VOG Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a question...er...problem/issue(???).
I took my Vision in to have the dealer correct the right side bag alignment. Well, it came back jacked up worse than when I went it. They said at that time that they will fix it the next time I am in (for service). I agreed and took off with a less than nice looking right side back alignment.
I took the bike in a couple of weeks ago to have the CB installed and asked that they adjust the bag back to what it was so it at least looks correct although it still rubs on the passenger seat. I could live with it rubbing as long as the gap between the lower part of the bag door and the lower portion of the fairing was correct. Well, they happily explained that the rear hinge was bent and they would need to order another one and have it replaced under 'warranty'. I was fine with this and agreed.
NOW, I got a call from the dealer explaining that Polaris would only compensate them 30 minutes of time to replace it. The dealer explained it would take over an hour to get it done and aligned correctly and I ('YOU', said by the dealer) will be responsible for the rest of the time over the 1/2 hour. WHAT?
So, my question is simple. WHO is responsible for this overage cost? I think it is up to the dealer since the bag was 'aligned' properly BEFORE bringing it to them to have the bag moved off of the passenger seat.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
My two cents?

The dealer is responsible for fixing this issue and/or fighting with the factory for reimbursement. You are responsible for riding safely and having fun...and not having to deal with this.

·
Registered
717 Posts

I can't believe your dealer would even bring up the cost to you.
Now I know why most guys hate their dealers.
My guy would be embarrased to bring it up to me.
Was drinking with my guys this afternoon, and it started to rain.
Offered me a ride home, which is out of his way, ended up taking one of his
trucks home. It is all about customer service.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
To be honest and I don't think I've said this in a long time but That is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard! So what the dealer is saying is either his guys are to dumb to complete the job in the alloted time or Victory is screwing him. Either way, not YOUR problem. I would be curious how much Victory compensates the dealer for warranty's? A warranty is just that a warranty, if a part is covered by the warranty, you are covered by the warranty. I know I probably shouldn't jump the gun but it's stories like this that are turning me away from Vic and towards Honda for my new touring bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I am afraid to say this...but don't leave a Vision out of the possibilities because of dealers. I am finding it the BEST bike I have ever ridden. Of course, that being said...its fights like this that DO cause people to say what you did (DJSR70).
I will say that I will buy another Vision or Vic...but sadly, I will be more considerate of WHOM I buy it from. I have heard horror stories about this dealer and they are just now coming to light from my perspective.
Thank you ALL for the replies! I have been thinking the same thing you have said. I am going to schedule a meeting with the service manager to discuss.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I deal with service people in the auto industry every day in my buisness. Not once have i ever heard of the making a customer pay for Part of a warranty. Warranty is warranty. Now i have heard of a few techs bitchin because the warranty only paid x hours and the job took twice as long, however i heard more often how a warrany paid x hours and the same techs say they can do it in half he time it pays. It sounds to me like he has some inferior techs working for him and they are complaining, and he is trying to get the difference back from you. Tell him to get some more knowledgeable techs and he wont have this problem. Or hes just a jerk ! LOL good luck

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
After giving this some thought, I'm thinking there might be a logical answer to this situation.

It sounds like possibly, Victory paid the dealer the alloted warranty fees to fix it the first time and possibly the tech simply screwed it up when attempting the warranty repair.

I'm guessing that Victory will not pay the dealer twice for the same repair and the dealer simply wont fess up they made a simple repair more complicated and is trying to stick you with the bill. Hey, crap happens and if they made a mistake, so be it. This is not an "earn while you learn" program and you shouldn't be stuck with the training bill.

Yes, if the service manager will not correct the issue, I'd be shopping for another dealer.

This brings up another point...

For Vision owners, how do we know if the mechanic working on our bikes have been factory certified on the Vision? Maybe I'm wrong, but I had heard that when the Vision was introduced, that the mechanics had to be re-certified to work on this bike. Is this correct or was I mislead?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am one lucky dude...I spoke to my dealer about this and he said this guy will not be in business long. He suggested you try and contact Victory or go to another dealer if possible. I am sure he story is true but in these times of needing customers that dealer is all @#$% up!

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
soutterjack said:
I am one lucky dude...I spoke to my dealer about this and he said this guy will not be in business long. He suggested you try and contact Victory or go to another dealer if possible. I am sure he story is true but in these times of needing customers that dealer is all @#$% up!
+1 A business practice such as this wreaks of a very desperate dealer. While there's always three sides to every story, if there's an ounce of truth to this, and I have no doubt there is, then he's probably in way over his head.

Hey, I've always been pro-consumer and encourage people to vote with their wallets. I do practice what I preach as I changed dealers earlier this year for a similar reason.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

I am a former dealership service manager and this is the second story in the last two days about dealers who don't value customers. I would NEVER ask a customer to compensate for short warranty labor. That same dealer wouldn't offer to pay you if it paid 2 hours and lonly took them 1 hour? It's called flat rate. Car dealers and bike shops are comp'ed by the manfactures the same way. As a business doing warranty work "sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windsheild." I am thinking that I need to change professions to be a consumer rights advoctate!
These dealers need to pull their heads out!

·
Registered
188 Posts

I agree this is a dealer issue and should not even be brought up to you.
As for the techs needing to be recertified on the Vision - that is correct. My dealer sent his techs to get the Vision certification when it came out.
I am extremely happy with how I have been treated by my dealer in the short time I have had my Vision. When I bought mine, I had the dealer add the Comm/CB setup. They had never done this before and it was a definite learning experience for them (apparrently the installation instructions from Victory are not very detailed). I also expressed a concern about the stock mounting position for the unit. The stock location is under the trunk and when the trunk is removed, the comm/cb unit must also be removed. My dealer offered to do a custom install in one of the saddle bags, which required extending the wiring harness and the CB antenna connections. They did this all at no cost to me. They also spent a number of hours on the install above and beyond what the factory said it should take because the instructions weren't great and they were doing it for the first time and wanted to make sure it was done right. Again all of this was at no cost to me. The dealer just wanted to make sure I was happy and everything worked properly.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I would make it clear to your dealer that it is warranty and that's the way it is. Times are tight for everyone, but taking advantage of a customer is NOT the way to do it.

Good luck getting all this resolved. Keep us posted. I would even go as far as having him log on here and see just how many folks are following all this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is just wrong.I have worked at three motorcycle dealerships over the years and never seen this happen.I think a letter to the Victory headshed is in order with a copy to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts
Not to make light of this situation, but this seems appropriate...

C'mon dealers, get your act together! While most of the dealers are good at providing service, there's always that bad apple that spoils the bunch.

Try JibJab Sendables® eCards today!​

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.