VOG Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
The XCT trunk is light and mounted low. A passenger is far more taxing than a trunk.

I've had my trunk on all but 1 day since I rode down to NC to pick it up. I can't tell it's back there until I put a 35 pack of water in it. Even then it's hardly noticeable.
I have to disagree, I leave mine off 99% of the time. The bike handles MUCH nicer and easier with the trunk off and it's not so top heavy. Even on the freeway that damn trunk catches wind and moves the bike around unless you have a passenger back there.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I have to disagree, I leave mine off 99% of the time. The bike handles MUCH nicer and easier with the trunk off and it's not so top heavy. Even on the freeway that damn trunk catches wind and moves the bike around unless you have a passenger back there.
When I need extra space on my Vision I would rather use water proof bag on the rear than have to install the top heavy top box. The Krega holds more and keeps the COG low so does not effect handling

·
Registered
3,513 Posts

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I have to disagree.
The XR have have the fairing on or off in less than a minute, but the XC cannot have the fairing easily removed as everything is integrated in it including the headlight.
The trunk pops on and off of either bike the same however.
The lowers are good in colder weather, but I prefer running without lowers to avoid the heat by having more air flow.
When I say turning a Cross roads into a cross country I mean the cost of adding a XCT fairing and hardware. Adding heated grips, heated seat. I mean literally changing the bike from a Cross roads into a XCT. The example you gave was simply adding a fairing. A Crossroads with a fairing is not a Cross Country.
Whether or not the OP wants more amenities or less is his choice. Starting with an XCT just allows him more choices right off the bat.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
It's a little easier to get the bike off the kickstand for me but that is the only real notable difference I feel going between the two bikes. Maybe a little responsive when lane splitting. But once up to speed the difference is negligible. But that is my experience.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle
I own a 2008 Vegas. It's the best bike I've ever owned. Just took it on a PA - Key West - PA trip. Ran flawlessly and was a great ride. I'll keep the Vegas for local riding but obviously it's not the best bike for long distance riding. I am interested in the Cross bikes for more comfort, cruise, more fuel, more storage, etc. Thought I wanted a Cross Country but in doing some searching, I've got a line on a nice Cross Roads Classic and it's starting to grow on me. I realize a lot of it is subjective but I'd be interested in hearing any/all opinions as I try to make a choice. Cheers
What about the Magnum?

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
View attachment 525207
From a Vegas rider..
Magnum sure looks slick!
The Magnum is nice as well. You are not going to find a nicer factory paint job on a Cross Bike. Do they all have ABS? Cruise control?
I stand by my assertion that the XCT has the most factory installed amenities.
But again, it depends on what the OP is looking for.
There is no such thing as the perfect bike. You have to make it your own.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
The Magnum is nice as well. You are not going to find a nicer factory paint job on a Cross Bike. Do they all have ABS? Cruise control?
I stand by my assertion that the XCT has the most factory installed amenities.
But again, it depends on what the OP is looking for.
There is no such thing as the perfect bike. You have to make it your own.
So so many good recommendations
He has lots of info to digest

Ohhhhh cruise control!!!

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
It's a little easier to get the bike off the kickstand for me but that is the only real notable difference I feel going between the two bikes. Maybe a little responsive when lane splitting. But once up to speed the difference is negligible. But that is my experience.
View attachment 525207
From a Vegas rider..
Magnum sure looks slick!
yes ! You said slick ! Make that beauty slickier and put some Spectro in there ! Nice Bike !!!!!

Reactions: Bujee1

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sorry it took so long to reply. Thanks to everyone for their input. As I said in my original post, I rode from PA to Key West and back on my Vegas and it didn't kill me. The biggest shortcomings on the trip were no cruise control, saddlebags were to small, and the ride is a bit stiff for longer rides. I have music and turn by turn directions right to my SENA Cavalry Bluetooth half helmet so I really don't need a stereo. Honestly, I think a CR would probably fir the bill. As for the Vision, I'm sure it's a great bike but it's just a bit to "new-age" for me. Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Sorry it took so long to reply. Thanks to everyone for their input. As I said in my original post, I rode from PA to Key West and back on my Vegas and it didn't kill me. The biggest shortcomings on the trip were no cruise control, saddlebags were to small, and the ride is a bit stiff for longer rides. I have music and turn by turn directions right to my SENA Cavalry Bluetooth half helmet so I really don't need a stereo. Honestly, I think a CR would probably fir the bill. As for the Vision, I'm sure it's a great bike but it's just a bit to "new-age" for me. Thanks again for all the input.
Man ...... you got to tour a Cross Country brother.
After almost 9yrs I care to not ride anything else.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Bear in mind that you are buying a bike that is no longer manufactured. That said, the greater numbers of your bike on the road or produced, the greater availability of parts and accessories. The only way to possibly circumvent that is to buy a bike with all the parts and accessories on it already. Either strategy will lead you to the Crosscountry Tour. I know the Vision has been around longer, but did they ultimately make more of them? Also, check the vendors who still carry Victory. Do they have more X bike parts or Vision parts? And when traveling, the storage available on the Vision is NOT something that the Vision Pilots brag about. Think about that.
Now back to the XCT:
It's got heated grips, seats, cruise control and ABS. Every single year. That cannot be said of every XC. Yes, the platform is similar for all of the Cross bikes so many parts are interchangeable. But remember, it is easier to turn a XCT into a Cross roads than to turn a Crossroads into a XCT.
My vote: Start with an XCT and make it your own.
For instance, if I had room for another bike it would look like this:

