VOG Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I talked to Gustafsson Plastics Inc. about making me a special windshield for the XC. I have had them make one for my Honda XX and FZ-1. They worked great and you decide how tall / wide / color and if you want a Lip-Spoiler on it or not. Since I like looking over the windshield, I'm going to order 2 or 3 inches taller with a Lip-spoiler and have it ina dark smoke. I'll send my windshield off so they can make the mold and in about 3 weeks I'll have both shields back. It will cost me $130 to have him make one and send it back. I'll have to pay for myshield to be shipped to St. Augustine FL. The only draw back isthat he does not drill the holes for the mounts on the fairing. You must do that job which is not to hard. A dremalwith a cone bit did the job for me. IfI could only post PICS?? I'm going to have toe-mail some one with the pics so they can post them.It's snowing here in Reno so I have time to up grade.. Need EXHAUST!!!
2 into 1 would be nice so when some hears were and when I can check it out...Give me a heads up..Thanks

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Bigmex, great info, you might want to solicit people here and other places to maybe have one made for them as well. If you get enough people to go in on it it would probably save you a ton of money and the company would love the extra sales im sure.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
One thing you should think about as you start making the shield taller is the top lip shape. The stock shield is a long arc between the points where it meets the faring but the tall shield has a more traditional/flatter profile. If you take the stock shield and simply add 2" you'll end up with a tall part in the middle and sides that allow a lot of air to hit your shoulders. The air on your shoulders will move you around, especially if there's no wind on your head. You should consider flattening the top profile, something like going up 2" in the middle and 4" on the sides. That will still maintain an arc but it will be more gradual and possibly allow you to go with a shorter overall shield.

I forgot about Gustafsson Plastic but I'm only about 40 miles south of them and I have both the stock and tall shields. I won't have time to visit them until the week between Christmas and New Years but I will ride up there with both shields and see what they suggest. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I believe he can put the lip all the way on top. I think the square top would look funny. Maybe a little square but that will be up to him, he's the pro.. I'm going to tape a line where the faring and shield meet and do a detailed list of what I want. That's what I did with the other ones he made me. I also called him to make sure everthing was clear with the instructions. Once he has a copy of mine (mold) then the other XC owners can just order different sizes ect...

·
Registered
239 Posts

I would appreciate you keeping me updated on this.
I won't be riding my XC until March or April but since I'll have the mid height (stock) shield, I may want a taller one.
Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
same here, the more options though the better. I'm content with the standard overall but a taller one may be nicer on long trips.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The little lip on the shield should throw the air over your head. The air hits me just above my eyes (stock shield).. Summer this is ok. I had the lip on the FJR1300 and it worked great. I looked over the shield and the air just passed my helmet. Last year was the first year I had a half helmet. It was nice and Ienjoyed the summer months. A taller shield maybe just a little will help with the lip and still look cool. No barn door for me...not yet..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I forgot about Gustafsson Plastic but I'm only about 40 miles south of them and I have both the stock and tall shields. I won't have time to visit them until the week between Christmas and New Years but I will ride up there with both shields and see what they suggest. Thanks for the heads up.

[/quote]
Well he got the shield and we talked about what he can do with it. I left it up to him...He's the pro..All I asked is 2 inches with a lip but make it pretty.. We'll see what he has done by Wednesday. He said he was going to send me a pick or two.. Any one know were I can get taller black mirrors? I bought DS Ness Mirrors but sure this produuct will stand up. I really dont care about price but make them be worth it.....

·
Registered
13 Posts

Bigmex, please let us know about the windshield. I need a taller shield, I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I'm really not looking forward to forking over $350 for the taller shield, but I definately need something that helps.
Brynn

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bchilders said:
Bigmex, please let us know about the windshield. I need a taller shield, I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I'm really not looking forward to forking over $350 for the taller shield, but I definately need something that helps.
Brynn
No problem. He's making the mold from my windshield so you can order one taller if you wish. I'm 5'11" and just need 2 inches with the spoiler. Hopefully this should be good enough. A soon as I get it I'll post it. The shield is easy to take off 4 bolts and pull up EASY.... If not tall enough then I'll order a taller one for winter and have this one for summer??? I'll find out when I get it...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I'm off tomorrow and the weather should cooperate so I could take a ride up to St. Augustine and he can mock it up on my bike to check fit.

