VOG Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Its been a long time since ive been on. Ive got a problem that i want to run by y'all a see if im on the right track. Here's the story: i have a 12 highball with 45k on it. Ive never done any of the normal mods and its all stock other than coring the mufflers at 20k miles. No intake or filter mods. No tuner. O2s connected. All has been well. Some time ago had a spill and scratched up the mufflers but rode it for at least 20k like that. Then the other day i decided to mess around and "improve" the looks and made some slip ons for it. I used 2.25 pipe 14" long and put 10" perforated 1.75 in glass wrapped baffles in them. They sounded good and it ran the same. No problems till last night. Check engine light popped on then went out. I stopped and looked it over. Nothing obvious so i headed home. Light come on and went out once more. The code displayed is 0520205 17. Lean cyl 2. So i figured i pushed my luck with my homemade slipons and put my cored stockers back on. I cleaned the main ground and checked the battery too. Test ride and the code is back in 2 miles. Never has it displayed any performance change during this situation. I have never disconnected the o2s before but i did on the way back just in case i was really lean for some reason. Of course this cleared the light but now im concerned im actually lean and since the o2s are being ignored, I'm unable to tell. I dont believe i am though. So im thinking i either have a janky sensor or perhaps a leaking header gasket that i cant see or hear. The later is possible since i didnt have a rear bracket holding my lil slipons. (I do now with the oe mufflers). So what do you guys think is going on? A. I have a bad sensor
B. I have a leak feeding the sensor oxygen.
C. I have a real lean condition on the rear cylinder. I appreciate all thoughts. Even the ones that will call me crazy for running the o2s and stock tune. Lol

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
what do the spark plugs look like. If they have been in for some time get new ones. Take a good 50 mile ride before looking at them.
Even post a photo of what your plugs look like now

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I pulled plugs and read them last night. I'm happy to say they looked fine. I understand if my problem is recent this means little but I take comfort knowing its been ok until now at least. I have not changed fuel filters but admit i need to by now. In an effort to isolate the problem i went to swap the o2s. I found the problem at that point. The rear pipe is cracked diagnally around the pipe at the o2 bung under the heat shield. Im surprised i didnt hear it. Thats on me for failing to mount the new little slipons with a bracket. It cracked within a week. Lesson learned. Mount your slipons securely. Dont be like me. Lol luckily i have another set of stock headpipes. I'll get some gaskets and put them on forthwith. Its time for plugs and filters too. Looks like busy saturday coming up for me. Thanks again for letting me pick your brains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.