but I'd start with a XCT

• Winner
Reactions: slickvic

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
View attachment 526089
For instance, if I had room for another bike it would look like this:

but I'd start with a XCT
Man I am totally digging the Beach bars / Board walk bars. Really makes the lines on the bike look longer.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Not long after I bought my 2nd vic for myself ( went from an 02 V92C to an 08 KPT) my buddy decided it was time to get him a bigger bike. Like me, he'd had a Suzuki Volusia and while one of the best bang-for-the-buck cruisers out there it just didn't keep up with the speed limits being upped to 65 highway. Anyways.. he went full boat XCT with the ginormous trunk, lowers, the works. He let me take it for a ride and while nice (it is a Vic after all) it just wasn't 'me'. Down the road a bit I took my KPT (now an 07 since the 08 had so many dealer-caused issues) in to get some stuff done and they gave me an XR to ride all I wanted for about a week. The difference between the way the 2 handled was staggering. They were so sure I was gonna buy the XR when I came back to pick up my KPT they had the paperwork started.. I hated to burst their bubble but while that XR was nice.. it just couldn't hold a candle to my KPT (to me).

Few years down the road now and I bought me an XC. The one thing I didn't do is get that tank of a trunk. I had fallen in love with having a trunk, so I bought a 2nd hand XC that had a cool rack on the back and I took the trunk off my KPT and put it on the XC. I think it looks badass and although it can't hold quite as much as the OEM trunk it weighs practically nothing. I can put my full face, my leather jacket and my chaps/gloves in there and lock it. I can put 4 large bags of groceries in it when I go shopping. Hell, I can carry all my wifes' crap when she comes along.. and we all know how much crap that can add up to. The only thing that would make it better is if it was quick detach.. but I'm not even sure I would ever remove it. If I was doing a lot of moto-camping still I might...nothing beats a rack to stack stuff on unless you pull a wagon behind you.

Moral of this long winded story: If I was gonna be in the market for another XC/XR.. I'd get a Magnum, put on a quick detach luggage rack and get a lightweight trunk to put on it. I guess some guys think they need to have quadraphonic stereo that comes with the OEM trunk but to me that extra weight is just a NO. Before you buy one try one w/out that kiloton brick on the back and go hit a backroad or 2. Maybe you'll have a different opinion, but at least that way you'll know if you mind it or not.

·
Registered
12,859 Posts
Not long after I bought my 2nd vic for myself ( went from an 02 V92C to an 08 KPT) my buddy decided it was time to get him a bigger bike. Like me, he'd had a Suzuki Volusia and while one of the best bang-for-the-buck cruisers out there it just didn't keep up with the speed limits being upped to 65 highway. Anyways.. he went full boat XCT with the ginormous trunk, lowers, the works. He let me take it for a ride and while nice (it is a Vic after all) it just wasn't 'me'. Down the road a bit I took my KPT (now an 07 since the 08 had so many dealer-caused issues) in to get some stuff done and they gave me an XR to ride all I wanted for about a week. The difference between the way the 2 handled was staggering. They were so sure I was gonna buy the XR when I came back to pick up my KPT they had the paperwork started.. I hated to burst their bubble but while that XR was nice.. it just couldn't hold a candle to my KPT (to me).

Few years down the road now and I bought me an XC. The one thing I didn't do is get that tank of a trunk. I had fallen in love with having a trunk, so I bought a 2nd hand XC that had a cool rack on the back and I took the trunk off my KPT and put it on the XC. I think it looks badass and although it can't hold quite as much as the OEM trunk it weighs practically nothing. I can put my full face, my leather jacket and my chaps/gloves in there and lock it. I can put 4 large bags of groceries in it when I go shopping. Hell, I can carry all my wifes' crap when she comes along.. and we all know how much crap that can add up to. The only thing that would make it better is if it was quick detach.. but I'm not even sure I would ever remove it. If I was doing a lot of moto-camping still I might...nothing beats a rack to stack stuff on unless you pull a wagon behind you.

Moral of this long winded story: If I was gonna be in the market for another XC/XR.. I'd get a Magnum, put on a quick detach luggage rack and get a lightweight trunk to put on it. I guess some guys think they need to have quadraphonic stereo that comes with the OEM trunk but to me that extra weight is just a NO. Before you buy one try one w/out that kiloton brick on the back and go hit a backroad or 2. Maybe you'll have a different opinion, but at least that way you'll know if you mind it or not.
If you get a Magnum X1 you will have the speaker lids. Thus Dynamic surround sound.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Man I am totally digging the Beach bars / Board walk bars. Really makes the lines on the bike look longer.
I know, right?
I used to have an old Yamaha with bars like those. There is nothing like riding in the upright position, spread eagle into the wind, to the gentle rumble of some vintage sounding pipes.

Reactions: slickvic
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.