Cross Country Wind Management the Ness Way - New Ness XC Windshield and Deflectors | Victory Motorcycles: Motorcycle Forums

Cross Country Wind Management the Ness Way - New Ness XC Windshield and Deflectors

Discussion in 'Victory General Discussion' started by Nessie044, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Nessie044

Nessie044 Well-Known Member

Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding:
    2013 Vision
    Here are a few pictures of the Ness solution to the XC's buffeting problem. Took this demo out today, and at 85 mph, my glasses fluttered a little, but did not experience any of the "head in a paint shaker" buffeting that I did on all the stock XCs I've ridden. Since these should be in their catalog next month, Kevin gave me permission to post these photos. No idea what the price will be, but you can probably tell from the pictures that these parts are top shelf, as is everything that Ness sells. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

That actually looks pretty good, kind of like the Harley ones but in black plastic instead. I like 'em! I'll bet that they work too.

3. bikendad

bikendad Well-Known Member

2010 Victory Cross Country
    Damn nice looking, do you know how tall the w/shield is and if they have different heights available?

4. TCB-1

TCB-1 New Member

I like! Just hope that Ness does not want to rape folks on the $$$$

5. elooker

elooker New Member

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2010 Aprilia Dorsoduro, 2011 Triumph Speed Triple, 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    I'll bet they are going to cost a lot. I hope I'm wrong, but they will be low volume like everything else for Victory bikes.

6. diamondrmp

diamondrmp New Member

Jackpot
    I saw those lowers on Arlen's XC on the showroom floor. The only problem I see is that there is a good 4 to 6 inches of non secured lowers from the bottom mounting bolt. I'm assuming that Ness is using the axle to somewhat secure it but I don't think that is very safe. My concern is that over time it will start to stress! They do look really cool and the ones on Arlen's were painted and I think metal. [​IMG]

7. bikendad

I'm thinking it would be easy enough to shorten them up a bit if you so choose.

8. Nessie044

Nessie044 Well-Known Member

2013 Vision
    For anyone interested, these are finally in the new Ness catalog. Flip shield $169 Lowers $299 Currently, the shield is only available in one size. I didn't get a measurement, but it looks pretty close to the height of the stock shield. As far as I know, the parts are only available in dark smoke.
    You are correct about the unsecured length of the lowers, but they do not contact the axle or any part of the shock. I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but part of the mounting hardware includes heavy felt washers where the lowers bolt on. I'm guessing this would provide for the necessary strain-relief. These are Ness-engineered parts, so you can be sure that they're done right. Their reputation was built on first-class quality and engineering.

9. bikendad

Still no X bike section on the Ness website!!

10. Tommy victory

Tommy victory Member

2014 victory cross country 8 ball lloydz vfclll,lloydz air filter,lloyds timing wheel,ness big honkers.
    I put a 13 inch shield on my Xc from rifle fairings I'm almost 6-4 and it works great did 400 miles pain free on a upstate run through the Catskills only 130.00 I'm sure with lowers it would be even better shopping them now all of them are pretty expensive around 300.00 for the quality looking ones

11. AF-Rider

AF-Rider Member

2014 Victory Cross Country
    I've had the lowers for a long time now. They work & no worries regarding fears of them breaking.

12. Chilly1

Chilly1 Member

2014 Victory Cross Country
    I put on Ness lowers yesterday in an attempt to control buffeting issues. Install was pretty straightforward and they look good. Got out for a 60 mile ride today and for me they work as advertised, in fact for me they work too good. At 75 the pocket of quiet air was the best I have experienced on my CC. The issue is now I understand how much heat this bike generates. It was 84 degrees here today and I was missing that airflow. They are coming off tonight and going on the shelf until it gets colder. I am thinking I may use the mounting hardware and make a set of lowers that are about half as long, maybe that will give me the best of both worlds.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Demps

Demps New Member

2014 victory vegas 8 ball
    Hey guys, after buying my vegas i am finding it difficult to cut wind and make long distance trip bearable. I have bought a bat wing and that has cut down the wind in my upper section but i am still getting beat up in my chest. I was curious if i bought this fork deflector if this would solve my problem???

Any thoughts or suggestion?

14. Daddio

Daddio Well-Known Member

'13 XCT Road-Grime Brown, '09 Buell XB12XT Ulysses, the faster black one
    @Demps , I usually just rise up in the seat a little, sometimes, I just lean over some; the rest of your problems I can't help you with.