VOG Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out of work and pulled my phone out of the saddlebags of my Cross Country and it would not respond due to overheating. It was over 100 degrees. My bike showed 107. That's why I'm hesitant to mount it on the handlebars for maps and such.
Whats your experience in hot climates?
Vertebrate Font Screenshot Communication Device Technology
Speedometer Vehicle Light Blue Gauge

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Never had a problem, it's a lot hotter in a closed up saddlebag than it is out in the wind.

Reactions: bobzinger

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have ridden in the 90 degree but never had an over heating problem with the phone mounted on the handle bars. I think the wind moving across the phone is cooling enough. I don't think I have ever ridden in temps above 100 degrees.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm in NC - so I have days in the mid 90's and don't have issues with the phone in my RAM mount. I have also spent a full week camping in Arkansas where temps consistently hit 100, and I mostly kept my phone in my pocket or on the mount when I needed navigation, and had no issue that week (other than overheating myself).

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Passing through parts of NV, AZ, NM and TX I had this happen on several occasions. At one point it actually shut the phone off. It was between 99 and 117 during those days. I'd just take it off the mount and put it in my saddlebag or pocket for awhile.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It would be interesting to see what the temp in a XC saddlebag gets up to after cruising it for awhile and heating up the pipes. Im betting it gets hotter In the bag than on the handle bar mount.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've thought about using my phone for gps bit I use a Garmin. It cost a lot less than my phone if it does cause a problem.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Don't know about yours but my saddlebags get pretty dang hot inside. Easily hotter than the outside air.

I have friends though who with handlebar mounted phones in the sun have same overheating message. It's an iPhone thing.

·
Super Moderator
26,122 Posts
I recall ever having this problem on my bike and have been in plenty of triple digits.

I have had it happen in my truck several times. When it's hot line that I point a vent at it.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
It would be interesting to see what the temp in a XC saddlebag gets up to after cruising it for awhile and heating up the pipes. Im betting it gets hotter In the bag than on the handle bar mount.
Surprisingly no, the temp in the bags doesn't really increase with the pipes, there's plenty of space between the mufflers and the bottom of the bags, plenty of air flow and the ABS acts as a little bit of an insulator. In 90+, I've dropped in a 10lb bag of ice and some water bottles and it'll last at least 5-6 hrs. Also, even though they are sealed by line-x they still drain somehow... a mystery I've yet to solve.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Surprisingly no, the temp in the bags doesn't really increase with the pipes, there's plenty of space between the mufflers and the bottom of the bags, plenty of air flow and the ABS acts as a little bit of an insulator. In 90+, I've dropped in a 10lb bag of ice and some water bottles and it'll last at least 5-6 hrs. Also, even though they are sealed by line-x they still drain somehow... a mystery I've yet to solve.
on a trip last summer I used a small soft Cooler for drinks during the day. The ice wouldn't last the day. Maybe 5 to 6 hours and all I'd have was a wet cooler with no ice.
And yes, somehow the water drains out somewhere.
Inside the bags seemed extremely hot to me.

·
Super Moderator
26,122 Posts
I know on my Visions the pipes heat up the bottom of my bags pretty good. Certainly enough to feel when I pull something out from the bottom after a run.

Reactions: 13SicVic

·
Registered
778 Posts
I usually keep the phone in my pocket and never had an overheating issue riding like that. I did have my iphone on the handlebar once to charge it, parked at a overlook in the sun at 98 deg. and the phone overheated and shut down. As long as the air is blasting it, shouldn't be an issue. If you stop in the sun, pocket it.

Reactions: 13SicVic
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.