Give him a call to see if that's something he would want to do and let me know.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Well, their phone is not answered and they didn't respond to my email so I don't know if I'll be able to get a look at their handywork tomorrow. I'll probably still ride up there since it's supposed to be a nice day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

mjw930 said:
Well, their phone is not answered and they didn't respond to my email so I don't know if I'll be able to get a look at their handywork tomorrow. I'll probably still ride up there since it's supposed to be a nice day.
Sometimes he doesnt answer till the evening. Maybe busy making it and others. If you live close I would stop buy.. Nothing like a real test fit so I dont have to adjust (sand, grind) it as much. Then he will know for sure and you may have some input too.. Remember function and looks are important... Keep me posted
Thanks

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Bigmex said:
mjw930 said:
Sometimes he doesnt answer till the evening. Maybe busy making it and others. If you live close I would stop buy.. Nothing like a real test fit so I dont have to adjust (sand, grind) it as much. Then he will know for sure and you may have some input too.. Remember function and looks are important... Keep me posted
Thanks
Good, then I'll take a ride up and check them out. I was looking for an excuse to ride since I've taken the rest of the year off :)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I made it up to Gustafsson Plastics this afternoon and had a nice chat with the owner. He's an interesting guy with lots of stories.

He was glad to get a look at the bike and commented that the way they implemented the vent, with the upturned area behind it to force the air up, was one of the best he's seen.

He's a bit hampered with the holidays but he's going to get on finishing Bigmex's shield as well as making one that's 4" taller than the stock shield with no lip. He's thinking, like I am, that in this application the lip may not get you waht you're looking for. It doesn't work on every application but he's not discounting it until he gets it made and we try it out. He's going to give me a call when he has both prototypes made and I'm going to ride up and spend the day trying them out.

Obviously he'll make yours as you wanted it but before he ships it he wants my feedback and he'll talk to you about it if it's not pushing the air up but rather making more turbulence as we suspect.

It's probably going to be after the new year before he gets them finished to the point we can test so I guess patience is a virtue here.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping us up to date with this item.
Even though I've only been able to log about an hour behind the stock shield I'm thinking I might want it a little bit higher.
Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

mjw930 said:
I made it up to Gustafsson Plastics this afternoon and had a nice chat with the owner. He's an interesting guy with lots of stories.

He was glad to get a look at the bike and commented that the way they implemented the vent, with the upturned area behind it to force the air up, was one of the best he's seen.

He's a bit hampered with the holidays but he's going to get on finishing Bigmex's shield as well as making one that's 4" taller than the stock shield with no lip. He's thinking, like I am, that in this application the lip may not get you waht you're looking for. It doesn't work on every application but he's not discounting it until he gets it made and we try it out. He's going to give me a call when he has both prototypes made and I'm going to ride up and spend the day trying them out.

Obviously he'll make yours as you wanted it but before he ships it he wants my feedback and he'll talk to you about it if it's not pushing the air up but rather making more turbulence as we suspect.

It's probably going to be after the new year before he gets them finished to the point we can test so I guess patience is a virtue here.
I'm glad you stopped in. I know it's going to be tough to test a new product that can be used by other riders including your self LOL.... and have some input (lucky dog). I expected it would be after the new year but here in Reno NV there is snow on the ground so no riding for a couple of weeks.
On my order I wanted 2 inche higher with a lip or spoiler to lift the air just over my helmet ( this may cause back pressure but that's ok for me) The FJR windshield I had with the spoiler did it but nothings perfect. I can go maybe 3 inches taller. I like looking over the windshield but that's me. I was thinking of mocking a lip/spoiler about 2 inches high and have one made (Metal)and bolt it on to thestock shield. Then powder coat or chrome it.
You know you're going to have to drill the holes for my shield when you test it? or duck tape it????

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.