VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you know of anyone heading to Deal's Gap this summer, this may be of interest to them.
Deal's Gap road closure:
There has been a rockslide on US-129 (aka Deal's Gap, Tail of the Dragon) down beside the lake on the Tennessee side approximately 1.5 miles south of Foothills Parkway. Here is the current news release: http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/node/4784

The TN governor has decided not to accept North Carolina's help with law enforcement and emergency services and instead has decided to close the road entirely from the rockslide south to the state line. In other words, the road is closed entirely. Current estimates vary from reopening on March 26th to continuing to be closed until July or August.

You can contact the TN governor using this email address: [email protected] or by visiting his website at http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/governor/Contact.do There are phone numbers and physical addresses for snail mail.

Here is a map that shows directions around the rockslide and closed road: Detour around Rockslide

Further complicating the matter, the State of TN has right of way jurisdiction 100 feet from the center of the road. Beyond that is National Park, so there's more discussions, negotiations and arguments necessary prior to attempts to stabilize the bank before they can remove the stuff that already fell.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Ill bet its the same slide that made me get off hwy 40 to Asheville NC and go through the mountains on 25/70

(see my post on are you riding today)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Will be there in June for the motorcycle rally.. I have ridden that road many times and I highly recommend it to everyone. You need to be confident, cautious, attentive and willing to do a little scraping of hard parts; but man, what a ride! 300+ curves in 11 miles...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
BlueDemon said:
Will be there in June for the motorcycle rally.. I have ridden that road many times and I highly recommend it to everyone. You need to be confident, cautious, attentive and willing to do a little scraping of hard parts; but man, what a ride! 300+ curves in 11 miles...
I guess anyone coming to the SE rally in June that hasn't ridden 129 will be out of luck since it's planned on being closed through late summer.

Been there, done that and honestly it's not that great a road. Chehola Skyway and a number of surrounding roads are much better rides IMHO.

The saddest part of all this is the businesses that depend on the traffic will most likely go under.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have to agree what mjw said. I have ridden Deals Gap 3 times. the last 2 was because my riding buddys have never been there. It is a nice road but I think a little over rated. Everybody should do it once if for nothing else just to stop at the store and get a T-shirt. there Are much better road in the area to ride. I personly like the Blue Ridge better.

·
Registered
471 Posts

From Deals Gap south is where all the good roads are as others have said. Hwy 28 down to Franklin is a great road. The Skyway, etc are all more interesting to ride. US 19 down to Dahlonega, Ga is another excellent road as well.
Maybe all the crotch rockets hell-bent on hurting themselves or someone else will move to another location!
RR

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm meeting a buddy in the Maggie Valley area in mid May for 3 days of riding together. He's reasonably new (has a new Star 950 and about 3000 miles of experience) to riding and we were going to slow-poke the Dragon. He'll likely be relieved, but like many have said, there are other good rides in the area. We're renting a house and planning day long rides out and back - thanks for the suggestions. And thanks to the OP for the news.

·
Registered
279 Posts

mjw930 said:
BlueDemon said:
I guess anyone coming to the SE rally in June that hasn't ridden 129 will be out of luck since it's planned on being closed through late summer.

Been there, done that and honestly it's not that great a road. Chehola Skyway and a number of surrounding roads are much better rides IMHO.

The saddest part of all this is the businesses that depend on the traffic will most likely go under.
For those who haven't ridden that road before, don't let the whinners and complainers talk you out of it. Don't ride it because you "have to" do it because you "want to". People like to take the fun out of things by throwing a "have to at least once..blah-blah". "Been there done that" = I didn't have fun so there is no way you would....
My family, friends and I have had a blast on this road and it is a shame that it is closed. Not a "IMHO" (cop-out saying), but a fact.
Get out there and enjoy the roads that are available in this part of the country. Let the wind hit you and smile. That's where some of the enjoyment of riding comes from!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
BlueDemon said:
mjw930 said:
BlueDemon said:

For those who haven't ridden that road before, don't let the whinners and complainers talk you out of it. Don't ride it because you "have to" do it because you "want to". People like to take the fun out of things by throwing a "have to at least once..blah-blah". "Been there done that" = I didn't have fun so there is no way you would....
My family, friends and I have had a blast on this road and it is a shame that it is closed. Not a "IMHO" (cop-out saying), but a fact.
Get out there and enjoy the roads that are available in this part of the country. Let the wind hit you and smile. That's where some of the enjoyment of riding comes from!
Quite the stretch from me commenting there are better roads in the area to I didn't like it. I enjoyed it for what is is and have done in in sports cars and motorcycles. I was just trying to convey to people who hadn't been there that although it's closed there are hundreds of miles of better riding roads in the area so don't let it being closed stop you from visiting the area. If course this is IMHO and YMMV ;)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

Clubford00 said:
For the guy in Andys video, sorry but, what an idiot !
And you wonder why they don't see us on our bikes. Idiots can't even see a rock slide covering the road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.