VOG Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to wonder how people could have such problems with their dealers... until thismorning. I apologize for being indifferent. I know see the light. It would be nice if we had some sort of rating/voting system, where members could vote (only once) on a dealer.
I had a 1/2 hour appointment at Mount Hood Polaris (45 minutes away), to simply download a fuel mapping, of which I had all the paperwork and mapping number ready to go. 1.5 hours later, not only could they not handle this job, they wanted to charge me $80/hour while I continue to wait for them to call the mother ship (Polaris) and S&S trying to figure it out. I refused to pay and asked them to pay me $35/hour for my lost wages. Needless to say, the owner started yelling at me, saying I should take my bike and not come back. I kept my cool the whole time, even though I was out nearly a half day's work and my bike was still in need of service. So if anyone asks about Mount Hood Polaris in Boring Oregon, I would like to suggest that they run away... run far away. The guy's mental! The mechanic looked really sad when I rolled my bike out of their garage bay myself. I'm assuming because I could leave and he could not.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Communicating honest opinions of a specific dealer is the best way to make all dealer's offer better service.

Does anyone else have any experience with this dealer? Good or Poor, let us know how they performed for you. Maybe this was a fluke, maybe not.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

I wasn't there and I know tone of voice, demeanor choice of words all have different levels of contrubutions to conflicts and communication problems. All business' are subject to the good and bad of word of mouth. Like they say "you reap what you sew." As I have said around here before, I am a former dealership service manager and I would never be so abrupt as to ask a customer to leave unless they wereflat being abusive. It appears this dealer does not appreciate the value of a customer. For those of us who drop 20 grand on a bike and 2000-5000 worth of upgrades in the first two years is nothing to take for granted. Not to mention how postive stories can help their business. I post two different kudos here regading my experiences with my local dealers.
I this case I would challenge the dealer to quote the flat rate time Victory would pay them to download and test the map program. Most retail flat rates should exceed warranty time by 30%-40%. I would offer to pay retail based on the warranty time plus 50% at most. I would ask them to justify why you should be on the hook for the excessive labor? Victory built the technology and the dealer should be adequately trained to support the technology. Beyond that a consumer should not have to compensate a dealer for their technical incompetence. I am assuming you are going to try the dealer in east Portland?
I would call Polaris and file a complaint against the dealer as well as write the dealer a letter. You might find out he was having a bad day and might offer an apology. If he doesn't al least it will show you his true colors.
I have one dealer within 3 miles and two others within 25 miles of me. I would have no problem trailering my bike to the other two if the local one snubbed me like that. The shame is some folks don't have dealer support as convenient as I do.
I am a fair and patient person to a point, but stuff like that makes me wanna go Anthony Soprano.
Tell the dealer that I travel down to Oregon frequently on business and would love to debate this with him in person. ;) By the way I am 6'-2" and 260.
Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I was not there.
In todays economy I fear that some dealers are going to get stressed. Those are the ones that look at the dollars and not the future sales. You add these dealers on top of the ones that are "bad" to begin with and it doesn't look good.
We as owners just want to be treated fairly. My suggestion on matters like this is always get a written estimate before work begins.
My local dealer did it to me twice. He does car/truck service as well. I had new tires put on my S-10. The goober doing the job had them off in 15 minutes. Almost 4 hours later, I get my truck? If he did not have to talk to everyone he could have gotten my truck finished and made me happy. Just a note here, I worked the tire shop in the Air Force for 6 months so I know how long it takes. Then I had fork seals, belt and plugs done. The shop time for this work is 2-1/2 hours. I get my bike in 3-1/2 hours and never saw a torque wrench come out. I was only charged for 2-1/2 hours but I wasted and hour of riding time so he could yap on his cellphone. Then to top it off I was charged $64 for 2 spark plugs. O.O I had enough and ride 2-1/2 hours for service from Higgins because it's done right and always finished in less time than the book states.
I understand everyone has an off day. This economy should thin out the "bad" dealers and we should spend our money at the good dealers. Sure owners complain about how few Victory dealers there are but if you don't live in a city most HD dealers are a good distance apart so even when you have a "bad" dealer with them you will end up going a good distance to find a good one.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
The best course is to get all your service negotiated in advance. I was telling Andy about my trip a few weeks ago and asked the dealer how much it would be to put an S&S kit on for my buddy. He quoted me ten hours of labor to remove and re-install the motor. I told him that he could just pop the plastic welds on the airbox and cut it out and be done in two hours. He looked at me like a deer in the headlights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.