VOG Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I bought a dual HID motorcycle headlight kit from DDM tuning ( I had the dealer install ) on my Cross Country. Of course DDM is closed today. I wanted to ask them directly on this to see what assistance/help they will offer.

I just had my 500 mile service and my service mgr is convinced it's the kit. He wants me to leave the bike off for a day so he can horse around with it. Is it just going to be a case of relocating the ballasts? I don't know what kind of wire play is left with these ballasts as it is all in the fairing.

Frustrating............

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
won't get my kit until Tuesday so I can't comment as of yet. However if they tell you anything let me know.

It's possible the ballast could be causing some interference but how you could shield from that I don't know.

Is it AM or FM both? Does it buzz with ipod as well? Weather station?

Depending where I'm at my AM has engine noise and interference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have no answers on AM, weather, or Ipod. I have not tried them. It seems to be the lower frequencies on FM. Like anything below 100 Mhz. I have the interface but don't have an Ipot yet............
I"ll let you know what they say. I fear it may be because the kit was so cheap. I never had a radio, so I never thought anything about this.
I wonder what the Victory HID balast does to reception. $50 seemed so much better than $500..........
My service guy is great. So I"m hoping. Maybe if the ballast can be relocated..........I"m realy curious about what DDM will say about this.
I've dumped all my money and some I didn't have into this bike. I have champagne taste witha beer budget.
It's just great though cruising along on the highway at 80. It's a fun and comfortable bike.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I know I've seen several guys online mount these on HD dressers and not have any issues like this so who knows maybe you just got a bad one.

Did you put 2 in or just 1?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Two. It was a dual kit. My service manager did it. He's pretty sharp. I will call DDM tomorrow, although I'll be on the road. I'll let you know what I find out.
They're going to get it from me if they say "Well it won't work for your application".
It's advertised as a motorcycle kit. A disclaimer should be put up if it's not meant to go on a bike with a radio.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

PrimePower said:
I have had these kits on my BMW LT with no probs and run both lights and fogs on my truck and car. However I will say that their customer service is awful.
Are the ballasts mounted in your fairing near the radio itself?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

redpin04 said:
won't get my kit until Tuesday so I can't comment as of yet. However if they tell you anything let me know.

It's possible the ballast could be causing some interference but how you could shield from that I don't know.

Is it AM or FM both? Does it buzz with ipod as well? Weather station?

Depending where I'm at my AM has engine noise and interference.

Redpin,
I called today and after being on hold 2 different times, I got a tech.
He said they should check all grounding, wrap foil around the ballasts, and as I though, reposition the ballasts........Stay tuned

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
thanks for the update. My kit is near but not here yet. Can you comment on the quality of the lighting at least?

I'm leaving for the NH national meet in just over a week and I'm hoping this is a worthwhile upgrade.

Either way it wasn't expensive but I don't like wasting my time if I don't have to.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

THe light works great. Oddly high bean does not DOUBLE light output but you would notice it more on a back road in the woods.
I'm going to try and get the bike in soon to have him look at it.
I"m waiting to see about the poster here with the BMW LT who had no problems where he located the ballasts............

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Just any old foam? Thickness? etc.....??
the reason I ask is there's microfoam like a piece of steel or aluminum would come in, and then there's 3/4 carpet install foam............
BTW, how hard is it to get the fairing off? Just 10 or so bolts and 2 sets of hands?
And does everything pretty much sit still and you can just place the fairing on a blanket while you horse around, or do wires and harnesses have to be disconnected?
I thought about having my friend who's a car alarm guy, everything, installer take a look at it.
I can't get in till next Thursday at my dealer due to scheduling (mine and his) conflicts.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

UPDATE:
As the original poster, I ordered the DDM dual kit for my XC but it appears to be interferring with my radio reception. I got the dual kit55W 6000K color temp.
PITA!
So far after a return visit, my service mgr. has wrapped the ballasts in aluminum foil at the recommendation of DDM, and relocated the ballasts but same deal.
Redpin bought the same kit but only installed low beam and claims no radio problems.
I'm going to bring the bike back and see what they can try next.
1. Maybe one kit on low beam is all the Vic can handle if you have a radio?? I see the PIAA makes an EXtreme White Plus bulb Model: 70555 in an H11. So worst case, maybe I could do this for high beam if they can't get the radio to work right with the dual kit?
I just couldn't afford $500....................

I've now seen other reports on forums with HID/radio problems and some say they've had no problems.
Frustrating......................

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
as an update after removing my foam packaging and relocating the ballast I'm having reception issues as well. Seems like the foam insulated the noise from the ballast.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

redpin04 said:
as an update after removing my foam packaging and relocating the ballast I'm having reception issues as well. Seems like the foam insulated the noise from the ballast.
Redpin,
I just got mine back and they wrapped my speaker wires as well as wrapping the ballasts with foiland it seems to work better but I'm still seeing issues.
I'm told Victory locates their ballast under the driver seat, so it must be longer, so when I have time, I will see if I can find out EXACTLY how long the ballast is from Victory's kit and see if I can get one from DDM.
I would guess, there's no "Johnny's Ballast" store on line...........LOL
No one has made a super white H11 bulb for motorcycles yet, but I know sylvania is working on one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hey,
Can you find out about the physical length of the Vic HID ballast cables vs. what we have from DDM? If you have time?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.