VOG Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
Vehicle Automotive lighting Fuel tank Hood Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
since the OEM lowers are harder to find than a unicorn and I did not want the hinges covering up the Ness paintwork , I decided to fabricate my own .
They are made from Lexan sheet including the hinges. I mounted the hinge to the inside of the fairing with clear Gorrilla mounting tape. They are nearly invisible.
I'll see how they hold up at 70mph and report back.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Impressive! Mad respect for people who have those skills. You know of course that if your report is successful, you'll be bombarded with requests to "make me a set", let me be the first...

Hey, would you be interested and willing ? and how much to make me a set? :)

Ride safe, looking forward to the report...
Smokier

·
Registered
27 Posts
looks like a new marketing part ... i have the original from my 2011 that were on it for over 150,000 km and i am working to remove them from the old and reinstall on the new 2011 i just got. if not then will have to also try some fabrication as i do not want to go without them just makes too big a difference in heat displacement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Huh... that looks awesome... I was considering fabricating the mounts from solid aluminium similar to how the stock ones look but yours looks way easier and nicer!

I guess I haven't ridden enough in hot weather to find them necessary yet though.

Edit: They also look like they match the uppers better visually.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lowers worked great until one came off! Luckily I grabbed it before it broke loose.
had them open all the way and get a nice stream of air blowing the heat from my legs. It will be 49 deg Saturday morning so I 'll try them closed.

Don't use Clear Gorilla mounting tape for anything automotive that gets stress!
It peeled right off the mount and paint and I re-installed them with 3M Trim mounting tape which is holding fast at 70mph so far.
I may re do these using 3/16 lexan as they do vibrate a bit at speed. The thicker material would be stiffer. I think that will be a winter project and these will work for now.
If anyone wishes to make these I can scan and post the drawings after I clean them up. You will need a plastic bender/heater to form the lexan. I made one from a 500watt heater element with a wall dimmer switch to control the heat. I would not recommend trying to use Acrylic as it tends to crack to easily when stressed.
Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.