VOG Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how you guys change the tires on your victories, in particular the XC since I am thinking about getting one. I have this jack. If I recall correctly ther eis no frame on the bottom of a Victory so how do you safely get the bike off the ground?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I can't say officially since I don't own an XC but like the other Vic's you pick them up by the bottom of the crankcase since that is the lowest point. I have been assured by KevinX that the crankcase is plenty strong.

While the Craftsman style jacks are OK weight capacity wise, they are questionable when it comes to side to side stability. If you have read my other posts on the subject, I am rather opinionated about jacks for safety reasons.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I modified my craftman lift. I current have a yamaha vstar. It has a wide frame. I had to get the H piece of the lift extended by 3 inches. I then drilled holes in it for tie downs.

As long as I can get the bike off the ground for storage, that's my main concern. Also being mobile is nice to push the bike to the front of the garage for winter storage.

·
Registered
239 Posts

I have the same jack which worked great for my last bike, but...
It doesn't work too well with the Cross Country due to the fact that the bottom of the engine has a kind of rib that runs from front to back which, when lifted up, makesthe bikeunstable from side to side. Plus theplacement of the kickstand if left in the down position interferes with the jack placement. Also the two "forks" of the lift are almost too wide for the bottom of the engine. This leaves little room for front/back adjustment.
Mine is on the lift now but only partlyjust to keep the bike vertical, but since the kickstand is down for safety I could only locate the front "fork" of the lift in front of the kickstand. This lifts up the front wheel but leaves alot of the weight still on the rear. Plus I didn't want all the bikes weight on the rib. I think the solution is to cut a notch in the rubber "forks" to accept the rib, then it should be OK, but only if the kickstand is in the up position. Alternatively, additional pads could be placed on the "forks" of the lift so that there is space for the rib to not bedirectly supported.
The bottom line here is that the jack needs some modification to properly work with the cross bikes.
CAP

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Yep, I have heard all about people lifting Visions and Cross bike with the red Craftsman lifts but I don't buy it as a proper solution.

I think what is ultimately needed is a cradle adapter to match the contour of the engine case that will mount on a Pit Bull or J&S lift. THEN you'll have something that I would feel comfortable using to remove the wheels and do anything beyond changing the oil.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Actually, I'm wondering if the GL1800 adapter for the J&S lift would do the trick? It looks like it might provide 2 points of lift vs. the center rib.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what does the manual say about winter storage? Even my Yamaha says to get the wheels off the ground to avoid flat spots.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
SirP said:
So what does the manual say about winter storage? Even my Yamaha says to get the wheels off the ground to avoid flat spots.
Motorcycles spend months on the side stand at the dealership before someone comes along and buys them. I don't think a few winter months are a problem that the first heat cycle in the tires won't cure.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

I have that same jack and have safely lifted a Victory V92C, V92TCD, Hammer S and currently my Vision TP. All Vics have the frame rails above the engine, all Vics have the seam in the center, all Vics have the motor as a stress member that acts as part on the frame.
Once I have it up all the way, I use 4 straps. Two in the front and 2 rear. Once off the ground it will tilt to one side or the other and stay there. Until you try this you will not know how safe it is.I also do not put the bike on the jack for the winter. I have left a bike on this jack for weeks, waiting on parts, but never concerned about the tires or suspension over a extendedperiod.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
bubba said:
I have that same jack and have safely lifted a Victory V92C, V92TCD, Hammer S and currently my Vision TP. All Vics have the frame rails above the engine, all Vics have the seam in the center, all Vics have the motor as a stress member that acts as part on the frame.
Once I have it up all the way, I use 4 straps. Two in the front and 2 rear. Once off the ground it will tilt to one side or the other and stay there. Until you try this you will not know how safe it is.I also do not put the bike on the jack for the winter. I have left a bike on this jack for weeks, waiting on parts, but never concerned about the tires or suspension over a extendedperiod.
Each to their own but i have tried it and do not like the stability. Call it a personal preference but teetering on the center rib with 4 straps isn't what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

Teetering with 4 straps? I don't think so??? Guess we agree to disagree

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
bubba said:
Teetering with 4 straps? I don't think so??? Guess we agree to disagree
I'm sure it doesn't teeter after the 4 straps are put on but that's more work than I want to do just to lift the bike. I'll see what J&S has to say regarding an adapter / cradle.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I emailed Victory asking how they suggest to store a motorcycle in winter - will see what they respond with.

The typical winter storage of a bike should be:
1. Full tank of fuel to prevent rust developing in the tank.
2. Fuel stabilizer also helps prevent rust.
3. Drain carbs if you have carbs.
4. Change oil.
5. Remove battery - store in warm location - use battery tender if needed.
6. Get bike off ground so you don't develop flat spots as the air pressure lowers due to condensing.
7. Cover to keep dust and salt off (which the car tracks into the garage).

If you don't understand this I bet you live in a warmer area. When your bike is in storage for 4-5 months and some winter days can get to -20 or below this is what you need to do. You don't want all the bike's weight on the tires for several months when the air pressure is lower due to cold condensing it. If you cannot get the bike off the ground the next best thing is get the bike on wood or thick rubber. Cement, asphalt, stone, and ground are bad.

If the crankcase is strong enough I could get someone to help modify the H piece on the jack to fit the bike better.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts

Clubford00 said:
Bubba what design did you come up with for the sides of your lift for your feet?
No design at all, just the way it came.I really (in my case)have no issue.Itsettles on the lift, I jack it up as high as it will go and tie it down. All my bikes have a sweet spot as to where you place the jack. You need to find this on your bike. I will jack it up at first about 3 inches shake the bike both side to side and front to back to find the right spot.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Didnt you have an issue with a lift?
I thought you had an issue with putting your feet down after riding onto the lift.
Or am i thinking of someone else?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Clubford00 said:
Didnt you have an issue with a lift?
I thought you had an issue with putting your feet down after riding onto the lift.
Or am i thinking of someone else?
That is the table lift I just purchased used. I bought 12 inch side extensions that will be delivered on Monday that will give me the extra fooy on each side. Should make it easier to get on the lift mounted or walking it up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.