out, if you bring the bike into a HD shop and have it inspected, pay Deeley Canada $375.00, and buy a metric Speedometer, send it along with your US speedo to Milwaukee for calibration they will cover you for the remainder of the 2 yr term, $1,000 in total.

Now the latest, as of Monday Oct 4th, there was a service bulletin out to all the dealers, US and Canada. Somehow Deeley has persuaded Milwaukee to not allow it's US dealers to provide warranty on any US bike owned by Cdns.

So much for our Free Trade aggreement.
Thanks Deeley Canada more riders are going to purchase Victorys withthat move, some of us that is.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I think it will hurt their dealerships more, as people will go to Indie's for service as their is no longer the fear of loosing warranty coverage.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Don't worry most companies are doing the same thing. Vic in particular

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
The price between a Canuck Vic and a US Vic has a very substantial difference as well Im sure they are rigged the same way by the creeps that set them. Agian the stiff pink thing enteres our left ear up here in Canuck land . And people ask why do they call us a nation of sheep .
(See) (Nation of Sheep . Margeret Atwood)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Candubrain said:

Warranties are over-rated,drive the **** out of it, then buy another one :)
Really show's how bad the US economy is, pretty sad.
There are a ton of used HD's for sale here in Canada, decent prices also, but the reason for that is that a lot of people with huge loans on their Motorcycles are just not paying up, can't afford to, HD is getting swamped with new " used " motorcycles no one can afford.
Solution ? Send them toCanada, we will buy them up.
I think Canadians have bought so many lately that imported sales have dropped off huge, thus the " shove it up our ass " attitude, screw the warranty on us.
HDis really starting to hurt in my opinion, but it's not a good reason to piss off the people who can afford to buy, bad buisness in my books.
Oh well, sorry for the rant, I will still probably think hard about another HD, but if I do decide then i'll buy one that has no warranty, Deeleycan kiss my Canadian ass !

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Candubrain said:
Personally I think it will hurt their dealerships more, as people will go to Indie's for service as their is no longer the fear of loosing warranty coverage.
Your are right there, no way would I pay extra for a warranty that should be " free " in the first place.
If I needed work done that I could not do myself, I would not set foot in a HD dealership, period.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andy said:
Candu, I'm confused.

Does this mean that the new HD you just bought does NOT have a factory warranty?
That's correct. Originally I thought I could live without the Cnd warranty, as I have a buddy in town with a motorcycle trailer that I could borrow if needed and drive 3 hrs to Port Huron Michigan for major warranty work, anything minor I was willing to pay out of my pocket.
Now it all comes out of my pocket.

·
Registered
6,725 Posts
Candubrain said:
Andy said:
Candu, I'm confused.

Does this mean that the new HD you just bought does NOT have a factory warranty?
That's correct. Originally I thought I could live without the Cnd warranty, as I have a buddy in town with a motorcycle trailer that I could borrow if needed and drive 3 hrs to Port Huron Michigan for major warranty work, anything minor I was willing to pay out of my pocket.
Deeley's out $ 1,000.00 Loonies, Seems fitting Eh.
Only in Canada, you say.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chas_K said:
I just want to know how this is gonna affect Starbucks :)

LOL
Good question, OT has condemned me from going to a Timmies without a Vic present. So share prices in Starbucks should go up......they also make my wife's favourite Mocha coffee

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Love the loonies and toonies. Makes it hard for us southerners to know how much money we actually have in our pocket.

Anyhow the Deeley would be a deelio breaker and I'd be looking elsewhere.

Warranty pay for HD's must be way low compared to normal service work. Than again our dollar may be so weak now that the pay is too low for them to do warranty work.

We've also lost around 6% to Yen which has been in the tank for the last 15 years

·
Registered
220 Posts
Candubrain said:

We had a similar situation in the UK, we would go into mainland Europe and buy bikes at much reduced rates but the UK dealers wouldnt honour the warranty. This is illegal and they naw have to provide warranty although the situation is lightly different now as the UK pound isnt so strong - the situation has reversed! Surely the manufacturer provides a warranty they must honour?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

What if you had an address in US, say a "friend" that lived in the US and would allow the bike to be registered to his/her address but in your name and you ride the bike in Canada? I would guess that the Canadian Gov has a way to figure this out and stop it. Would that work? Obviously if someone could strike a deal like this it would have to be a private arrangement and never made known on the net.
Just thinking outside the box..
Can you lease from US and drive up there?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Candubrain said:
Andy said:
Candu, I'm confused.

Screw them. When you need warrenty work. Give me a call, and we will tell them it is a Florida bike. I got a set of dealer tags you can barrow for a few days

·
Registered
397 Posts
People in business like to tell everyone who will listen that capitalism works if you let it run it's course. I agree until this type of B.S. happens. These guys can't accept the gravy train is rollin to a stop and they are going to do every last thing they can to squeeze everyone to get just a little bit more. What a bunch of pathetic greedy knob gobblers.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Andy said:
Candu, I'm confused.

The only warranty on a US spec bike is a US warranty. I'm not sure what it says about a US spec and registered bike being operated in Canada but you can be sure there is NO Canadian warranty on a US spec bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.