VOG Forum banner

Deciding Whether to Purchase the Victory Cross Country Tour or Not

5K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  LEVON106 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the VOG. I joined to learn more about the Victory XCT motorcycle before I purchase a 2017 model with less than 21K miles in Dallas/Fort Worth. I've owned over 20 bikes over the years, but only a few cruisers - 2010 Yamaha 1900cc Stratoliner, 2014 BMW R1200RT, and the 2018 Honda's Goldwing DCT Tour.

Are there any known significant issues I should be aware of regarding the Cross Country Tour?

Is the bike comfortable on long (6+ hrs) rides, or does the factory seat need to be upgraded? Comfort is very important to me for longer rides.

I have read that maintenance is easy to perform by the owner; is that true?

Are there any other questions I should be asking before I purchase the bike?

Thanks and have a great day.

#2 ·
I'll try to help

I have a 2013 and have not had any issues. The bike is comfortable for 10 hour rides. I had to upgrade the seat to a Russell Day Long as I thought the stock seat wasn't up to the task. Some think it's fine. I didn't

Maintenance is super easy other than having to remove the seat and gas tank to change or clean the air filter.

Oil changes couldn't be any easier.
Break pads are just as easy.
Hydraulic fluid flush is easy.

I have 61K miles and have never had a breakdown issue. I'm riding to Idaho in less than 2 months and have as much confidence in a stress free ride as I've always have had.

#3 ·
Victory's are pretty rock solid. Oil and tires. The seat might be an issue depending on your azz, there are viable solutions. Despite what some people think or feel, there are parts available for better performance.

#4 ·
I have to say Ditto to everything Blowndodge has written as I have same bike also with 60 thousand miles.The XCT has everything you want without all the complicated high tech addons you do not need.Mine has been Dynotuned the old way with PCV,timing wheel and Lloyds air filter with stock pipes so 94 HP and 114 lbs torque and this did cool the engine down.I think all that cost about $1100 with the well regarded Kevin X doing the work.Because of the huge storage,handling and great Rideability I cannot even make myself look at another touring bike.I love the IPOD even with the stock stereo which you can hear loud and clear on setting 8,9 or 10 at 75 MPH.

#6 · (Edited)
I had 70,000 on my 2014 CC 8-BALL...oil changes (VICTORY) and tires. It hit a guardrail and met it's demise...at the end of season I was going to change spark plugs. At my WIFE'S request this winter I bought another, but this time a 2016 CCT, with 6954 miles. I also have a 2016 VEGAS 8-BALL, 20,000 miles, tires and oil changes (again VICTORY) so far. I've owned 23 bikes since 12 years old, 71 now, and in all those years only went 6 months without a bike. My VICTORIES are numbers 21, 22 and now 23. BEST bikes I've ever owned.:icon_thumleft:
NOW, the seat part...I/WIFE didn't like the stock seat, I got an ULTIMATE seat from Witch Doctors....love it and she calls it her couch. Our first trip, 14 days, we covered 6100 miles, at the end she said DO NOT TAKE MY COUCH OFF! That was on the CC 8-BALL, which I took off, and now on the CCT.:dance:

See signature for motor mods...CC 8-BALL done at 400 miles, CCT went from sellers house straight to HOFFER PERFORMANCE for same.:oilleak:

#10 ·
@Dave_In_Dallas do you still have the GW? Why are you contemplating a Victory in the first place? Might help us answer what's on your mind if you give us a little more context on what you have today, what that bike is missing and what you are looking for.

#11 · (Edited)
MD2420, No I sold the 2018 GoldWing DCT Touring within the same year I bought it brand new. I am a service connected disabled vet from the Persian Gulf War, and I have significant back issues and nerve damage. What others are comfortable on might not be comfortable for me. Although, I was comfortable on my Yamaha 1900 Stratoliner Deluxe for 6 to 8 hour rides with my Ultimate seat and its forward foot controls. Unfortunately, I could not ride the GoldWing or the BMW for more than 3 hours because of the lack of forward foot controls causing too much back and tailbone pain. I spent a lot of money on floorboards, Russel Day Long seats and highway pegs for the Honda and BMW to no avail. I have since rented another forward foot control Harley, and realized I need forward foot controls, but I did not like the shaking if the Harley. I rode the Kawasaki Vaquero with forward foot controls, and it was comfy, for one person. I ride alone 70% of the time, but I still need something comfortable for the wife and myself. Attached is a pic of my Stratoliner.

Attachments

#12 ·
I think you'll be happy with the XCT. I also see an Ultimate seat in your future aboard the XCT.

Do you require a backrest?

I have since rented another forward foot control Harley, and realized I need forward foot controls.
I rode my X BIL's HD Ultra. After getting it started for him, I turned it around in the court and pulled it into the garage. Bare in mind that I'm only 5'5", I felt like I was on a moped with a full fairing compared to my big girls.

