Deciding Whether to Purchase the Victory Cross Country Tour or Not | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Deciding Whether to Purchase the Victory Cross Country Tour or Not

Discussion in 'Victory Cross Country' started by Dave_In_Dallas, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Dave_In_Dallas

Dave_In_Dallas New Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    BMW r1200rt
    Hello,

I am new to the VOG. I joined to learn more about the Victory XCT motorcycle before I purchase a 2017 model with less than 21K miles in Dallas/Fort Worth. I've owned over 20 bikes over the years, but only a few cruisers - 2010 Yamaha 1900cc Stratoliner, 2014 BMW R1200RT, and the 2018 Honda's Goldwing DCT Tour.

Are there any known significant issues I should be aware of regarding the Cross Country Tour?

Is the bike comfortable on long (6+ hrs) rides, or does the factory seat need to be upgraded? Comfort is very important to me for longer rides.

I have read that maintenance is easy to perform by the owner; is that true?

Are there any other questions I should be asking before I purchase the bike?

Thanks and have a great day.

2. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    I'll try to help

I have a 2013 and have not had any issues. The bike is comfortable for 10 hour rides. I had to upgrade the seat to a Russell Day Long as I thought the stock seat wasn't up to the task. Some think it's fine. I didn't

Maintenance is super easy other than having to remove the seat and gas tank to change or clean the air filter.

Oil changes couldn't be any easier.
    Break pads are just as easy.
    Hydraulic fluid flush is easy.

I have 61K miles and have never had a breakdown issue. I'm riding to Idaho in less than 2 months and have as much confidence in a stress free ride as I've always have had.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wvrider1

wvrider1 Well-Known Member

Goldmist/Black 14 XCT
    Victory's are pretty rock solid. Oil and tires. The seat might be an issue depending on your azz, there are viable solutions. Despite what some people think or feel, there are parts available for better performance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. lesterlw

lesterlw Active Member

2013XCT
    I have to say Ditto to everything Blowndodge has written as I have same bike also with 60 thousand miles.The XCT has everything you want without all the complicated high tech addons you do not need.Mine has been Dynotuned the old way with PCV,timing wheel and Lloyds air filter with stock pipes so 94 HP and 114 lbs torque and this did cool the engine down.I think all that cost about $1100 with the well regarded Kevin X doing the work.Because of the huge storage,handling and great Rideability I cannot even make myself look at another touring bike.I love the IPOD even with the stock stereo which you can hear loud and clear on setting 8,9 or 10 at 75 MPH.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chattanooga_Mark

Chattanooga_Mark Well-Known Member

2012 CCT, Wonderful in white
    82K on my CCT and it’s been 100%, zero issues. Buy with confidence.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    I had 70,000 on my 2014 CC 8-BALL...oil changes (VICTORY) and tires. It hit a guardrail and met it's demise...at the end of season I was going to change spark plugs. At my WIFE'S request this winter I bought another, but this time a 2016 CCT, with 6954 miles. I also have a 2016 VEGAS 8-BALL, 20,000 miles, tires and oil changes (again VICTORY) so far. I've owned 23 bikes since 12 years old, 71 now, and in all those years only went 6 months without a bike. My VICTORIES are numbers 21, 22 and now 23. BEST bikes I've ever owned.:icon_thumleft:
    NOW, the seat part...I/WIFE didn't like the stock seat, I got an ULTIMATE seat from Witch Doctors....love it and she calls it her couch. Our first trip, 14 days, we covered 6100 miles, at the end she said DO NOT TAKE MY COUCH OFF! That was on the CC 8-BALL, which I took off, and now on the CCT.:dance:

See signature for motor mods...CC 8-BALL done at 400 miles, CCT went from sellers house straight to HOFFER PERFORMANCE for same.:oilleak:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Blowndodge

Blowndodge Well-Known Member

2013 Victory XCT
    Check out my HP numbers after my ram air cleaner install!
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. VicVisionBulldog

VicVisionBulldog VOG Police Chief

Top Poster Of Month

13' Vision Tour / 08' Vision Street Premium
    I know a little about those darn guardrails. :banghead:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. IM12STPN

IM12STPN Well-Known Member

2016 Vegas 8-Ball BLACK!! 2016 CCT...BLACK also
    TG WE BOTH CAN TALK ABOUT THEM :icon_thumleft:

• Like Like x 1
  10. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    @Dave_In_Dallas do you still have the GW? Why are you contemplating a Victory in the first place? Might help us answer what’s on your mind if you give us a little more context on what you have today, what that bike is missing and what you are looking for.

11. Dave_In_Dallas

BMW r1200rt
    MD2420, No I sold the 2018 GoldWing DCT Touring within the same year I bought it brand new. I am a service connected disabled vet from the Persian Gulf War, and I have significant back issues and nerve damage. What others are comfortable on might not be comfortable for me. Although, I was comfortable on my Yamaha 1900 Stratoliner Deluxe for 6 to 8 hour rides with my Ultimate seat and its forward foot controls. Unfortunately, I could not ride the GoldWing or the BMW for more than 3 hours because of the lack of forward foot controls causing too much back and tailbone pain. I spent a lot of money on floorboards, Russel Day Long seats and highway pegs for the Honda and BMW to no avail. I have since rented another forward foot control Harley, and realized I need forward foot controls, but I did not like the shaking if the Harley. I rode the Kawasaki Vaquero with forward foot controls, and it was comfy, for one person. I ride alone 70% of the time, but I still need something comfortable for the wife and myself. Attached is a pic of my Stratoliner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I think you'll be happy with the XCT. I also see an Ultimate seat in your future aboard the XCT.

Do you require a backrest?

I rode my X BIL's HD Ultra. After getting it started for him, I turned it around in the court and pulled it into the garage. Bare in mind that I'm only 5'5", I felt like I was on a moped with a full fairing compared to my big girls.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Dave_In_Dallas

BMW r1200rt
    Yes, a Russell Day Long or Ultimate seat with a backrest will likely be my first upgrade.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. jmstang302

jmstang302 Well-Known Member

2009 Vegas 2008 VISION 2013 XC. 13 Vegas 8 Ball
    I've read that the RDL is rather firm. I've said before that the Ultimate is nearly as comfy as my Lazyboy. As I sit here watching the race...I think my Ultimate seat cushions my butt better. It's truly like sitting on a cloud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. md2420

md2420 Well-Known Member

2014 Vision
    Thx for the added info and your service @Dave_In_Dallas. Vics have plenty of room to stretch out and with huge floorboards and highway peg options, you should have no problem. And yes, sounds like a seat change may be in order for your particular needs.

have you considered a Vision? Asking for a friend. ;)

• Like Like x 3