VOG Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago I moved way up to a ‘16 XCT from an old Shadow vt1100t. Love my new ride. One morning this week all the instruments went dead... meters, gauges, even radio. Bike ran fine. Even played my pod music, just couldn’t adjust vol. Then after work when I started up, all worked fine. No reoccurrences since. I’ve read other Vic temp power outages but they all killed the engine power too, not dash only. I would think a fuse blew if the dash hadn’t come back up later that day. The only thing I did semi unusual was plug in my pod and pod charger. Any VOGs ever seen or heard of this?

·
Super Moderator
26,834 Posts
I don't recall seeing this before without the bike trying to die or die like you mentioned.

My guess would be a loose connection or a break in a wire.

Reactions: MitchRider

·
Registered
416 Posts
Welcome to the Vog
...and I would say gremlins :) run out and buy a bell, hang it low close to the road where they lay in wait (for mosty HD riders) ...they hate the bell, it scares them
Dude. You can't buy YOU OWN BELL. That'll BRING THE GREMLINS... ;-)

Reactions: MitchRider

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will a gremlin target a Vic? I guess I assumed all that superior R&D would have engineered out that possibility. Although come to think of it I never really saw that addressed on the YouTube videos. Now I wonder if my dash flash was by act of one. And if I can transplant my old Honda bell over.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Reactions: jedi-mcfly

·
Registered
752 Posts
Has happened twice to me! bike runs -dash just doesn't work! I am pretty sure it's the big plug on back of dash. It appears it can be tye wrapped too tight and will come loose when turning handle bars to the left on a full turn. I had cut all of my tyes and redid them with all plugs looser. And the second time I found the HID box I installed with new headlights had came loose ( it was double sided taped) and of course dropped down and lodged itself between that same wire loom and the dash plug was tilting down so it was not making connection. I pushed it back up and damn if the dash didn't come back! I have a new tye system!!!! The good news is you can ride the damn thing home and fix - nothing will blow up - you just don't have any guages!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the dealer can’t reproduce it they pat your back and send you away after keeping it a few days, although usually quite politely. I’ll look for the dash plug that Rewindguy found. It makes sense. And i definitely do count the blessing that I can still peddle down the road if it happens again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.