#15 ·
Thx for the added info and your service @Dave_In_Dallas. Vics have plenty of room to stretch out and with huge floorboards and highway peg options, you should have no problem. And yes, sounds like a seat change may be in order for your particular needs.

have you considered a Vision? Asking for a friend. ;)

#16 ·
A ram mount for your phone / tablet / gps ( whichever you navigate from ) a compass velcro'd on the dash & she’s all day long capable with storage space you’ll appreciate on a bike you’ll absolutely love. The seats a personal preference as it’s fine for some & terrible for others ( I think it boils down to amount of meat on ur a$$ ) Mechanically speaking, is one of the best machine ever engineered, easy / cheap to maintain & operate. Is tons with over 100k miles & many with over 200k miles. Questions to ask are, if has the maintenance history, last date serviced, clean air filter new plugs ( is always nice to have ) what mods / upgrades have been done, check date code / condition of tires b4 traveling far. Always ensure is at least 40 psi in rear shock & no more than 72 ( 2 up fully loaded riding ) never use air compressor to fill or you’ll pop it ( unless is on regulator ) does it have the owners manual / factory tool kit? Great machines and are extremely comfortable all day long with pretty descent factory tunes.

Reactions: 13SicVic and rdeerx
#19 ·
I am sure you will be very happy with the XCT. I purchased my 2013 in January 2020. I to have many back issues including scoliosis of the spine, a cage and 3 screws in my lower spinal area, severe nerve damage to left leg and foot, my left leg is longer than my right. I have no trouble riding the Victory long distance. She came with a Corbin seat that I like so far. No problems at all and very easy to work on. If you have a problem the guys on this forum are always glad to help. Buy it and ride it till the wheels fall off!

#20 ·
BurBansk, thanks for your response. It's good to hear everyone else's comments and experiences with the XCT, but yours is even more valuable because you understand how difficult it can be to find a comfortable ride given all the medical issues we share. What's comfortable for others, may not be comfortable for us. Have a great day!

#23 ·
I also have a Stratoliner (2009) and bought a 2016 CCT for extended rides (4 to 6,000 miles)., The CCT is more comfortable for these trips: full fairing, cruise control, radio, heated seat and grips and lots more storage in bags and trunk. You will also get more life out of your rear tire and 4 or 5 more miles to the gallon with a bigger tank, fewer gas stops, 80 to 100 more miles between stops, 6th gear probably helps. The CCT does not have the power of the Strat, very noticable when passing. I think the Strat sits lower and handles better, not as top heavy as the CCT. Day trips in good weather, Strat wins every time.

#24 ·
The strat does not win every time. Take the trunk off the CCT it's easy. The bike will be so much more rideable. Cam a CC and watch it win every time.

#31 ·
They truly do make the big girl better in my hilly area, much less shifting, can just roll the throttle & up n over we climb. The udp & timing wheel would also be a great alternative for anyone not wanting to cam or add a fuel controller in steep hills / mountains. Just for $hits n giggles I do wonder how much different a stripped down xc would ride and feel. I love my big girl & she’s a cadillac and is perfect for what I bought her for ( traveling ) but I do wonder how fun a Magnum would be for day rides

#32 ·
They truly do make the big girl better in my hilly area, much less shifting, can just roll the throttle & up n over we climb. The udp & timing wheel would also be a great alternative for anyone not wanting to cam or add a fuel controller in steep hills / mountains. Just for $hits n giggles I do wonder how much different a stripped down xc would ride and feel. I love my big girl & she's a cadillac and is perfect for what I bought her for ( traveling ) but I do wonder how fun a Magnum would be for day rides
It really depends on the rider. Some just like to ride and cruise around. Some like performance. Spirited riding. I like both. I like the smile my bikes put on my face when I ride them. I didn't smile much when they were stock. I just rode them.

Reactions: Bikesofbrads
#33 ·
I do enjoy the occasional 2-5th gear wind outs myself, she sounds so good & gets up to cruising speed right now. Just tickles her pink, lifts her skirt, drops her panties & a happy wife makes a happy life. I gotta cool chic that digs it so was a super easy choice

#36 ·
@Blowndodge Hey man do u happen to remember where ya got the flasher relay & how much it was? In Rylans video he stated it can even cause run ability issues, it, the battery & the 40 amp breaker. ( starter solenoid ) Am thinkin bout getting all three for trips, never wanna b stuck over a semi cheap part that I could change beside the road. The old saying would rather have it & not need it than to need it & not have it. Huh is that where hoarding started?

Reactions: Chattanooga_Mark
#42 ·
Sky Cloud Tire Plant Automotive lighting
Sky Cloud Tire Plant Automotive lighting
I have a 2014 CCT. It just turned 138,000 miles, I have ridden it ti Alaska and the Arctic Circle, to Newfoundland and in to and in all 48 lower states. I changed the seat to a Ultimate, I'm a big guy, 6'6"/285, I regularly put 600 + mile days on her. I had cams, timing wheel,lloydz air cleaner, tri-ovals, and race tuner put on her at about 15,000 miles. Since then I have changed the starter, turn signal switch, fork seals, and the regular maintenance and tires. I changed the drive belt at 108,000 but could have left it on as it looks great. Best bike I have ever owned.

#45 ·
Have had 3 Vics and they've all been about as reliable as the average Toyota. At least that's been my experience. Mainly ride a Magnum now but it has a stock seat that is similar to the xct which I have found to be quite comfortable on long rides for my 5' 10" 220lbs. Use a hand pump to adjust rear suspension as air bag easy to blow if over filled. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.