VOG Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a few months ago I ordered some 12” moto bars from FMB Choppers. I really liked the look and height of the bars but I didn’t like the fact that there wasn’t any pullback. I kept riding to see if I would become comfortable with them or not. Even after a few months, I still found my elbows hurt on long rides.

The other night, while surfing the ‘net, a mental pic of the adjustable Arlen Ness apes for Harleys came to mind. I decided to cut my bars and do something similar.

I ordered some steel rollcage clamps that had an inside diameter of 1.25” to match my bars and had an overall length of 2.222” so that they would fit the short angled pieces of my FMB bars.

With the weather being crap today, I decided to try my idea. Figured the worse case was that I’d end up welding the bars where I wanted and having them re-powder coated.

I think they came out well. Now having pullback is much more comfortable and I’m not totally against the clamps. Still not sure if I’ll end up welding them, once I figure out where I want them or if I’ll just paint the clamps and call it good.

First 2 pics are the FMB 12” motos before any cutting.
Third pic shows one side done and one side not done.
Last 2 pics show the end result.

·
Registered
865 Posts
So, a few months ago I ordered some 12" moto bars from FMB Choppers. I really liked the look and height of the bars but I didn't like the fact that there wasn't any pullback. I kept riding to see if I would become comfortable with them or not. Even after a few months, I still found my elbows hurt on long rides.

The other night, while surfing the 'net, a mental pic of the adjustable Arlen Ness apes for Harleys came to mind. I decided to cut my bars and do something similar.

I ordered some steel rollcage clamps that had an inside diameter of 1.25" to match my bars and had an overall length of 2.222" so that they would fit the short angled pieces of my FMB bars.

With the weather being crap today, I decided to try my idea. Figured the worse case was that I'd end up welding the bars where I wanted and having them re-powder coated.

I think they came out well. Now having pullback is much more comfortable and I'm not totally against the clamps. Still not sure if I'll end up welding them, once I figure out where I want them or if I'll just paint the clamps and call it good.

First 2 pics are the FMB 12" motos before any cutting.
Third pic shows one side done and one side not done.
Last 2 pics show the end result.
Nice work.

Similar to the Ness Modular bars I I have, I needed to get mine to pull back. I have extended mine as well without using clamps but I have mine so that the longer end of the modular clamps are at the bars instead of the ends, then have them pulled out about 1.5 inches. I didn't like the fit that way as they are 1.25 to 1, so I used a piece of bathroom sink pipe (yep, don't laugh, it's chrome) and filled the void. You really can't tell they are extended. On this photo, where the zip tie is at is where the seam is at and on the other side, there's a clamp for the cup holder. I also used a large press to flatten the curve out so that they are less angled upward. Worked out great as you'rs seem to have as well. Personally, weld them but be sure where you want them. I have moved mine several times til I got what is the most comfortable for me so run the clamps for a while til your sure.

Pullback is important. I hate leaning over forward, specially with your legs forward. Ingenuity is the necessity of invention.

View attachment 483489

Reactions: crazy4ink

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice work.

Similar to the Ness Modular bars I I have, I needed to get mine to pull back. I have extended mine as well without using clamps but I have mine so that the longer end of the modular clamps are at the bars instead of the ends, then have them pulled out about 1.5 inches. I didn't like the fit that way as they are 1.25 to 1, so I used a piece of bathroom sink pipe (yep, don't laugh, it's chrome) and filled the void. You really can't tell they are extended. On this photo, where the zip tie is at is where the seam is at and on the other side, there's a clamp for the cup holder. I also used a large press to flatten the curve out so that they are less angled upward. Worked out great as you'rs seem to have as well. Personally, weld them but be sure where you want them. I have moved mine several times til I got what is the most comfortable for me so run the clamps for a while til your sure.

Pullback is important. I hate leaning over forward, specially with your legs forward. Ingenuity is the necessity of invention.

View attachment 483489
Looks good man! Yeah, I'm going to run them as is for a bit. I'm sure I'll reposition a few times. Once I get to a point where I don't change for a week or so, then I'll probably weld them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure you two will make a nice couple.

Oh wait! Did you mean 'weld' them? Just razzin' ya.

Seriously though; why would you weld them? The adjustability is pretty cool.
I don't know that I will weld them. I was only thinking of that option to be sure it wouldn't move suddenly while I'm riding. While I don't believe this is really a possibility, my last name is Murphy. I don't try to ride wheelies or ride it like I'm in a Moto GP race so I don't think it will be an issue.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
When welding handlebars I thought I read someplace the preferred method was slugs inside the tube to reinforce the joint.
As you said, leave the clamps until you get it right. I went about in a different way and it took me a year to make sure before
I had them chromed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.